Help me upgrade *maniacally laughs*

supercooldude

25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Agree.  Build a strong L/C/R and you will be happy.  Then add a sub or two if you want, surrounds last IMO.  I have 5.2 in my living room but unless I am playing a BD movie I run 3.1 or 3.0.  I don't need a sub for TV watching.

I have a 15" DIY sub and it easily shakes the room even at moderate listening levels.

Yeah I think my surrounds are going to require some creativity as far as placement is concerned.

• Moderators

I have not heard those subs but I know I went from a 10" Velodyne to a 15" Velodyne and once I moved to a 15, I've never kept anything smaller.  There's just so much impact with a 15" driver for Home Theater.  I even borrowed a Velodyne DD12 and honestly, it didn't impress me near as much as my previous Velodyne HGS15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

I have not heard those subs but I know I went from a 10" Velodyne to a 15" Velodyne and once I moved to a 15, I've never kept anything smaller.  There's just so much impact with a 15" driver for Home Theater.  I even borrowed a Velodyne DD12 and honestly, it didn't impress me near as much as my previous Velodyne HGS15.

Mama mia, I just looked those up.  Thats a massive price jump.  What does "servo controlled" mean?

• Moderators

Without getting too technical ( which is a way of saying I have no idea about the technical aspect of it ),  The servo is a motor that controls the excursion of the woofer to help reduce distortion .  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

Without getting too technical ( which is a way of saying I have no idea about the technical aspect of it ),  The servo is a motor that controls the excursion of the woofer to help reduce distortion .

something like an anti-voice-coil slamming shock absorber??  LOL!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I bought the Velodyne HGS used for $350.   I liked it so much I bought a second one . Then down the road I have the opportunity of buying a Klipsch RSW –15 and discovered that one RSW-15 was the equivalent of two Velodyne HGS 15's so I sold the Velodyne subs and bought three more LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I bought the Velodyne HGS used for $350.   I liked it so much I bought a second one . Then down the road I have the opportunity of buying a Klipsch RSW –15 and discovered that one RSW-15 was the equivalent of two Velodyne HGS 15's so I sold the Velodyne subs and bought three more LOL

Heres where you recommend a matching sub for all these new speakers I am getting....DUH. :)

1 hour ago, supercooldude said:

Heres where you recommend a matching sub for all these new speakers I am getting....DUH. :)

What is your sub budget, and how much room do you have?

What I'm getting at is there is a DIY solution that features a pair of 18's with an Inuke 6000 w/dsp for about $1100.

Eighteen is the new fifteen.  B)

• Like 1

Just got done loading up the RF-83's. Very nice guy. Thanks for the referral Michael, although he stole them from me lol. I think he'll be in heaven when he gets home... well as long as he stays off of this forum. I feel the addiction starting! This place is rough on the wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, W27 said:

Just got done loading up the RF-83's. Very nice guy. Thanks for the referral Michael, although he stole them from me lol. I think he'll be in heaven when he gets home... well as long as he stays off of this forum. I feel the addiction starting! This place is rough on the wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Deep Breath* aaaaaand release....

Wow.  Just WOW.  Wow wow wow wow wow.  Is it weird to want to marry speakers?  Thats weird right?  Yeah ok...its weird.

We have been in heaven testing these bad boys out!  Thank you so so much W27 could not have been more patient and helpful.  

This was a very very fast turn around in upgrades AND depletion of funds....

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What is your sub budget, and how much room do you have?

What I'm getting at is there is a DIY solution that features a pair of 18's with an Inuke 6000 w/dsp for about $1100.

Eighteen is the new fifteen.  B)

Ok, I think I need to pull back on getting such a huge sub.  I am really eyeing the R-115SW...Yes? No?

Now, as far as the center is concerned I texted the guy with the RC-64 and replied saying he would double check he still has it but unfortunately hasn't responded since early this morning.  Ugg.

I set the configuration to not have a center at all, using W27s fantastic advice.  Sounded very good.