K55V

JJkizak

JJ, you probably just need new gaskets from Bob Crites -

"Horn to driver gaskets:  $1.00 each.   I hope these gaskets will be ordered as an add-on with other items.  If you call me to order just gaskets, the minimum will be 10 gaskets" ,

http://www.critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

Or you could spring for a pair of A55G drivers to mate with the CT125s.  That is what I did for my 1990 K-Horns.

23 minutes ago, muel said:

I'm missing something... what is the connection between humidity and horn to driver gaskets?

Well, possibly, possibly, the gaskets have dried out, and when the humidity rises, they swell a bit and make a better seal.  Certainly an inexpensive experiment to try.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

Do you mean 4 wood carved pieces or old K55v's?  -JJK

LOL!  Yeah, I need some more projects!

Or I could order the 10 pieces and send you a couple.  I could use a couple for my Khorns.

Just let me know so we don't both duplicate the order.

4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I have noticed and correlated that when the weather gets really humid my mid-range gets crispy clear so wondering if the 1965 KEEV'S are in need of replacement on the K-horns and Cornwall.

JJK

Temperature and Humidity changes the speed of sound and it might be possible that you are experiencing how the acoustics in the room is being affected.

I've experienced this phenomenon myself and have wondered if it is acoustical or also because of mood shifts due to comfort level playing a part also in my perception.

miketn 

• Like 1

Remember that sound is different depending on how much moisture is in the air.  The amount of water vapor affects the sound.   On a dry winter night give the air a misting from a spray bottle of water and hear for yourself.  This is a pretty small effect but it's there and you may prefer it dryer or not.

2 hours ago, muel said:

Remember that sound is different depending on how much moisture is in the air.  The amount of water vapor affects the sound.   On a dry winter night give the air a misting from a spray bottle of water and hear for yourself.  This is a pretty small effect but it's there and you may prefer it dryer or not.

This humidity thing is really noticeable on my system, noticeable for me to say wow!, what is going on?.

JJK

10 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I placed the order today for three A55G's. - JJK

I thought you were kidding about the K-55-V's, but now I see what you were asking.  I was going to order 10 gaskets for ten bucks, not ten mid-horns!

Well I installed the new A55G's today. They came with new wiring and gaskets. The old K55V's were very hard to unscrew and the K-horns had no gaskets but the mating finish on the horns was very smooth. The Cornwall had a gasket and the mating finish was awful. One wonders how a 1" sound gets through a 5/8" hole. That's worth another thread.

I believe the K55V mid-range peaks were reduced because I had to raise the volume about 2 db. (Estimate 78-85 SPL) Most of the  voice hash on the music was eliminated on the FM HD stations but the commercials on all the stations were pristenely clean. None of the rock stations in my area can play the Beatles Revolution without a ton of distorted hash. Revolution plays fine from my record album or DVD. I did a super blasto test (about 98 SPL) on Crossroads DVD and it was just fine. Now I will probably mess around for hours changing center channel volume and about ten thousand other tweeks and come back to where I started in the first place.

JJK

• Like 1

21 hours ago, edmjm said:

what's your initial impression of the new drivers? slight or big difference or improvement on the sound compared to the k55v's?

I'm thinking of using the a55g in my cornscalla build

I can't say for sure if there was a big difference although the mid-range was lower in volume a touch. Distortion wise I "want" them to sound better but I know that has to be measured with test equipment assuming that 100% distortion is audible. But I will say that the balance between low-medium-high was improved. I did crank up the normal listening volume from 24 to 22 on the Denon scale, 10 to 5 being wall shatteringly loud. I also have the side and rear speakers disabled because  with medium and loud volume levels they create aural pandemonium. It's also amazing to me that the 52 year old K55V's were still functioning that well.

JJK

Less distortion can sound a little bit quieter... more distortion can seem louder.  There are graphs somewhere that show the comparison... didn't Crites post those?

I'm trying to figure out your avatar... but I'm getting hungry.

5 hours ago, muel said:

Less distortion can sound a little bit quieter... more distortion can seem louder.  There are graphs somewhere that show the comparison... didn't Crites post those?

I'm trying to figure out your avatar... but I'm getting hungry.

The avatar is called "Devils Trumpet" and the forum cuts off the bottom of the picture no matter how I modify it. I probably will change it pretty quick so you can go get a sandwich and a beer.

JJK