Khorn Tragedy

Youthman

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Welcome to Florida Humidity.

Looks like the Rodney Dangerfield of Khorns. :(

Youthman, the humidity is bad but that could have come a hurricane a few years ago in Fla ?

2 hours ago, richieb said:

So what's the issue with these? Well broken in for sure! All that rust and delaminated wood, where had these things lived all their lives - a beach cabana?

Yea, they still look better than Jubes....

• Like 3

Let's think outside the box here.

I believe the problem is you all are expecting restoration beauty.

While I agree the labor and parts would be prohibitive, I'd say if you did a "patch job" you'd have a great set of speakers that would be physically sound yet have an ahem, "patina" of age.

Don't invest the money and effort to try and bring them back to new, but some wood filler, hardener, and maybe an oil finish or spray paint job and your friends would be jealous.

Remember; Ray Charles wouldn't care what they looked like!

FYI, I just bought a kg sw subwoofer and knew it was coming without feet. I also knew that concrete bleeds moisture, and that wreaks havoc on wood. So I was smart enough to buy floor spikes only to get the subwoofer off my concrete basement floor.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Peter P. said:

While I agree the labor and parts would be prohibitive, I'd say if you did a "patch job" you'd have a great set of speakers that would be physically sound yet have an ahem, "patina" of age.

Don't invest the money and effort to try and bring them back to new, but some wood filler, hardener, and maybe an oil finish or spray paint job and your friends would be jealous.

I can handle water damage.  In October of 2012, I purchased these KLF-30's with a KLF-C7 for $200.00.  The C7 had significant water damage to where the corners were separating.  The KLF-30's too had very moderate swelling from water damage but not quite as bad as the C7.  I bought them because they were clean.  I had a chance to play with them, compare them to my B&W DM 604 S2 and RF-83 speakers.  They sounded fantastic but because they looked very rough, I ended up selling them.

klipsch-klf-30-tall.jpg

klipsch-klf-30-wide.jpg

The Khorns on the other hand have RAT FECES in them.  I have absolutely NO desire to do anything with them.  No telling how many might be living inside the speaker.  No thank you sir. 

That's an insane amount of restore. The only way I'd do anything is if they were "Grandpa's" grew up listening to them and was told to come get them. Even then I'd hesitate. But being a realistic guy and not overly attached to sentimental things even then I'd probably pass. 

Sad.

• Like 1

Tragic, really.  Like going to look at a '32 Ford for a resto project and realizing that the body is too far gone to bring it back to life.  Sometimes, when they're done, they're done.  RIP KHorns.  Such a shame.  Sometimes, people just don't know what they have in front of them.  If we could only educate them all.....

WOW. The way the urine completely destroyed the crossovers is disturbing. Both speakers became hazardous material areas because someone either didn't know their worth or didn't care. I wouldn't care to bring them inside - ever. I'd vote to scrap them both, maybe worth a hundred bucks for the K400s - if someone else pulled them and washed them. I had mice in my project truck in the garage, every time I worked on it I had to stop due to coughing and wheezing from the waste. Rodent waste is nothing to mess around with.

• 2 weeks later...

It is sickening really. For me and maybe some others, we will never ever get the chance to own Klipschorns as much as we would love to. To destroy them like that is beyond words. Total disrespect for the product and everyone who would enjoy them. 

• 4 weeks later...

pass and keep looking, run one of those ads in the local paper  " will buy old stereo's and speakers" and see what comes your way.

Even I have speakers I don't love and they  are just taking up room, I have even given speakers away because I found someone who really wanted a system and had no free money .

You just might just get that special call.