Ignore IGNORANCE & Boorish behavior

DizRotus

Neil, it's very difficult to work with this discussion while being euphemistic.  Let it suffice that certain business owners are very well protected on here.  When Ken, owner of AEA  Audio, tried to become an active forum participant he was truly run off  here because he posed a significant threat to the financial interests of ........ (fill in whomever you wish).  It was so obvious that some of my non-social (they don't participate in forums) audiophile acquaintances instantly picked up what was going on. This problem is as evident today as it was when I joined this forum years ago.  And, anyone who was reading the mail on here a few years ago knows why Mark and Jason left.  I miss having guys with their intelligence and skill set  with whom tube equipment could be discussed in electronic terms.  Their insights and explanations would have been very instructional for those wishing to learn some audio electronics.

You mentioned other forums.  What I like about those such as  Audio Asylum and Audio Circle is that manufacturers, or other industry professionals, are very clearly identified.  And, in all the years I've followed the discussions on audio forums, I have NEVER encountered any of the industry identified individuals bashing or otherwise criticizing their competitors.  And, if they did, it would have only hurt their business.  Of course, on there, the moderators would have immediately dealt with the issue. Here, we all know that this is a permitted activity.  William is quite correct in pointing this out in his comments above. 

So, the environment on here is absolutely different from other audio forums.  The social media side of things is fine for those who enjoy the chatter.  It adds a different dimension which some prefer.  But, with all of that, I know guys who wanted to participate on here but were so disgusted by what is permitted that they chose to join other forums instead.  To each his own.

Wish I had time to continue but obligations call!

Maynard  

The issue of competing businesses is not the intended subject of this thread. Civility is the subject.  

I can name members with businesses that Kilpsch sees as competitors who post respectfully and are not run off.  Mark was banned due to his behavior, not because he had a business.

The unfortunate tendency to take disagreements personally is exacerbated when one's business is involved.  Some can handle it and are still around, others could not and are gone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The issue of competing businesses is not the intended subject of this thread. Civility is the subject.  

I can name members with businesses that Kilpsch sees as competitors who post respectfully and are not run off.  Mark was banned due to his behavior, not because he had a business.

The unfortunate tendency to take disagreements personally is exacerbated when one's business is involved.  Some can handle it and are still around, others could not and are gone.

Civility is exactly why I mentioned competing businesses.  The least civil discussions I have seen involved  business owners feeling threatened by potential loss of revenue....

Now I really need to get to work.

Maynard

• Like 2

I have no prejudices...I hate everybody equally, regardless of sex, race, color, country of origin, sexual preference, creed, or audio equipment/brand preferences.  BUT, I hate everybody equally WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE.  That's called DIPLOMACY!

NOW...that being said...just WHICH FORUM MEMBER was it who said H/K 430 twin-powered receivers are ANTIQUATED JUNK??:o

If I'm a bad person, you don't like me
Well, I guess I'll make my own way
It's a circle, a mean cycle
I can't excite you anymore

Where's your gavel? Your jury?
What's my offense this time?
You're not a judge but if you're gonna judge me
Well, sentence me to another life

Don't wanna hear your sad songs
I don't wanna feel your pain
When you swear it's all my fault
'Cause you know we're not the same
No, we're not the same, oh, we're not the same

Yeah, The friends who stuck together
We wrote our names in blood
But I guess you can't accept that the change is good
It's good, it's good

Well, you treat me just like another stranger
Well, it's nice to meet you, sir
I guess I'll go, I best be on my way out

You treat me just like another stranger
Well, it's nice to meet you, sir
I guess I'll go, I best be on my way out

Ignorance is your new best friend
Ignorance is your new best friend

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

When the same few members regularly express their dislike of other members, it's a problem.  If reasonable requests from moderators are made and the offenders are still unable to resist negative personal attacks -- even if in self defense -- then they demonstrate a lack of maturity necessary for a public forum.  It is possible to be civil and respectful, even while disagreeing.

FWIW, I don't buy the clique argument.  Members have been banned despite attending gatherings in Hope.

BS statment.

When you get Bullied (for Years) for NO reason, THEN you will know WHAT it feels like.

"sanitized fantasy land kumbaya view of the world"

I am now following my late dads advice, im doing something for the betterment of the world.

Stop the bullys. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

FWIW, I don't buy the clique argument.

If you don't buy it, that's OK.  We all have our point of view.

Whether or not someone personally agrees with the idea of cliques within the Klipsch forum, I hope we can acknowledge that others feel that it is real.  I have heard this said by other members before this thread. 

The person who invited me to join the Klipsch forum no longer posts here, and he said the reason he left was because of how he was not in the "clique" and he felt belittled and ostracized.

That's enough evidence for me to believe there is a clique environment where certain members are not held to the same standards of proper conduct as the rest of us.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I have no prejudices...I hate everybody equally, regardless of sex, race, color, country of origin, sexual preference, creed, or audio equipment/brand preferences.  BUT, I hate everybody equally WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE.  That's called DIPLOMACY!

NOW...that being said...just WHICH FORUM MEMBER was it who said H/K 430 twin-powered receivers are ANTIQUATED JUNK??:o

Not yours truly.   Based upon your recommendation, years ago now, I've owned several and have passed them on to friends and family.  But, if some forum member called h/k twin-powered receivers "ANTIQUATED JUNK," I would resist a clever retort and ignore the ignorant fool.

2 hours ago, minermark said:

BS statment.

When you get Bullied (for Years) for NO reason, THEN you will know WHAT it feels like.

Mark,

We disagree.  Over the many years I've been called names many times by many people on this forum.  One time a very prolific poster said:

"xxxxxxxx ", on 24 Apr 2011 - 08:10 AM, said:

DizRotus can you lighten up with the Bob Crite's endorsements........I personally like Bob....but you tend to have a degrading tone in your posts...I seen a lot of things over the last 8500 posts...stick around and you will know what I mean. AND, know one ever said the squawker was the only thing not working.....the HF fuses should be checked before we start recommending crossover swaps."

I was dumbfounded.  Who could find fault with an endorsement of Bob Crites?  Rather than empower the fool, I ignored him.  I could have corrected his spelling, punctuation, word choice, syntax and grammar, if making him feel small would, somehow, make me feel better.  It wouldn't , so I resisted the urge to strike back.  Now, sadly, he's long gone, along with his useful knowledge.  He could not resist personally criticizing what he felt, incorrectly, were personal attacks by many on the forum.  How can a reasonable person respond to a forum member's claim that recommending Bob Crites to a newbie is somehow a personal criticism of him?  I resisted a retort; he's gone; I stuck around.

Stuff like the foregoing is annoying, but I don't feel "bullied."  I find that ignoring the insults works best for me.  I just consider the source and choose not to empower the "bully" by letting him/her know that they struck a nerve. YMMV

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Mark,

We disagree.  Over the many years I've been called names many times by many people on this forum.  One time a very prolific poster said:

"xxxxxxxx ", on 24 Apr 2011 - 08:10 AM, said:

DizRotus can you lighten up with the Bob Crite's endorsements........I personally like Bob....but you tend to have a degrading tone in your posts...I seen a lot of things over the last 8500 posts...stick around and you will know what I mean. AND, know one ever said the squawker was the only thing not working.....the HF fuses should be checked before we start recommending crossover swaps."

I was dumbfounded.  Who could find fault with an endorsement of Bob Crites?  Rather than empower the fool, I ignored him.  I could have corrected his spelling, punctuation, word choice, syntax and grammar, if making him feel small would, somehow, make me feel better.  It wouldn't , so I resisted the urge to strike back.  Now , sadly, he's long gone, along with his useful knowledge.  He could not resist personally criticizing what he felt, incorrectly, were personal attacks by many on the forum.  How can a reasonable person respond to a forum member's claim that recommending Bob Crites to a newbie is somehow a personal criticism of him?  I resisted a retort; he's gone; I stuck around.

Stuff like the foregoing is annoying, but I don't feel "bullied."  I find that ignoring the insults works best for me.  I just consider the source and choose not to empower the "bully" by letting him/her know that they struck a nerve. YMMV

Our case it point of being bulled are different.

My guy started chiming in on every post/thread/comment, belittling/demeaning/discrediting.will be taken care all in due time(my Way), dad taught me well...... till then Peace......

Merriam-Webster's

Definition of clique

:  a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons; especially :  one held together by common interests, views, or purposes high school cliques

This is treading on dangerous territory, but I'll take the plunge.  Dave, @wvu80, I'm not diminishing the fact that some feel excluded from certain groups on the forum, which is not the same as saying that others deliberately try to make them feel like outsiders.  That dynamic is, all but, unavoidable in a large group, whether it's a church, audio forum, or college marching band.  Everyone won't like everyone else equally.

Are there people on the forum with whom I feel more of an affinity than others?  Sure there are.  On the other hand, there are some whose posts I regularly ignore, because I'm not interested or I know it will be nonsense, or worse, vitriolic.  

I do not feel there is a systematic exclusion of some by the moderators, such as to create a clique.  To the contrary, I feel moderators would be entitled to scold, and then exclude, many who consistently demonstrate a lack of maturity in this setting.  

For example, the RTM thread.  I pop in there occasionally, but not like the regulars.  Would it be possible to feel like I was crashing a private party?  It would, but it doesn't.  The regulars are always welcoming and tolerate my sporadic participation.  If I chimed in to say that someone's choice of music is "stupid" or that anyone who likes, or dislikes, certain types of music or bands is a moron, the regulars would be entitled to make me feel like an intruder.

Regarding the forum, I do not feel like a part of a clique, nor do I feel excluded from a clique.  To paraphrase Grouch Marx,  "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me."

• Moderators
8 hours ago, wdecho said:

I agree with the fact that self-promotion  has largely been stopped but not willingly by the moderators of which you are not aware.

Well who did it ? Yes we are aware, Klipsch never gave us much to go on with this, before it was allowed if it wasn't obvious. Except for the TOS we have nothing to go on. There is a section where moderators go when they think there is a problem, this was done so all can decide if something needs to be done instead of only one opinion.  

Chad is the forum admin, and is never here, have not heard from him for a long time.

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If you don't buy it, that's OK.  We all have our point of view.

Whether or not someone personally agrees with the idea of cliques within the Klipsch forum, I hope we can acknowledge that others feel that it is real.  I have heard this said by other members before this thread. 

The person who invited me to join the Klipsch forum no longer posts here, and he said the reason he left was because of how he was not in the "clique" and he felt belittled and ostracized.

That's enough evidence for me to believe there is a clique environment where certain members are not held to the same standards of proper conduct as the rest of us.

Cliques could be real here, there are alot of people posting, some are closer than others, are we expected to read everything and stop this ? If so, I quit and the others may feel the same.

As far a moderating, no one gets special treatment, I wish everyone could see where the moderators talk about possible problems just for 5  minutes. How many people posting in many different threads and sections, what are the odds of 2 moderators and 2 helpers ability to form cliques, were lucky just to keep up with watching for bad words, pictures or political and religious post ? 

Want to know the truth, there are a couple members I would ban just because the aggravate me, but it's not up to just me and it's not fair just because I don't care for them, so I try to ignore it.  Yes I have called people I do like, after deleting their post, just to say stop or you will be banned were tired of it, not really cliquish in my mind.

Anyway I was out of town for days and came back to find out there was vote for new mods and they picked me and others. Everyone likes to post here and just enjoy, it kind of takes some of the fun out of it to be a mod, especially when we get blamed for things we can't control even if we wanted to. 

Anyone want my job, send a message to Chad, you can have it. Just so you know it pays nothing but you're expected to be responsible or at least take blame for whatever goes anyway people feel is not right. Oh and just so you know you are expected to reel in any of the hundreds of  personalities and people trying to sell things, on thousands of threads. Sounds great doesn't it.

If I don't post for many days at times, it's on purpose, sometimes I just say xxxxx it, I didn't sign up for daycare, thought it was adults.

• Like 6