Help me upgrade *maniacally laughs*

supercooldude

Hey everyone!

I have been veeeerrrry slowly over the years been building my home theater from my very limited knowledge of high end equipment.  But finally after years and years of living in apartments my home theater is a reality.  Could it be bigger? Sure!  But we live in NYC so for us its like a palace! 

I kind of don't know where to start.  The mains?  The center?  A pre amp (thats a thing, right?)

I dont mind building piece by piece, because at the moment I have about $2,500 to play around with.  Not a lot when I look at the prices of stuff and my heart skips a beat BUT its a start and a long time coming.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated because when it comes to the differences between atmos and the other stuff I haven't a clue what to do (hey that rhymes) nor what to listen for.  I feel like sometimes stuff sounds AWESOME like Unbreakable and some stuff sounds flat like The Watchmen.   Is there a difference between playing an actual Blu Ray or an HD iTunes movie?

Also one of the reasons I use such small SL SR speakers is because of the limited space

Thanks so much for any help everyone, it will be greatly appreciated!!

My list:

Receiver - Yamaha RxV675 Natural Sound 7.1+2

***See attached photo for layout***

2x Klipsch Kg2.5 (or Kg2.2) (mains)

Klipsch KV2 (Center)

2x Bose 161 (Rear sides SL SR)

2x Polk RC85i (Rear SBL SBR)

2x Polk RC851 (PL and PR manual says: Produce CINEMA DSP effect sounds. In combination with CINEMA DSP 3D (p.48), the presence speakers create a natural 3-dimensional sound field in your room)

Sub Klipsch SW-112 Reference Series 12" Powered Subwoofer

Optoma HD141x 1080p 3D DLP Projector

Homegear 110” 16:9 Projector Screen

HDMI to the projector (it doesn’t always play 3D, this is why I am including it in here): Twisted Veins 50’ High Speed HDMI

Theater Space Approx 13’ Wide, 18’10” Deep, 7.5’ High

Basement Speaker Layout.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3768 (1).jpg

IMG_3769 (1).jpg

IMG_3770 (1).jpg

IMG_3771 (1).jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

• Moderators

My room is close to yours....13' x 19' with 10' ceiling.  You can view a room tour video in my signature.

You could give yourself an incredible upgrade for $2500 if you are ok with buying used (that's all I buy).

These RF-83 are close - https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/ele/d/klipsch-rf-speakers/6232687577.html

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Youthman said:

My room is close to yours....13' x 19' with 10' ceiling.  You can view a room tour video in my signature.

You could give yourself an incredible upgrade for $2500 if you are ok with buying used (that's all I buy).

These RF-83 are close - https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/ele/d/klipsch-rf-speakers/6232687577.html

Oh wow those look incredible, you think that will be a big difference from what I have now?  Wow, jeez thank you so much!

14 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I already emailed him lol!

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, supercooldude said:

you think that will be a big difference from what I have now?

Yes, in every way.  I owned them for several years.  They are awesome for home theater and have a TON of slam.

I only sold them after buying  a pair of LaScalas.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

10 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Yes, in every way.  I owned them for several years.  They are awesome for home theater and have a TON of slam.

I only sold them after buying  a pair of LaScalas.

Okay I am already making a move on those speakers!  He is "asking" $800, any suggestions with what I should start at? $650?  Or is that not cool?

• Moderators
Just now, supercooldude said:

He is "asking" $800, any suggestions with what I should start at? $650?  Or is that not cool?

There's nothing uncool about any offer.  Worst the seller can say is no thanks.  You state what you are willing to pay for them and see if he bites.  Since they were posted a day ago, he might not be as willing to sell them for much less but it never hurts to ask.  If they need the cash, might be a win/win for both of you.

Just now, Youthman said:

FYI, I have the KG 3.2 and even though they are much larger than your KG 2.5, they don't hold a candle to the RF-83's.  Absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

C'mon man.....don't get me all worked up this late at night!  

Now what about a center speaker.....

• Moderators

Ideally, the RS-62 or even the smaller RS-52 would be the best for your side surrounds.  I've owned both and the RS-52 have no problem keeping up with the RF-83's.  I just happened to stumble on this system for $2000 so I sold the RS-52.

Complete-Klipsch-RF-7-II-System-Sm.jpg

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

I just realized you have a retractable projection screen.  Do you have enough room with it down to have the RF-83 on the sides of it?

I will just put it as far to the right as it will go, it probably wont fit under those shelves anyways

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, supercooldude said:

Now I fear that not finding the matching center is going to drive me insane.... its on amazon for $1400...

It's out there.....the one on Amazon however is the newer Version II.  The original RC-64 can be had for much less.  Probably around $500 used.

7 minutes ago, supercooldude said:

My god your system is awesome..

Don't worry....yours is headed towards awesomeness as well.  You just have to be patient.

Keep us updated on the 83s. I've always wanted to hear a pair, how you get them. There are 2 schools of thought on most important pieces in home theater, but if you can combine them, you're perfect. 1-the most important speakers in the home theater are the center channel and the subwoofer(s). 2-the main speakers should timbre match your center channel. Stick around, we will help you spend your money. Good luck

• Like 2