Towers or bookshelfs for 10 x 12 bedroom

That evil-bay listing stated it was for 'ONE' RB-5ii. Be careful!

I've had my RB-81ii's for >21 months, replacing them ~10 months back in my 10' x 11' x 9'  BR - turned home office with a pair of exc condition '77 vintage Heresy's. I moved the RB-81ii's to my upstairs hobby/bonus room where they finally got to sit atop a pair of SB24 HD (They are huge... and weigh >27lb/ea!) stands in the room corners  WOW! They have slightly better bass than the Heresys - but the Heresys have both a mid and a high frequency horn - hard to beat! Still, Amazon has new RB-81ii's for ~$560/pr... front-ported, they could fit on a shelf (A big and strong one!) - and Amazon is pretty good re returns.

Any of these things are good options. The lesson to be learned here is...

1. There are always a multitude of options.

2. New doesn't equate to being better.

3. Don't be afraid to buy a used product to save some money.

• Like 1

I'll add to THK's post above --

In the end, we often obsess about what would be "best", when in reality the better question is, what will sound really good and not be expensive?

In that room you could easily buy a pair of RB51s for $100-$150, pair it with any Klipsch sub, say a R10SW for $100 or $125 used and have a really good system.

If you want a higher quality sub then I would stay with that SB1000 or PB1000 (or the recent NSD sale) because the size is reasonable (especially the SB or NSD)

So I'm pretty sure you could have very good sound for as little as $200!  

Think about how important it is for you to be able to bring this setup to your new place when it becomes available....maybe it's more important to have something easy to sell so you can upgrade when you have your own room?  That might be a worthwhile option to consider.  

The problems I see with both the Chorus and the 4.2's is space.  Both will be wider than the towers you have now.  The Chorus are considerably bigger - and an awesome speaker - but the problem again becomes footprint.  15" drivers...

I think the RP-160 and a sub would be a solid choice.  They can be bought for less than MSRP if you look around (Klipsch has them $110 off on this website right now).

In a bedroom setup bookshelves and a small sub are a great choice.  FWIW there is a guy on ebay that sells the Jamo J-110 and J-112 (10" and 12" subs) dirt-cheap, and those are a Klipsch brand and they are a solid choice for music and home theater.   I think between the deal on the RP-160's and the Jamo you'd only have around $600 in the speakers and sub and it would all be new.   

New RB-61ii's are still available new from Amazon for $349/pr shipped. Their 6.5" LF driver is front-ported - easier placement. Later versions with a warranty beat used C.L. for $275 in my book. You may not need a subwoofer, either. I don't have one on my RB-81ii's installation and despite it's 8" LF driver, it's only rated -3 dB @ 44 Hz vs the RB-61ii's -3 dB @ 45 Hz. The rear-ported RP-160M are $440/pr there.