JBL 2360 ?

tromprof

I have been doing a bit of reading and I am intrigued by the idea of trying a pair of JBL 2360 (A or B ) horns. The thought would be to pair them with EV DH1A drivers which I have on hand, and run them in a 3 way setup.  It seems like the 2360 has been around for a while so there are a number of them out there in the used market (there is also a pair hanging unused In my son's HS auditorium), but before I really start hunting up a pair I would love to hear some real world opinions on them. 

I believe Claude used some when he had his MWM bins. I have a pair of the 2365s, meant for a narrower horizontal coverage and longer throw. I was donating them to the school where I worked (to be used with MWMs), but they decided they were too big. When they let me go I took my horns with me.

I'm working on getting the MWMs from the school but that will be tricky.

I think they would work fine in a home environment, as everyone says they tend to quack at higher volumes with the narrow slot throat.

Bruce

11 hours ago, Marvel said:

I believe Claude used some when he had his MWM bins. I have a pair of the 2365s, meant for a narrower horizontal coverage and longer throw. I was donating them to the school where I worked (to be used with MWMs), but they decided they were too big. When they let me go I took my horns with me.

I'm working on getting the MWMs from the school but that will be tricky.

I think they would work fine in a home environment, as everyone says they tend to quack at higher volumes with the narrow slot throat.

Bruce

I would be trying them on top of my Quarter Pie bass bins. I think it was an old post of Claude's that compared them to the K402. The K402 would be what I would really like to get but finding a used pair doesn't seem to be happening.

I have used them before. I would rank them well below a Klipsch K-402.

If cost is a concern, then try a JBL 238x (?) (there are clones of these also). If you search around eBay you might find a ElectroVoice HP 640. These have a 2 inch throat and sound quite good. Prices on either of these are quite affordable

BTW, you need to be specific about whether this is a two-way or three-way system and whether your crossover is active or not.

14 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I have used them before. I would rank them well below a Klipsch K-402.

If cost is a concern, then try a JBL 238x (?) (there are clones of these also). If you search around eBay you might find a ElectroVoice HP 640. These have a 2 inch throat and sound quite good. Prices on either of these are quite affordable

BTW, you need to be specific about whether this is a two-way or three-way system and whether your crossover is active or not.

Doesn't sound like you cared for them very much.

What driver were you using? What frequincy range?

I have Protea crossovers so doing some EQ is not an issue.

The JBL 2360 sounds better the higher the crossover point is. The drivers I have used include the JBL 2445 and 2446. These are readily available on eBay if you want to try a used one. Again, you need to specify whether this is a two-way or three-way system and whether the crossover is passive or active. You may have mentioned this but I got lost.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:11 AM, tromprof said:

I would be trying them on top of my Quarter Pie bass bins. I think it was an old post of Claude's that compared them to the K402. The K402 would be what I would really like to get but finding a used pair doesn't seem to be happening.

Your patience may be rewarded.........................soon.

2 hours ago, ellisr63 said:

I had the 2360a horns with the EV DH1A drivers, and Q-pies, and loved them...as did everyone that heard them side too.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Yes, Mr. Ellis. As I recall I did some pretty good twisting of your arm to go that route at the time, eh?

8 hours ago, djk said:

The JBL 4" titanium drivers don't sound good below about 650hz, no matter what horn they are on.

Not a problem though with the old annular half-roll edge aluminum drivers (375, 2440).

I agree with this. When I had a pair of JBL drivers on the 2360's, I crossed them at 700 Hz. because I had a huge Peavey Midbass horn MB-1. After I sold the MB-1's, I put the DH-1a's on the JBL 2360's and they sounded much better, so I crossed them at 500 Hz.

Yup, and now I am going the Danley way...just with a K402 horn 2 way just like Chris did. I still will be trying to do a wood version though. I hope to be able to compare both versions too.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The 2360s have arrived. 

Many thanks to Tim at Rescue Audio in St. Louis for shipping them to me (freight on a pallet).

I have not had time to run REW and take measurements but I will and I will post the in the Quarter Pie thread

Soundstage is HUGE. More listening to come.

image1.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Absolutely awe-inspiring setup. I am looking to try the JBL 2360 with my 2447J's with active cross over in a 2-way with JBL 2226 for LF. How low cam you crossover the JBL 2360 without distortion? I plan on 500Hz but higher if needed. Also wondering if the highs will sound rolled off woth the 2360s loading the 2247Js. Currently using the JBL 2380s to load the 2447s and I dont feel the need for an additional tweeters. Will the the 2360s be an improvement in dynamics over the 2380s using 2447Js for say 500 - 700Hz+ duty?

I can't comment on what what I don't or haven't had. That said, with the EV DH1A driver the 2360 is good to at least 450 HZ. I have not needed or tried to go lower. I am also using them in a 3 way setup, so I have not gone higher than 7000 HZ. Within that sweet spot I am very happy. It may be possible to expand that with a good result. YMMV

On 7/28/2017 at 5:43 PM, djk said:

The JBL 4" titanium drivers don't sound good below about 650hz, no matter what horn they are on.

Not a problem though with the old annular half-roll edge aluminum drivers (375, 2440).

I measured mine to be best at 700 Hz. and above, but they were better with DH1a's.