Elegy for a really nice mailbox

Chris A

On 7/21/2017 at 4:48 PM, JJkizak said:

Just as well. The city right of way  usually extends even with the telephone poles and if you erect something there that is not to code (Steel posts, concrete posts, huge rocks) you

can be sued if a vehicle hits it and the operator is injured or dies. Consider it lucky the owner of the mailbox did not get sued yet.

My mailbox is also in the "road easement". But so is everybody else's in my neighborhood. If they weren't we would not get our mail. A postal employee actually walk 20' to a mailbox? Not in this day and age.

Anyway who knows about the woman who demolished Chris A's neighbor's mailbox. There is an opioid epidemic in this country. She may have been high. Who knows. But most likely it was just an accident

2 hours ago, babadono said:

My mailbox is also in the "road easement". But so is everybody else's in my neighborhood. If they weren't we would not get our mail. A postal employee actually walk 20' to a mailbox? Not in this day and age.

Anyway who knows about the woman who demolished Chris A's neighbor's mailbox. There is an opioid epidemic in this country. She may have been high. Who knows. But most likely it was just an accident

What I was getting at was the fact that everybody"s mailbox is normally mounted on a (breakaway) wood post in the right of way. When you change to a metal or concrete post that's what peeks the lawyer's interest. Then after removing the wood it is no longer considered breakaway.

JJK

Resurrection... 

IMG_3143.png.1bf36861519f4fd036fdf03773157edf.png

Actually, it was done two days ago but the mortar was still wet.

Chris

• Like 3

One of the places that I used to live (there have been so many that I have forgotten which) had an ordinance that mailboxes must be on wooden posts of not more than sixteen square inches cross-sectional area (4x4). It was specifically to prevent injury to automobile drivers.

1 minute ago, Edgar said:

One of the places that I used to live (there have been so many that I have forgotten which) had an ordinance that mailboxes must be on wooden posts of not more than sixteen square inches cross-sectional area (4x4). It was specifically to prevent injury to automobile drivers.

We had those back in the 80's.  They all rotted in the ground.

10 hours ago, babadono said:

A postal employee actually walk 20' to a mailbox? Not in this day and age.

The postal employees in my neighborhood still walk their routes, and deliver porch to porch.

Growing up, the waste management employees would walk into our side yard, lift the garbage cans out of the ground and walk them down the front stairs to the truck, only to walk them back up alongside  the house and lower them back into the ground!

We never had a milk delivery person, no matter what my father says...

On 7/26/2017 at 10:54 PM, mungkiman said:

The postal employees in my neighborhood still walk their routes, and deliver porch to porch.

Growing up, the waste management employees would walk into our side yard, lift the garbage cans out of the ground and walk them down the front stairs to the truck, only to walk them back up alongside  the house and lower them back into the ground!

We never had a milk delivery person, no matter what my father says...

we had a milkman as a kid in the 

late 60s...and I remember the doctor stopping by to check me out..Dr. Panzone lived around the corner..

On 7/26/2017 at 1:39 PM, oldtimer said:

We can rebuild it.  We have the technology!

The six million dollar mailbox ! It could have a bionic flag. That's the coolest sound, when he used his bionic powers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Mine is solid.  It's completely full of rebar and mortar.  The rebar is dowled into the street and the sidewalk.   I suppose you could knock it over but it's going to do some damage.

20170730_202557.jpg

Your not going with the flow here. What if that kid with a baseball bat breaks his arm on your mailbox and then sues?  You will be on the 6 o'clock NEWS explaining why you so viciously broke that poor kids arm.

JJK

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 9:59 AM, JJkizak said:

Your not going with the flow here. What if that kid with a baseball bat breaks his arm on your mailbox and then sues?  You will be on the 6 o'clock NEWS explaining why you so viciously broke that poor kids arm.

JJK

CECAA lives in Texas. He could simply argue the mailbox was 'standing its ground'.