Power problems?

Tacdolan

Hi All,

I'm a complete noob with Sound and am starting off small with a pair of the RP-160's with a R-10SW and an Onkyo TK-RZ810 with other speakers to come.

Everything is set up and I did the AccuEq setup and it has set the speakers at 50 hz.

But I've got to turn the dial up to 50 to get it at any level that seems audible. I'm not looking to make my ears bleed, but I'm hoping to get rich, deep sound from the bookshelves.

The subwoofer is AMAZING (shakes my chest) but the bookshelves just don't seem to fill the room and kind of feel like they are struggling with the tweeters working more than the woofers. (I've neither bi-wired nor bi-amped)

I've been trying to educate myself on watts and ohms and hz and it's very daunting, but I'd love any input/thoughts.  

I appreciate it greatly

Cheers

David

15 hours ago, Tacdolan said:

I'm a complete noob with Sound and am starting off small with a pair of the RP-160's with a R-10SW and an Onkyo TK-RZ810 with other speakers to come.

15 hours ago, Tacdolan said:

But I've got to turn the dial up to 50 to get it at any level that seems audible. I'm not looking to make my ears bleed, but I'm hoping to get rich, deep sound from the bookshelves.

Is the Onk new to you?  I've had an Onk TX NR-717 for three years.

It is normal for the Onk to be turned way up to get any kind of sound at all.  I run my Onk at 72 for normal (moderate) listening levels with my Khorns in a 3.1 to 5.1 setup.  Running it at 50 would be rather quiet.

That is a big change from the old school receivers that would blast your ears if turned up past halfway, but the high number is normal for these new age Onks.

I love the sound of the newer Onks and I think they sound great with Klipsch.

• Like 1

Thanks to all.

This Receiver is my first since i was a college kid way back in 1991 (!). And it's just a matter of getting to understand it, I suppose.

Question.  If I'm not mistaken I can go in the setup and  change the db ( I BELIEVE that is the one) and the bookshelves are then turned on and static/white noise comes forth (louder than they are when playing music) from the tweeters and if i bring them (db) to negative, the white noise lowers and if I raise it, it will grow louder. I have them at 0.0 at the moment. is that alright?

and Also, I will look around and see how to change the Hz to 80.

Thank you all for your time helping me. Greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, Tacdolan said:

Hi and thanks for your time. I'm eyeballing it by saying we are about 15 ft from the speakers which are about 5 ft apart (either side of TV) in a room that's roughly 25 X 12 X 25

roughly.

David

Big room, approximately 7500ft3.  Either move a bit closer to the TV/Screen, maybe 11ft away, or slide the speakers out some where they are around 8 to 9ft apart and toe them in a few degrees.  As a matter of fact, if possible, do a little of both.

Can you take a photo of the speakers and screen from your listening position and also from behind where you sit?

Bill  

• Like 1

The position of the volume control is almost irrelevant. Some manufacturers design their volume knobs with a lot of fine control of the first half of their rotation, so it's easier to fine tune the volume in the range most people listen, most often.

Some manufacturers design their volume pots so the volume gets real loud with a short spin of the knob. Gives the owner the impression there's lots of power left in the amp section.

Don't sweat the position of your knob.

And don't think dirty thoughts after reading the previous sentence!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tacdolan said:

Question.  If I'm not mistaken I can go in the setup and  change the db ( I BELIEVE that is the one) and the bookshelves are then turned on and static/white noise comes forth (louder than they are when playing music) from the tweeters and if i bring them (db) to negative, the white noise lowers and if I raise it, it will grow louder. I have them at 0.0 at the moment. is that alright?

and Also, I will look around and see how to change the Hz to 80.

Thank you all for your time helping me. Greatly appreciated.

The db/white noise is used for leveling the output between all of your speakers.  This helps with the overall sound field such that the audio being reproduced is arriving at the listening position at a similar intended volume level from each speaker position.  I'm not familiar with Onkyo AVR's, but would presume that the AccuEQ that you used would have set the channel gains for you.  Essentially, using the db setting just to increase overall volume is not what it's meant for, that's what the volume knob is for.

I agree with the others about speaker placement and sub crossover settings.  Run the same track over and over with different crossover points to see which one you like best.  50 definitely seems low for the combination that you have.  Pictures help a lot.  The members here are great at suggesting fixes without spending a ton of dough.

Folks,  The feedback from ya'll has been wonderful!  This is forums at its best! I'll take a picture of the set up tomorrow AM when my kids aren't around and I have peace and quiet.

Now that I am not worrying about the volume number or hurting my speakers,  i brought it up to 60 and the sound was pretty amazing.  This being my first visit into quality sound speakers...it feels like the sound isn't so much as LOUD as it is the perfect volume right near my ear. Like I can hear the tiniest tingle and feel the deep bass. but it isn't cringe worthy "jeez, turn it down a bit."

Stupid question and I apologize.  Are the woofers for the RP-160's supposed to have a  "muffled" sound to them?

again, thank you all. I'll set up pics tomorrow AM

David

Hi Folks,

All the darn pictures i took were over 2 mb. Grrrr. this is the only one that'll go through, but I hope it'll give you an idea. Excuse the mess. We just moved in :)

I think I want to try ya'lls advice earlier and move them far apart. Hopefully to the wall corner on tables similar to the white side table shown.

We listened to the Lord of The Rings last night and since I didn't worry about my knob it turned it to 62 and the sound was great.

Now I need to convince my wife to let me buy some surround speakers...

David 

IMG_0105.JPG

Muffled sound requires that you:

1) Put your ear next to each driver...the woofer, the tweeter, for each speaker and make sure they work.  If not, you may have an issue with the driver or crossover.

2) If they all are playing, then you may have blocked the port.  If the port it blocked, you need to unblock it. The picture is just far enough I can't tell how close the ports are to the wall.  Make sure they are at least 4 inches away.

3) Boundaries create "boom" or "muffled" sounds sometimes also, so having them close to that front wall has some benefits (increases bass) but also can have negatives, where they can sound weird or bad with too much at certain frequencies.  This is all solved again, by moving the speakers further from the front wall.

You are hearing the tweeters blasting but not the woofers....I will surprised if it is not #2.  If it were #3, they would be really loud but not sound good.  Since you can't hear them well and I assume the drivers (woofers) are working, then it's quite likely an issue with the ports being close to the wall.

of course make sure when running that autocal that it resets everything to default again.  i.e. it's possible somewhere you had turned down the bass with a bass control on the AVR, and if the autocal doesn't reset this, it may still be set low.

The good news is this problem can and will be solved... :)

2 hours ago, Tacdolan said:

I think I want to try ya'lls advice earlier and move them far apart. Hopefully to the wall corner on tables similar to the white side table shown.

I don't know if moving them that far is the best idea.  For movies, you still want them "connected" to you screen.  Too far to the right and left and sounds will draw your ears/eyes way off the screen.  A foot or two outside the screen/TV should be ideal.  Now if your were to replace with a 120" projector screen, then the corners would be just about perfect.  At first, I had my RF-63's dead in the corners toed in a few degrees toward my ears in the center seating position and with movies it was a bit awkward with the sounds way too far from the TV.

Bill

4 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

ONE MORE QUICK TEST......

Set the front speakers to LARGE and see how they play without the sub.  

This will tell us a lot about the speaker and the AVR settings.  

Thanks! I will try this. 

The speakers are about 5 inches from the wall, so there is good space. I'm wondering if I'm mistaken by my worry of the muffled woofer on the bookshelf. If ya'll move your ears from the tweeter to the woofers can you explain what you hear? I might just be such an ignorant noob I might not know this is how the speaker works.

thank ya'll again!

David.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Tacdolan said:

Now I need to convince my wife to let me buy some surround speakers...

Welcome....................i love your ceiling !

If you can convince her to do that, maby get a couple of bigger speakers for the front and use those for surrounds ?

Hey it don't hurt to try 

Thanks to all!  I think these working properly and they are great.

I'm addicted. I'm already planning my office system when i renovate the home.

But MAN!!! this is not a cheap addiction.

Thanks to all for your help

david