Ignore IGNORANCE & Boorish behavior

DizRotus

Please, when a post is stupid, ignore it.  To reply to it to point out the stupidity only makes it worse.

Please, if you feel insulted by a post, just ignore it.  The rest of us don't need to know about childish feuds.  You only empower your tormentor -- real or imagined -- by expressing your displeasure.

Please, ignore what you perceive to be stupidity, rudeness, or whatever you find offensive.  The knuckleheads will grow bored and slither away if we just ignore them.

Back to your regularly scheduled postings.  Have a great weekend.

• Like 8

Ignorance is usually a result of "contempt prior to investigation".

Life's experiences so far haven't provided me the perspective to see things as a chance to learn or share, but as a threat to the ego.

I get it, it is an old habit of mine that won't die. And ignorance is far from bliss now. It requires an incredible expenditure of energy (all negative) for me to rationalize the dischord between my heart and mind. 

A reminder that thin skin and a thick head isn't an excuse for an opinion. 

...what was it that Clint Eastwoods character Dirty Harry had to say about opinions...?

I have been in suspense since a sage old man shared this quote with me years ago..."A smart man knows what to say, a wise man knows whether or not to say it." 

• Like 1

DizRotus,

You and I joined this forum the same year.  If we go back to those early years and consider the amount of rudeness and character-bashing that took place then compared to now, I think we would both agree things have changed very much for the better.  And on the whole, I agree with you in terms of just leaving nasty and unkind commentary alone.  In a social context such as this, though, when a fellow forum member, or his or her costly and carefully chosen audio equipment is ridiculed, disparaged, or otherwise unfairly and/or rudely criticized, it would not be unexpected for another forum member to pass on the reminder that we are here to share ideas and thoughts about a common strong interest - not to use it as a platform for flinging insults at others as a way of inflating one's own ego.

It depends on how it's handled, I think.  To not respond to inappropriate, bullying behavior is also another way of allowing it to continue.  It is NOT ok.  We should abide by mutually agreed-upon forum etiquette, where such behavior is not only not allowed, but also not tolerated.  A little bit of healthy argument is good; bullying or criticizing others is not good.

You obviously felt strongly enough about this to comment on it yourself, which, while it is yet another contribution to the subject under discussion and does not simply ignore it, I do appreciate your attitude and your effort.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Sorry :( I just can't help but to say dumb things sometimes. .......like that

But never mean, I already do what you say most of the time, you're right it only keeps it going, no one is required to like what is said, ignore it and move on.

And like Erik2A3 said it was much worse years ago and it get's quite boring and I am sure ran off some good people. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Coytee said:

Does this explain why everyone ignores me? :huh:

Well if you have to ask :o:lol:

13 hours ago, Coytee said:

Wimp...  I thought it was clever.

:emotion-21:

It was, (had to look at the editing) , that kind of thing is different, it seems to really stand out when it's meant to antagonize or bully. Some people are more sensitive to it and can take it the wrong way, Coytee, well he's seen it all by now, we don't have to worry about him. mostly 

Everyone has their days and say things they normally wouldn't, when it happens regularly, or always aimed at one person it becomes a problem. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Well if you have to ask :o:lol:

It was, (had to look at the editing) , that kind of thing is different, it seems to really stand out when it's meant to antagonize or bully. Some people are more sensitive to it and can take it the wrong way, Coytee, well he's seen it all by now, we don't have to worry about him. mostly

Except around earlobes of the female kind  ;)

Everyone has their days and say things they normally wouldn't, when it happens regularly, or always aimed at one person it becomes a problem. 

Please don't think I'm suggesting that we must all always agree, far from it.  Without spirited exchanges, it would get boring.

Disagreements can, and should, be expressed without personal attacks or insults.  It's not pleasant observing such personal feuds in public.  It's up to the moderators to curb such negatively personal exchanges before they escalate to the point of expulsion.

A public forum like this is not for the thin-skinned.  Many valuable contributors have been lost following too many heated personal attacks.  Perhaps if others had left it to the moderators to privately scold such immature behavior, some of them would still be around.  Disagreements are welcomed, insulting personal attacks, even if "counter punching" should be resisted.

I frequent several other audio themed forums.  This is by far the best and the most active.  On other audio forums that have the potential for specific expert advice, posts can go weeks without a response.  Serious questions here quickly generate serious. -- and some not so serious -- responses.  The areas of expertise are vast.  The common interest in audio, especially the high efficiency and low distortion of horn loaded speakers, specifically Klipsch, is the glue that binds us.

Some have expressed dissatisfaction with threads that seem to be not related to audio, in general, or Klipsch, in particular.  IMO, those "social" threads contribute mightily to the sense of family that makes the forum great.  IMO, they also generate the activity that produces the rapid and useful replies.  If you don't like the social threads, avoid them.  Those who appreciate them do not need to be made aware your negative opinion.

This is tricky, but intent seems to be the issue.  If kidding comments are exchanged between members who know they are respected by each other, the only danger is that newbies won't understand.  What bothers me are "clever" comments that are intended to insult.  I don't need, or want, to know that forum members dislike each other.

Please resist the temptation to publicly personally insult, no matter how "clever" you think you are.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, geoff. said:

Ignorance is usually a result of "contempt prior to investigation".

Life's experiences so far haven't provided me the perspective to see things as a chance to learn or share, but as a threat to the ego.

The first sentence describes what happens on here far too often.  And, in such cases, it is the obligation of those who see through it to point out the flawed statements to others.  This is especially important when the person making the contemptuous statement is doing so with the sole object of self promotion.  I've lost count of the number of times that someone, whose word is considered gospel by many, has said something to the effect that "brand XXX equipment is crap because I say so" (the unstated implication being that theirs is much better).  And, when this is publicly pointed out, the individual gets terribly offended and starts the usual forum "war."  Sadly, with this being a public forum which is read by many who do not participate, such misinformation must be corrected.  

Just the take of an old crab who has seen much over the years...............

Maynard

• Like 2

Maynard @tube fanatic

I agree that inaccurate information can, and should, be corrected.  It can be done respectfully.  

If some knucklehead gets upset because someone else prefers Luxman to Denon, and states that Denon is crap, is it really necessary to point out to lurkers that Denon is not crap?  In any case, a positive opinion regarding Denon can be shared without disparaging Luxman or the Luxman fan.

If some ignoramus offers the opinion that tubes are antiquated junk, and class D chip amps are the best, it can be dealt with civilly.  There's no hope for members, or lurkers, who need to be continually reminded that the opinions being expressed are, merely the opinions of the one expressing them.  It is possible to challenge opinions without attacking the opinionated.

There will always be those who interpret any disagreement as a personal attack.  If I like Cheys and you like Fords, by liking Fords you're attacking me personally.  Such immature thin-skinned individuals are probably not going to last long in a public forum.  The tragedy is that their valuable knowledge will be lost if the only way to curb personal attacks is to ban the attacker.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

The first sentence describes what happens on here far too often.  And, in such cases, it is the obligation of those who see through it to point out the flawed statements to others.  This is especially important when the person making the contemptuous statement is doing so with the sole object of self promotion.  I've lost count of the number of times that someone, whose word is considered gospel by many, has said something to the effect that "brand XXX equipment is crap because I say so" (the unstated implication being that theirs is much better).  And, when this is publicly pointed out, the individual gets terribly offended and starts the usual forum "war."  Sadly, with this being a public forum which is read by many who do not participate, such misinformation must be corrected.  

Just the take of an old crab who has seen much over the years...............

Maynard

You should have been here years ago Maynard. That's why I no longer have tube equipment. And you would have thought he resided in the heavens by reading here.

Keith

14 hours ago, wdecho said:

Who has allowed this happen over the years? Could it be the biased moderators of old taking sides with their friends who attend the Klipsch gathering every year?

I understand your pontification but the self-promotion of old was largely stopped. It had nothing to do with moderators. I'm not sure what the reference is but things are different now. But I don't hang out here as much as I once did.

Keith

My concern is not about members having businesses that Klipsch sees as "competitors."  To me, that alone was not a problem, but I understand the legitimate concern on the part of Klipsch.

I have never owned a single fruit themed piece of audio gear, but, through this forum, I got a lot of useful information, including personal assistance regarding a Dynaco SCA-35, from the founder.  Clearly it was necessary to ban him, including his subsequent iterations, when his rants and attacks were unacceptable.  Perhaps he and the man from the Maryland Eastern Shore were never going to survive this environment.  In any case, the loss of their expertise is substantial.

My point is, no matter how egregious you perceive the attack, stupidity, error, whatever, resist  the urge to express your negative opinion publicly in a manner that is, or can be reasonably interpreted as, a personal attack.  In the No BS forum, the rules are more loose regarding the topics of opinions, but, even there personal attacks are technically prohibited.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 2:52 AM, dtel said:

When the same few members regularly express their dislike of other members, it's a problem.  If reasonable requests from moderators are made and the offenders are still unable to resist negative personal attacks -- even if in self defense -- then they demonstrate a lack of maturity necessary for a public forum.  It is possible to be civil and respectful, even while disagreeing.

FWIW, I don't buy the clique argument.  Members have been banned despite attending gatherings in Hope.

• Like 1