Will there be a Cornwall IV?

Hasty

I think in light of the Forte III being reissued with substantial upgrades I wonder if there will be revisions to the Cornwall series with the modern Mid & Tweeter horns and drivers etc.?   I can't help but assume that the new Forte has a substantially better "top end" than a Cornwall III at this juncture.  I know that there is some obligation not to tamper with the original PWK designs, so I am not completely aware of what company policy is regarding changes to the Heritage line.

the obvious upgrade for a CW would be to turn it into a two way using a large format K510 and driver. This should have already been done years ago. Two way is the answer for near field listening but it is expensive to implement. For a better two way CW look to Bob Crites and his Cornscala "D" superb quality drivers and horn well above any Klipsch offerings.

1 minute ago, richieb said:

Moray talked about turning the CW into a 2 way with large format 510 horn/driver. Cabinet volume and frequency response were

not mentioned. However the Crites models do replicate CW cabinet volume.

That's why I did mention them.

Cornwall IV or Chorus III, either/or, TWO 15" woofers and a K510 in the same (beautiful wood veneered) cabinet would set the record straight! Maybe a two piece grille, one covering the woofers and one for that big beautiful horn! Bi-wireable of course.

Picture a taller skinnier LaScala II.

The high frequencies would be at the right level too!

I have yet to hear a single woofer speaker deliver the punch that only TWO woofers can deliver. 

These would be CerwinVega killers. I can't see anything holding a candle to them - literally - that flame would be blown out!

And the clarity and definition would make a musicians jaw drop!

I had CLSC 215's prior to my first pair of Cornwall's, and soon after CW2's. I sold the Vega's with no regrets.

I could accept a little less bass from my Cornwall 2's, but I could not listen to the CV's after hearing the definition the Klipsch's give effortlessly.

Nothing against all the other recent additions to the Klipsch line-up, but once agian, "there is no replacement for displacement!"

• Like 2

I would really like to see an updated CF-4. I would buy a pair of those long before a Chorus 3, Cornwall 4.  Even better a CF-5 with duel 15's and k-691 would be incredible and sell like hotcakes.

I have 2 pairs of Crites Cornscala's and they are nice, I don't think a Cornwall 4 or Chorus 3 could beat them but an updated  CF-4 or duel 15's probably could.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Moray talked about turning the CW into a 2 way with large format 510 horn/driver. Cabinet volume and frequency response were

not mentioned. However the Crites models do replicate CW cabinet volume.

the twin horns of the CW would be replaces with a single K510 cabinet and woofer would remain. I you want the same bass as a cw and you want dual woofers then the cabinet gets twice as large and I think the CW is big enough. If yo wanted a smaller cabinet you  have to change the driver then you get a
Chorus not a CW. Even a dual sized Chorus cabinte would not be considered domestically acceptable by many.

Bobs Cornscala uses a fifteen inch woofer with the same mechanical values (sounds the same) as a K33 CW woofer.

6 minutes ago, Md5150 said:

I would really like to see an updated CF-4. I would buy a pair of those long before a Chorus 3, Cornwall 4.  Even better a CF-5 with duel 15's and k-691 would be incredible and sell like hotcakes.

I have 2 pairs of Crites Cornscala's and they are nice, I don't think a Cornwall 4 or Chorus 3 could beat them but an updated  CF-4 or duel 15's probably could.

Interesting thought. I am not familiar with CF line.

I am looking forward to see what is next.

George

• Like 1

Ok, so this topic got my heart beating!

As fate would have it I picked up Supertramp's "Breakfast In America" on CD in my travels today at one of the thrift stores on the way home. A great CD for a demo!

I run a two channel setup (NAD C372 @ 120 watts a side) in my 12 x 20 living room, no subs, and the current placeholders are my modded Cornwall 2's (K604 tractrix mids with new phenolic diaphragms, K-107-ti tweeters, Bob Crites CW2 crossovers and bandpass filters). They were my last mod and have been making me smile for several weeks now.

I have Forte II's, Cornwall 1's (with the K604 tractrix instead of the exponential K601), Cornwall 2's (once again with the K604's AND K-107-ti), Epic CF-3's, and 2-way Cornscala's (formerly CW1's) with the, you have to hear it to believe it, K510 using Bob's Faital Pro HF200 and his CS500 crossovers. Everything plays through the same moddest DBX 1231 "house curve."

Tonight I rotated each pair of speakers through in the above order.

Having not listened to any tunes since the weekend, the Forte II's started the evening more than adequately. If I had never heard any of the other speakers, I would be quite happy with them in my living room. The Forte II's image very well. Bass is deep and detailed. 

The modded Cornwall 2's bring enough to the table to handily trump the Forte II's. Toed in, they image well. The 15" K-33's make all the difference to me. They just plain sound bigger.

The CF-3's sound is tighter than the Cornwall 2's, not noticeably lower, and image better in the sweet spot. I still can't decide which I prefer here compared to the modded CW2's. CF-3's are not small speakers!

The 2-way Cornscala's were last and I haven't heard them for months.

They are no contest winners.

The bass is lower and easily as detailed as any of the others. Noticeably more presence in the low end.

The K510's reach out and pull your ears into them. I forgot how much of a game changer that horn is.

Toed in large in my small living room, the soundstage fills the small wall.

The attack and decay of instruments and vocals adds depth lacking in the smaller throated horns.

I still think two 15's and a K510 would fit in a cabinet not much bigger than a CF-4!

Call it a KLF 50! 

Keeping cabinet volume in check to get good low end, they should just produce a slightly bigger KLF-30 cabinet with the KLF-30 / Jube 12" woofers.  Pair that with either a single 2 way horn crossed around 700hz or the new Forte III horns.  That would straddle the line of large and powerful for home use.

Ive built many a 2way cornscala... The sound is perhaps my favorite. 

My version is the Cornwal 1 style cab with an eliptrac 400 and a B&C DE750.... killer combo.

Klipsch turning a cornwall into a 2way using the 510 or even a 3way with the 510 for mids.... the CWIII mid horn is the limiting factor.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2017 at 7:29 PM, geoff. said:

Has anyone heard and compared "The Fifteens" to a 2-way "Cornscala"?

This would not be a fair comparison IMO. The Fifteens will have a built in amp and dac if their press release from CES is accurate. I am not ready for a wireless speaker in my 2 channel system.

4 hours ago, busterfree said:

This would not be a fair comparison IMO. The Fifteens will have a built in amp and dac if their press release from CES is accurate. I am not ready for a wireless speaker in my 2 channel system.

It's not just a wireless speaker, although it can also be that. It is powered with dac, phono pre etc. and can also be used in a wireless mode. Great flexibility. What's not fair? You may not be ready, but that's where people are going.

"The Fifteens" are a polarizing topic for sure.   It may be difficult to sell a large high-dollar "do everything" speaker.  It lands in the "Cool, but who is going to buy this" category.  Maybe it will be a sales success though,  I can't think of any other company offering a similar product.