Klipsch Cornwall oak Speakers, Original Boxes - $875 (Glen Ellyn, IL)

opusk2k9

52 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well you don't see that very often, Raw, no stain.  Lovely.

Well, it would have been better if they had been oiled...raw oak veneer gets pretty dry over the years (and it has been quite some time since they were built!), if nothing has been done to protect it.  HOPEFULLY, the original owner DID DO something to protect that veneer...either oiled it themselves, or put another kind of finish on it.  From the reflective glare on the wood in SOME of the pics, it appears that there is some kind of finish on the Cornwalls, but that is not so uncommon.  Back when I worked at Klipsch, a number of pairs of speakers were shipped raw by special order simply because the owners desired to match what they bought with the finish of the rest of the furniture in the room they intended the speakers to be in....additionally, many desired to apply the finish themselves, particularly if what they wanted was a urethane finish of some kind (Klipsch did not offer urethane finishes in those days!).

Look very nice considering the lack of more detailed pics.

3 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Well, it would have been better if they had been oiled...raw oak veneer gets pretty dry over the years (and it has been quite some time since they were built!), if nothing has been done to protect it.  HOPEFULLY, the original owner DID DO something to protect that veneer...either oiled it themselves, or put another kind of finish on it.

Look very nice considering the lack of more detailed pics.

My reading of the labels is that they were oiled, but not stained as a special request.  Am I missing something?  

9 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

My reading of the labels is that they were oiled, but not stained as a special request.  Am I missing something?

Labels show COO, which means oiled oak, BUT the shipping boxes show no finish/raw...probably a special order as in my last posting above (edited) on them.

I always thought that the "honey pine" urethane finished looked great on oak...but I ALSO prefer to use a semi-gloss version of that particular stain-added urethane. With  the semi-gloss urethane, you get the best of both worlds:  A sealed finish, along with the appearance you desire, but the semi-gloss leaves the oak LOOKING natural, and if the coats are brushed on in THIN coats, with light sanding between the coats, you can still "feel" the grain of the wood when you slide your hands over it...make sense?  Too much urethane makes the wood appear like you are looking at it through shallow water, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Either way, they look very well taken care of.  I'd say this is a pretty darn good price.

I agree...If they look as good in person as in the pics, and if they have no functional issues, that is a great price!  Somebody with oak furniture in the room or even pine would do well to grab them for good WAF points!

16 hours ago, Dudeisms said:

I went over there this morning and scooped these lovelies 

Welcome to the forum.  Buying a pristine pair of Corwalls is a good way to start here on the Klipsch Forum.

Please feel free to start a thread and let us know how you like them, how you power them, etc.  Pictures are always welcome.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Welcome to the forum.  Buying a pristine pair of Corwalls is a good way to start here on the Klipsch Forum.

Please feel free to start a thread and let us know how you like them, how you power them, etc.  Pictures are always welcome.

Be careful what you ask for, lol, maybe I'll just start a thread and share my Klipsch-tory and bore some of you to tears, and hopefully entertain others and give a long term evolving review of these Cornwalls.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dudeisms said:

Be careful what you ask for, lol, maybe I'll just start a thread and share my Klipsch-tory and bore some of you to tears, and hopefully entertain others and give a long term evolving review of these Cornwalls.

Going to stick it in 2 Channel Home Audio under "My Klipsch-tory and New to me pristine Cornwalls"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dudeisms said:

Also, why am I not able to edit my profile?  More specifically adding an avatar pic?  Or is it just a make x amount of posts or contribute x amount and then you can kinda thing?

I'm not positive but I think you can after 10 posts. 

Nice Cornwalls, congratulations!

Welcome and congratulations.  Please post pics of your Cornwalls.  I never saw them before the listing was deleted.

1 hour ago, Dudeisms said:

Try boring us with your story, please.

• Like 2