WTB: Klipsch Quartets

jayu969

I have two examples of Quartets, and only one is a confirmed sale price.  One pair Walnut Oiled, condition excellent, unmolested was sold Lombard, IL in May 2017 for $425.  The unconfirmed sale price was $500.

My opinion (not data based like the above ^^^) is that $350 to $450 would be fair to both buyer and seller.

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

My opinion (not data based like the above ^^^) is that $350 to $450 would be fair to both buyer and seller.

I agree.  Main reason is you can get Forte for $350 - $400 if you are patient.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I agree.  Main reason is you can get Forte for $350 - $400 if you are patient.

The Forte is one of those rare exceptions where the Forte I avg $534 has a higher resale value than the Forte II avg $450.

And as you said, patience is key to getting a good price.

I sold a pair of black quartets in great condition for $500 a few months ago.

IMO, I would pick the quartets over the Heresy.  The Quartet are spec'd at 38Hz and the Heresy 50Hz+.

Maybe a little less punch in the quartet bass, but the better lower end.  Mine came with the matching oak  SW-10ii subwoofer.

Quartets are closest to the Heresy cabinet footprint.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The Forte is one of those rare exceptions where the Forte I avg $534 has a higher resale value than the Forte II avg $450.

And as you said, patience is key to getting a good price.

I haven't found that Forte II are cheaper.  There are likely just less sale prices for Forte II in your list.

I see 2-3 times more Forte than Forte II for sale.

Patience and luck are always the key to good prices.  However, if you want something and a fair price is available, why not buy it and enjoy them now...

Thanks guys.  I actually made a deal with the seller.  $350 which also includes some other AV equipment which I should be able to sell off and recoup another $50-$100 on so should end up being a pretty good deal.  Working out a pick-up time either today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

I sold a pair of black quartets in great condition for $500 a few months ago.

Thanks for the info, I added that into my spreadsheet.  Your sale raised the avg to $463.  B)

17 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

I haven't found that Forte II are cheaper.  There are likely just less sale prices for Forte II in your list.

I see 2-3 times more Forte than Forte II for sale.

Your analysis of the price difference anomaly is probably correct.  I didn't know how to proper interpret it, so I just report the numbers and let folks use the numbers as a reference for research.

I completely agree with you, no matter what the "numbers" say, if there is a speaker a person wants, then it is worth whatever they are willing to pay for it.

Forte - 8 samples

Forte II - 8 samples

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, jayu969 said:

Thanks guys.  I actually made a deal with the seller.  $350 which also includes some other AV equipment which I should be able to sell off and recoup another $50-$100 on so should end up being a pretty good deal.  Working out a pick-up time either today or tomorrow.

I'd say that's definitely worth it then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Thanks for the info, I added that into my spreadsheet.  Your sale raised the avg to $463.  B)

Your analysis of the price difference anomaly is probably correct.  I didn't know how to proper interpret it, so I just report the numbers and let folks use the numbers as a reference for research.

I completely agree with you, no matter what the "numbers" say, if there is a speaker a person wants, then it is worth whatever they are willing to pay for it.

Forte - 8 samples

Forte II - 8 samples

I'm surprised that the 8 Forte II were sold for an average of $450.  

Prices probably need error bars for condition and location, but interesting.

I paid $420 for my rough walnut Forte II, but that was more than any 2 pair of Forte that I have bought.  

However, I don't consider the deals I have gotten as normal prices.

27 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

I'm surprised that the 8 Forte II were sold for an average of $450.  

Prices probably need error bars for condition and location, but interesting.

I paid $420 for my rough walnut Forte II, but that was more than any 2 pair of Forte that I have bought.  

However, I don't consider the deals I have gotten as normal prices.

All good points.  I have been thinking about tweaking the SS to display hi/low average, and of course everything you observed is correct.  Regional sales may not translate well to prices in other areas.

I do have enough samples to separate some popular models.  I split La Scala into Cond A/B, and C/D/F.  Most models I don't.

You are also right about "deals."  Every once in a while I will see some La Scala which will sell for $200 which wrecks the true average for that model!  What I usually do is note the price for reference, then put an X in front of the number so it will not be included in the average.

I make the spreadsheet available to anyone who wants it, and they can do their own analysis.  It's a good reference tool, but certainly not the last word in buying decisions.

3 hours ago, opusk2k9 said:

IMO, I would pick the quartets over the Heresy.  The Quartet are spec'd at 38Hz and the Heresy 50Hz+.

Maybe a little less punch in the quartet bass, but the better lower end.  Mine came with the matching oak  SW-10ii subwoofer.

Quartets are closest to the Heresy cabinet footprint.

This is exactly where my mind has been heading. I'm craving lower bass from my Heresy's and I don't have much more footprint available; Forte's would be slightly oversized. It's the rarer Quartets, or a kg sw subwoofer to fill out the bottom end. If I buy the Quartets I could probably sell the Heresy's with a zero sum cash outlay.

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Forte - 8 samples

Forte II - 8 samples

I bought my primo condition quartets with crites ti tweeters for $250 last month. That should bring down the average. :)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 1:07 AM, unclefred said:

I bought my primo condition quartets with crites ti tweeters for $250 last month. That should bring down the average. :)

31 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

I just sold my black Forte IIs for $450. Raleigh NC area. No upgrades and 22 year old single owner.  I bought my Dad's Chorus IIs for 600 mint and just received the crossovers and titanium diaphragms from Bob Crites.

I will add them to the spreadsheet.

What can you say?  The price is the price.

Edit:  Fyi @Biscuit you didn't hurt the price of the Forte II's.  The average was $450 before I added your sale.  B)

• Like 2