How much speaker can I get for $2000?

mrquery

16 hours ago, mrquery said:

Just now I got curious on the RF7's, I will do some more research.

FWIW, the seller (ronco21) that I recently bought my RF-7 II from stated:  Brand New Factory Sealed.   Full Factory Warranty.   Original First Run Cherry Veneer.    Minor Outer Carton/Packaging Scuff Only.  (I have no affiliation with the seller.)

Based on my experience, the only thing to be aware of is that I had to pick up the speakers at my local YRC freight terminal.   For me this was a painless process, and I almost prefer it to having to sit at home all day waiting for a delivery truck to show up – sometime between 7AM and 7PM  The worker at YRC cut the packages from the pallet, and helped me load them into my truck.  I was pleased with the purchase experience.

I decided on new RF-7 II vs. used heritage speakers for several reasons:  floor space, inability to find nice used heritage speakers locally, and my lack of interest (and skill) in completely rebuilding used speakers. 

I bought these additional RF-7 II for my basement system.   (I went from 2.1 to 4.2)   My basement is the only room where I might be able to fit something the size of La Scala, but not readily.   (My other 4 systems are limited to tower form factor.)

I’ve been watching CraigsList for quite a while, and most used Klipsch heritage speakers that became available were completely beat-up POS.   (There was one nice looking pair of Klipschorn for $3,500, but I can’t accommodate corner speakers).   Based on their appearance, my assumption is that all of the La Scala that I saw had been “used and abused”, and undoubtedly needed all new drivers, crossovers, cabinet refinish, etc.    Plus, most were painted black, and I’d end up with an ugly speaker.  I respect guys who rebuild speakers – but it’s not my cup of tea.  

Bottom line:  I got a brand-new, flawless pair of RF-7 II in beautiful cherry veneer for $1,799.   They take up a relatively small amount of floor space, and sound great with my tube amps.  I think this represents a great value.   I’m happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

I live in a medium sized city, and used La Scala speakers rarely become available.  When they do, they usually appear to have been used in a commercial environment - i.e., flat black cabinets with handles bolted to the side.   And they usually look like they've been drug behind a truck.  My assumption is that a 20+ year old pair of speakers that's been "road hard and put away wet" probably needs new drivers and crossovers in order to perform at their full potential.  And I'm not interested in the "industrial" look of black cabinets.

I recognize that many people live in large cities where good quality used gear becomes available more often.  And, again, I respect people who have the skills to rebuild speakers.

P.S.  The RF-7 II can be a little bright.  I recommend tube amps with tone controls.   IMO the RF-7 II sounds fabulous with a Scott 296.

P.P.S   If I had the room to accommodate them, I would have looked at the used Klipschorn that were available locally.  They appeared to be in excellent condition.  Asking price was $3,500.  I would have liked to have heard them, but I didn't want to waste the seller's time.

• Like 1

As you have heard Klipsch speakers all sound great and you really should listen to a few. All their tower speakers sound amazing with exceptional base response. We have a like new pair of Heresey II's with shipping boxes and paperwork we are not using.

Mike

I suggest a pair of Heresy's... add maybe a decent sub, if you must. Try them out from your wall a bit and canted in before adding the sub. My vintage pair, with essentially the same mid and high frequency horns as the same vintage K-horns, ceased my 'hunt'. I drive them with a 50 Wpc Emotiva A-100 BasX fed only by an Onkyo C-7030 CDP in a music-only 2.0 setup. They are inboard along the 12 ft wall and canted in ~40 degrees an centered 7 ft apart, in my carpeted 12 ft wide by 11.5 ft deep by 9 feet tall BR-turned-home office. Whether listening to vintage Marianne Faithful or Norah Jones; Bonnie Raitt or Adele; Dave Brubeck Q. "Time Out" or Getz/Byrd "Jazz Samba"; or even any Clapton or Paul Simon's 'Graceland', wow!

I would have no problem blowing your $2k on a brand new pair of Heresy iii's - in your choice of veneers.

Of all the Klipsch I have heard to date, the KLF30 are tough to beat and based upon the design you currently have I think you would be happy with them.

Very powerful 3-way with excellent bass capabilities, and terrific, spine-tingling highs.  Forum member SWL had the pair I heard, and I believe he had the Crites upgrades.

SWL imo is a really good resource for you if you can reach out to him or he finds this thread.

#SWL

I also hope CEC will jump in with a few pro equipment options as you look to me like a guy looking for a cool blow them away setup with massive capability.

A few more traditional choices that I think are unique and cool --

Recently a member had RF-63s for sale, I think those would be a really fun and great speaker

RF7s, I would look at these as the new 3s are coming out and as soon as they do, many owners will be selling their old RF7s to try the new ones (cheap opportunity, <$1000 pair)

• Like 2