Khorn Tragedy

Youthman

• Moderators

Two days ago, I see this listing on Offer Up.

khorn-ad.jpg

I immediately recognized these are Khorns so I contact the seller.  I made arrangements to come check them out last night. 

Upon arrival, they were in a garage, had significant damage to the cabinets and quite a bit of rust on the components.  I brought my Harman Kardon HK3490 receiver.  The speaker sounded fantastic.  Absolutely crystal clear and TONS of output.  The bass was of course not to exciting out in the open and not in a corner.

Here are some photos of the first Khorn.

khorn-01.jpg

khorn-2.JPG

khorn-3.JPG

khorn-4.JPG

khorn-5.JPG

khorn-6.JPGT

khorn-7.JPG

As you can see, the moisture from the Garage has taken a toll on the wood as well as the components.

The seller said she wanted $500 for the "speaker".  I asked if the sale was for one or for two speakers and she said it was for one but she has another one that she would be willing to sell for $800 for the pair.  The other speaker was in grandma's garage so I would have to wait until today to check it out.  The family was very friendly so I made arrangements to see the other speaker today.

Last night I called @opusk2k9 to get his opinion and after seeing the photos, he said he would pass on them.  I told him, what if I can get them for $400....he still said he might pass as they would require a LOT of work to restore them.  I'm thinking if I could get them for $400, I probably will buy them just to play with them for awhile.

the serial number indicates they are from 1980 and Opus says they are Walnut finish

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Last night I called @opusk2k9 to get his opinion and after seeing the photos

I think tragedy is the right word !

Just an FYI if Youthman or opusk2k9 are interested in something your selling.... you're not asking enough :lol:  2 of the greatest speaker/deal hounds ever . I have had to compete with Brandon for years and I have yet to beat him to an advertised deal :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I had NO desire to even power this one up in fear that rats might come RUNNING out of the bass bin.

I told the seller I would pass due to the condition they are in.

But the extra critters were free...  :P

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Gnote said:

Just an FYI if Youthman or opusk2k9 are interested in something your selling.... you're not asking enough :lol:  2 of the greatest speaker/deal hounds ever

That's funny bro.  :lol:

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

All that rust and delaminated wood, where had these things lived all their lives - a beach cabana?

Welcome to Florida Humidity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gnote said:

Just an FYI if Youthman or opusk2k9 are interested in something your selling.... you're not asking enough :lol:

I don't care who you are, that there's funny.  :lol:

+++

I love restoration projects and I admire those of you who bring older Klipsch back to life, but those speakers could not have been in worse shape if they had been in a fire, then dropped from a plane into the Atlantic.

Agree with the Klipsch Collective, for $800 a pair, PASS.

For $200, PASS.

Free, PASS.

Pay me to take them; PASS.

• Like 3