New Playmates for Jubes

richieb

Been on a straight Jube diet since mid-February so when this opportunity presented itself I didn't think long. Been using all SS on the Jubes for a month or two but this weekend I can envision placing the LaScalla with a tube amp and have a listen. Actually I'd bet on it - the underground hifi vault is nice and cool while 102 is beating down outside. Same for the weekend. Dig me out some tube amps, LaScalla, underground - Can You Dig It? Cool Man, Cool ----

10 minutes ago, richieb said:

Been on a straight Jube diet since mid-February so when this opportunity presented itself I didn't think long. Been using all SS on the Jubes for a month or two but this weekend I can envision placing the LaScalla with a tube amp and have a listen. Actually I'd bet on it - the underground hifi vault is nice and cool while 102 is beating down outside. Same for the weekend. Dig me out some tube amps, LaScalla, underground - Can You Dig It? Cool Man, Cool ----

These are not the Playmates I was hoping to see.

25 minutes ago, richieb said:

Been on a straight Jube diet since mid-February so when this opportunity presented itself I didn't think long. Been using all SS on the Jubes for a month or two but this weekend I can envision placing the LaScalla with a tube amp and have a listen.

It is hard to listen to other speakers when you have Jubilees. After I was convinced by forum members to do the active Jubilees instead of passives with tubes I pulled my wife's SS amps for the Xilica and have not looked back. So earlier week I fired up the tubes on the Chorus II's and realized I have two really good systems. Life is good in America.

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

These are not the Playmates I was hoping to see.

I don't know - I think they are rather shapely? And you didn't notice they dropped their emblems? You must be a (b)asss bin kinda guy -- Eyes up here Carl, eyes up here ---

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

It is hard to listen to other speakers when you have Jubilees. After I was convinced by forum members to do the active Jubilees instead of passives with tubes I pulled my wife's SS amps for the Xilica and have not looked back. So earlier week I fired up the tubes on the Chorus II's and realized I have two really good systems. Life is good in America.

Ive owned various tubes and SS amps for some time but have pretty much gone all SS for the Jubes, passively mind you. The Nelson Pass First Watt gear is really good on Jubes but just the other day I brought in Hypex nCore Class D which is pretty amazing to put it mildly. My understanding is that the Hypex nCore is head and shoulders above the module from  B&O Ice Class D and Hypexs' own UcD Class D. Claude raved about these amps in a post while back. I've owned dozens of tube and SS over the years and these things just might be the real deal. From top to bottom they really pump life into the Jubes and at 400 a side they should. Obviously 400 watts is crazy nuts and I listen to a mere fraction but its the absolute black background, detail, bass with control, extremely smooth yet "you are there" presentation that captures you. And although they do not run as cool as chip amps they operate much cooler and much more efficiently than Nelson's Class A designs. As I have more than enough amps I will most likely try active this winter. But right now it is a shockingly good sounding rig.  

• Like 1

I do intend to try tubes on the 402's to see what that sounds like. Since my Jubilees came with K691's getting a passive was too much of a challenge for me and did not seem like Roy was in favor of passives - I don't want to speak for Roy though. I was surprised how well the SS amps open up the sound stage with the Jubilees, something I had to use tubes for on the Chorus II's. (Same SS amps on Jub's originally purchased for the Chorus II's.)

I will follow the threads talking about and reviewing the Hypex nCore to see if that will be my next direction - I have two kids to get through college so I am wondering about their cost and it may be time to start saving for them. I really enjoy learning on this forum but it is starting to lower my WAF.