Klipsch Speakers & New Marantz SR 7012

Lord_Beelzebub

4 hours ago, willland said:

Myself and many on this forum have bought refurbished gear from A4Less with excellent results.  A great way to save $$$.

Ditto.  I just picked up my Denon 6300 from these guys.  It looks and operates as if it were brand spankin new.  

• Moderators

I have purchased two iMac computers for our church that were refurbished. You cannot tell that they were ever even touched.  They even put it back in the original packaging so it literally looks like you're opening a brand new in the box unit

Sorry for the double post.

Just got off the phone with a local small pop dealer here in my town.  A place I didn't even think sold audio equipment like receivers.  Turns out they are an authorized Marantz dealer, found them directly off Marantz's website "find a dealer" link.  I had to ask this guy multiple times if the price he quoted me was correct and was it brand new or a refurb.  I couldn't believe what he told me.  Brand new SR 7011 for $1,499.  Needless to say, I'll be stopping in.  Ask one more time in person if he's referring to brand new.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 27-7-2017 at 4:29 PM, Lord_Beelzebub said:

I was about to pull the trigger this Saturday by going out and buying the Marantz SR 7011 AVR when I saw Marantz is releasing a new receiver in a month or two, the SR 7012.  From what I read it will be a 200W per channel into 8ohm, upgraded from 24 to 32bit DAC’s, have the new video format of Hybrid Log Gamma and maybe a few other things.

My question is, with this being a 200W per channel receiver, what would be my concern if my surround sound setup consisted of the following speakers?

RP-280F @ 150W RMS as L/R speakers
RP-450C @ 150W RMS as Center channel
RP-160M @ 100W RMS as L/R surround speakers
RP-140SA @ 50W RMS for Atmos/height speakers

My first thought is, the new Marantz receiver has a much higher watt output than these speakers RMS limits, especially the 140SA’s.  I don’t plan on turning the volume up to max ever, but a moderate level for movies and music.  What’s a general rule of thumb and other things I should know about?

Also, do you all think the new SR 7012 is worth the wait, no big deal over the current SR 7011, is a jump from 24 to 32bit DAC really worth it, etc??

Any insights anyone can give me would be appreciated.  Again, I was about to purchase the SR 7011 this weekend when I saw I’m only a month or two away from a newer receiver.

Thanks.

I have the same speakers, except for your surrounds I chose The RP-280’s also all connected through a 7011 and a R-115SW subwoofer.

these speakers are 98db efficient, so a power amp is wasting your money. These speakers don’t need a lot of power to play. You’re better off investing that money in a subwoofer or two.

• 3 months later...

I decided on the 7011 which is on its way!  I to have the R-115SW and definitely recommend it for your current setup.  I bought mine with a package deal including RP-280F’s.   The 7011 I purchased is coming as a package deal as well with another pair of 280F’s, 450C, 250S’s, and a 2nd R-115SW.  

I’d be interested to hear back on if you followed through with the 7011 purchase and your thoughts.  I’m currently looking at the XPA3-Gen3 from Emotiva to power front 3, will hold off till I’m setup and play with it for a couple weeks.  Klipsch tech did recommend “at least” 150 Watts for the towers and center. 

Edited by Ickaris

• 5 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 10:07 PM, teaman said:

Hey Boilermaker, the large circles are the balanced inputs on the rear of the amp. Your choice really you can use either or. You are correct you simply use the pre outs on your receiver and any of the outs that are running to amps will take the strain off of your receiver. Your receiver will still power the remainder of your speakers. The addition of the separate amp gives you more drive, headroom and overall better power for your front and center speakers. Then you can hook up the other two channels to the height or surround speakers. Really you can go with a 3, 5 or 7 channel amp. Your receiver will usually dictate that part of the equation.

Tim

I just discovered today that this isn't possible on the 7012. For running 11 speakers, it only allows to use the pre-outs for 2 speakers on the main zone. Frustrating as I bought a 5 channel amp thinking I could power my fronts/center/surrounds with the amp, then the rest off of the AVR. I could have saved a few hundred just getting a 2 channel amp...booooo.

Btw, I dunno what happened to my previous login, I guess it got deleted at some point...

• Sad 1