Atmos options

chasec2021

Hey guys. I walked up on a killer deal on Facebook marketplace over the weekend, and got a denon avr-x2200w barely used for $200. I have been holding out for a new receiver with atmos, dtsx, and 4k pass through that was either 9.2 or 11.2, bit for this price I had to take it. It has everything I was looking for, 2 HDMI outs as I have a tv on the porch I was running a splitter to, with the one downside is it would only be 7.2.

So, I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on what makes a speaker atmos ready. Could I just guys some in ceiling speakers and set it up on the receiver to play atmos and I'm good to go? Or do I have to have a certain type of in ceiling to do the trick.

Essentially any ceiling speakers would work for atmos, it's just a matter of proper placement. Ideally get a 2 way ceiling speaker with a moveable tweeter so you can position it towards your seating position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

Essentially any ceiling speakers would work for atmos, it's just a matter of proper placement. Ideally get a 2 way ceiling speaker with a moveable tweeter so you can position it towards your seating position

Any certain ones you would recommend that would mesh well with my ref iis?

2 hours ago, dcbrown88 said:

I have the Ref IIs and I went with the CDT-5650-C II for the Atmos pair but they also have the 5800 as well.  Really most speakers would be fine as there's not a ton of audio coming from them but I prefer to match somewhat.

Ya I have looked at both. Looks like some deals can be made on eBay for them. That will probably be the next move and remove the rs 42 iis I have for my rears and move them to the sides of my bedroom setup

1 minute ago, dcbrown88 said:

Are you going to get different rears to replace the 42s?

I have some RB 51 iis that I am using for my surround/sides. I can use those as rears. Atmos doesn't recommend dipole speakers, and the rs 41 iis don't really mesh well anyway for my room as it is the ole tv in the corner set up you see so often in new houses. 

7 minutes ago, chasec2021 said:

I have some RB 51 iis that I am using for my surround/sides. I can use those as rears. Atmos doesn't recommend dipole speakers, and the rs 41 iis don't really mesh well anyway for my room as it is the ole tv in the corner set up you see so often in new houses. 

That makes sense, it should sound good!

• Like 1

Just now, dcbrown88 said:

That makes sense, it should sound good!

I hope so. I saw that klipsch came out with some cheaper atmos speakers that sit on top of fronts or rears. It will be a little while before the upgradeitis will be fed again. I have time to research. It would be easier to just do the ceiling speakers as running the wires would be a sinch

1 minute ago, chasec2021 said:

I hope so. I saw that klipsch came out with some cheaper atmos speakers that sit on top of fronts or rears. It will be a little while before the upgradeitis will be fed again. I have time to research. It would be easier to just do the ceiling speakers as running the wires would be a sinch

Doing the in ceiling speakers would be a much better option either way.  The add-on modules are good for those who can't install in ceilings but I'd say you're going the best route.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcbrown88 said:

Doing the in ceiling speakers would be a much better option either way.  The add-on modules are good for those who can't install in ceilings but I'd say you're going the best route.

Thanks for the help. I have heard from people 5.2.2 is more immersive than 7.1, so I figured why not try it out.