Speaker Shuffling...

...anyone shuffle speakers between their music systems???...I do from time to time...today I decided to take a pair of Klipsch RB-5s that are bi-wired and bi-amped out from a system run by one of the Panasonic digital receivers set up for stereo...(SA-XR55)...

I had this system set up to try to hear the differences that bi-wiring and bi-amping might make to my listening experience...I felt like I heard the tiniest of volume bump and a bit more detail but not enough to proclaim "A New Beginning" :D

I recently found myself without any stereo with the ability to play my old vinyl records and was able to re-acquire a somewhat neglected Nakamichi SR-2...cleaned the pots with DeOxit (highly recommend THIS product after several false starts with other brands failing) and listened through updated (Bob Crites crossover rebuilds and Titanium tweeter diaphragms) kg2s I bought in 1987 or so...

I decided to switch the kg2s with my RB-5s...90.5 dB to 96dB efficiency and a decade between manufacture...

the RB-5s sound very clean with the Nakamichi...listening to vinyl...lots of detail...I listened to the same album with the kg2s and then the RB-5s...the RB-5s sound more detailed (despite the kgs sounding fine) and of course louder at the same volume steering because of the efficiency...

Just now listening to some Pink Floyd The Endless River and they are sounding sweet as well...I'm guessing the higher power of the Panasonic 100wpc trumps the more modest 30wpc...

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

tried the RB-5s with an EICO HF-81 Tube set up and I don't like the EICO with the RB-5s (or at least not as much) as I like the EICO with Quartets...similarly, I prefer the Nakamichi Phono Section with the RB-5s than I did with kg2s or Quartets...

YMMV and good luck with your choice...he said to himself ;) and maybe willand... B)

Bill

1 hour ago, silversport said:

tried the RB-5s with an EICO HF-81 Tube set up and I don't like the EICO with the RB-5s (or at least not as much) as I like the EICO with Quartets...similarly, I prefer the Nakamichi Phono Section with the RB-5s than I did with kg2s or Quartets...

YMMV and good luck with your choice...he said to himself ;) and maybe willand... B)

Bill

When you were using the sa-xr, were you using it in party mode to biamp? I wonder  how it sounds compared to the Nakimichi. I have one myself, the xr45, and it sounds much, much better with the digital coaxial input than it does with rca's. I use mine n my HT, but I've thought of picking one up to try with the Quartets. The digital tone control doesn't degrade the signal in the way that analog does. I like too that you don't need a dac with the panasonic.

I did try that with th RB-5s...perhaps a touch more detail but may have been the placebo effect...the Panasonic has quite a bit more power that my little Nak SR-2A...

i use use the digital connections with the Panasonic too...

Bill

• Like 1