Elegy for a really nice mailbox

Chris A

On 7/21/2017 at 3:54 PM, Chris A said:

It was like a friend for the past 18 years.  I feel a strange sense of loss in its passing.

18 years, that is some times together. Imagine the hundreds of years of loss, the thousands of years of decay and the millions of years of compression that formed the rocks that were used to make a mailbox. 

Rocks rock :rockon:

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The only stipulations that there were when my box was built was that the actual metal box in the masonry was US post office approved.  There was also a set height 

I used the most durable mailbox I could find. I sure don't want to chisel out brick to replace a cheap box.

24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The bottom line is there is no difference between a masonry mailbox with permission to one without, except for someone with a control problem.

In my case it's business. If I charge somebody $ I better make sure it's okay to build there. That's why I always have the homeowner deal with the postmaster.

7 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

18 years, that is some times together. Imagine the hundreds of years of loss, the thousands of years of decay and the millions of years of compression that formed the rocks that were used to make a mailbox. 

Rocks rock :rockon:

Whoa - Now that is Deep. Quarry deep. Maybe mined by Fred Flinstone at Slate Rock and Gravel ?? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I used the most durable mailbox I could find. I sure don't want to chisel out brick to replace a cheap box.

Funny you should mention that!

Mortar poured directly over a steel mailbox not only causes it to rust quickly but also makes it very difficult to remove. 

mailbox002.png

mailbox001.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, muel said:

Funny you should mention that!

Mortar poured directly over a steel mailbox not only causes it to rust quickly but also makes it very difficult to remove. 

mailbox002.png

mailbox001.png

Probably should be wrapped in insulation or a fabric. Mortar will lock it in there.

16 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I think it would. 

Surprisingly a Ford Minivan vehicle out of control in our front yard snapped off a 9" diameter telephone pole and

a small 7" diameter tulip tree 3 feet away (clean off) from it estimated going 50 mph. At the same time the underbody was scraping on

a 30 foot line of huge rocks about 2 feet high taking pieces off the tops of the rocks. The vehicle was totaled and the of the three young

disoriented occupants two were handcuffed and taken away, the third one in an ambulance. These were not in the right of way.

The mailbox was missed by inches. I made some artwork out of the tulip tree stump after pulling it out with my Cub Cadet mower.

JJK

• Like 1