Klipsch Speakers & New Marantz SR 7012

Lord_Beelzebub

I was about to pull the trigger this Saturday by going out and buying the Marantz SR 7011 AVR when I saw Marantz is releasing a new receiver in a month or two, the SR 7012.  From what I read it will be a 200W per channel into 8ohm, upgraded from 24 to 32bit DAC’s, have the new video format of Hybrid Log Gamma and maybe a few other things.

My question is, with this being a 200W per channel receiver, what would be my concern if my surround sound setup consisted of the following speakers?

RP-280F @ 150W RMS as L/R speakers
RP-450C @ 150W RMS as Center channel
RP-160M @ 100W RMS as L/R surround speakers
RP-140SA @ 50W RMS for Atmos/height speakers

My first thought is, the new Marantz receiver has a much higher watt output than these speakers RMS limits, especially the 140SA’s.  I don’t plan on turning the volume up to max ever, but a moderate level for movies and music.  What’s a general rule of thumb and other things I should know about?

Also, do you all think the new SR 7012 is worth the wait, no big deal over the current SR 7011, is a jump from 24 to 32bit DAC really worth it, etc??

Any insights anyone can give me would be appreciated.  Again, I was about to purchase the SR 7011 this weekend when I saw I’m only a month or two away from a newer receiver.

Thanks.

• Moderators

No worries about that Marantz having too much power. That amp will be perfectly fine with the RP-280F.  You would rather have too much power than not enough.  An amp that is too low will clip when driven hard which introduces lots of distortion which is what often damages speakers the most.

As far as 200wpc, I'm not seeing that same spec.  Take a look at this article by Sound and Vision.  They are showing 125 watts with only 2 channels driven.  Once you add all 9 channels, you are likely looking at 50wpc.

Power Output: 9 x 125 watts (8 ohms, 2 channels driven)
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7011-av-receiver-review-specs#Qdxcqmo00AmYztvB.99

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you go to http://www.us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR7011

and click on "Specifications", it says 235 watts with 1 channel driven and a whopping 10% distortion and notice that's at 6 ohms instead of 8.  It's frustrating when manufacturers try and play with the numbers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

Any insights anyone can give me would be appreciated.  Again, I was about to purchase the SR 7011 this weekend when I saw I’m only a month or two away from a newer receiver.

I haven't followed the 7011 prices, but I assume it dropped substantially the way the Marantz SR 6011 dropped everywhere last week from $1400 to $1000.

EDIT:  I just checked Amazon, the 7011 is still $2200.  I don't think it has dropped in price.

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7011-technology-featuring-Bluetooth/dp/B01LPP7ZT2

It's the age old question, would you rather take the heavily discounted price of last year's model, or pay for "future proofing" by purchasing the latest and greatest?

I've gotten burned in years past for paying a premium for "future proofing."   Remember the $800 Zenith STEREO VHS format when regular MONO VHS players were $200?  No one else does either.  :(

Unless it's a quantum leap forward, for me personally, I'd take the money and run.

+++

Agree with @Youthman ^^^, the way manufacturers list power ratings is misleading.  It takes a critical eye combined with knowledge and experience to fully understand how much power the AVR is producing in a real world environment, not just the "one channel driven" spec.

• Like 1

Yes, that's my situation, do I upgrade now on last years model, wait a couple more months for this years model, and if so, is this years model worth waiting for, or wait for this years model to come out so last years model will drop in price and get that.

So that's what brings me here is go get everyone's perspective.  The other concern I had was the "200 watts".  That was some info I saw on another website, it didn't specify if it was 2 channels driven or just 1 channel driven.  I think Marantz is supposed to release the specs for the SR 7012 some time in August, so maybe I'll wait a few more weeks.

Two other things that would help me make a choice, what would be the significance going from 24 to 32 bit DAC technology.  I'm not a expert by any means in this area.  Would be something to make me want to wait for the new receiver to come out?  A significant upgrade?

The other is the HLG (hyper log gamma), could Marantz include this into the current 7011 model via a firmware update or is it hardware specific that only the new SR 7012 could be capable of, and is this technology considered a "must have" in the future.  I've kind of read up about it and it has to do with TV broadcasting.

What originally brought me here to ask this/these questions on Klipsch forum board is, if it's true the new SR 7012 is 200 watts - 2 ch driver into 8ohms, along with all the other speakers in the surround sound setup, would that be too much watts, but someone else already answered that it wouldn't be  If the new SR 7012 receiver is only 125 watts - 2 channel driven like the 7011 is, and 32 bit DAC technology really isn't going to give me any significant improvement in sound over a 24 bit DAC, and HLG technology isn't going to become some mandatory thing (obviously we don't know yet) then I'd probably just go ahead and get the current Marantz 7011.

Hopefully all that made since.  So based on that, what opinions and suggestions do you guys have?  I'm sure you guys are better experts at this than I so I'm hoping to gain knowledge and advise.

Thanks.

EDIT:  Ok, so researching further, it looks like the current SR 7011 will be get the HLG upgrade via firmware later this year.

So I guess the only question I have is, is waiting for a 32 bit DAC capability worth it?  Would I even be able to hear the difference in sound quality?

I can't answer your DAC question, but with the 40% price drop the 6011 just had a week ago, I think it would be worth your while (and money) to wait a few weeks and see if the 7011 undergoes a similar 40% drop.

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I haven't followed the 7011 prices, but I assume it dropped substantially the way the Marantz SR 6011 dropped everywhere last week from $1400 to $1000.

EDIT:  I just checked Amazon, the 7011 is still $2200.  I don't think it has dropped in price.

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7011-technology-featuring-Bluetooth/dp/B01LPP7ZT2

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7011/marantz-sr7011-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willland said:

Just FYI, that's for a referb, not the price for new.  The price most likely won't drop till the new model comes out, which looks like September or October.

i don't think I have a solid reason to wait for the new SR 7012.  32 bit DAC and Auro 3D comes standard, that seems to be the only significant upgrades from the 7011.  I saw on Marantz's forums that several older model AVR's will get the HLG update via firmware.  I don't think the new model will be 200 watts, 2 channels driven.  That would be the only thing beneficial to best power my 280F's.

So I can either go ahead and buy now or wait 2-3 months to see if the current model comes down in price when the new one comes out.

1 hour ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

Just FYI, that's for a referb, not the price for new.  The price most likely won't drop till the new model comes out, which looks like September or October.

i don't think I have a solid reason to wait for the new SR 7012.

Many of us here have purchased from A4L including me with good results. The AVR's look new and usually work perfect.   I bought a refurb Denon 5.1 AVR a few years ago for my son and it has proven to be 100% reliable.

Marantz makes their case (or maybe A4L) that the 7011 is a factory refurb, and because it has been "gone through" and tested, in some ways it is "better than new."  I don't know if that's true, but the fact is the refurb comes with a one-year factory warranty and then the free additional 2 years bring it up to the full 3-year warranty as if it were a new one.

I usually like to buy new and get the warranty because you don't know what you're getting on CL or Ebay.  I did buy my 6011 from a trusted forum member and that's what gave me confidence to buy used.

+++

As far as you waiting for the 7012 I think that is a good idea as I feel the price on the current flagship 7011 is going to come down very shortly.  If you can hold off for even a few weeks you will have a choice of the new iron at full price, or the older model which was top rated to come down several hundred bucks.

That's a win-win for you, with no down side, as long as you don't need it this instant.

Frankly, assuming your budget is $2200 which is the cost of the 7011 you might consider going for the 6011 for a thousand then spend another thousand and get a 2-7 channel power amp from Emotiva.  Best of ALL worlds.

XPA Gen3 Power Per Channel: All Channels Driven; THD <0.1% ; into 8 ohms

Two:                

300 watts RMS per channel

Three:             

275 watts RMS per channel

Four:                

260 watts RMS per channel

Five:                

250 watts RMS per channel

Six:                  

225 watts RMS per channel

Seven:           

200 watts RMS per channel

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-gen3

Where's @teaman, he's my electronics consultant.  B)

• Like 1

Hello Dave....you rang....

That new Emotiva Gen 3 amp is a nice choice although I have no personal experience with their new switching rail power supply. I own both Gen 1 and Gen 2 XPA-2 and XPA-5 amps from Emotiva and they sound great with my Klipsch speakers.

If you want to save some money here is another option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emotiva-Audio-Xpa-5-Gen-1-Power-Amplifier-/232425441448?hash=item361da2c8a8:g:QVMAAOSwA35ZeQ4q

Hey Lord_Beezlebub, welcome to the forum. Nice choice for speakers. Get yourself a nice receiver and amp and you will be all set!

Emotiva's Ebay store has the Gen 1 XPA-5 with 200 wpc across all channels at 8 ohms for $600 or best offer...which they almost always take lowball offers. They offer it with a one year warranty which is plenty on factory refreshed trade in gear. 

You could still grab a nice receiver to act as your Pre/Pro for about a grand. The receiver power is ample for the surround channels, Atmos, etc. 

Feel free to let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.

Tim

• Like 1

I'm new to adding amplifiers....what are those big round circles and how do you connect it to a receiver? Do you just use rca cables from the pre-outs on the receiver? 

Also, if you are running a 7.1 set up...do you need a 7.1 amp or can you use a 5.1 amp? 

Thnaks. 

• Like 1

Hey Boilermaker, the large circles are the balanced inputs on the rear of the amp. Your choice really you can use either or. You are correct you simply use the pre outs on your receiver and any of the outs that are running to amps will take the strain off of your receiver. Your receiver will still power the remainder of your speakers. The addition of the separate amp gives you more drive, headroom and overall better power for your front and center speakers. Then you can hook up the other two channels to the height or surround speakers. Really you can go with a 3, 5 or 7 channel amp. Your receiver will usually dictate that part of the equation.

Tim

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lord_Beelzebub said:

Just FYI, that's for a referb, not the price for new.

Yes I am very aware of that.:unsure::P

Myself and many on this forum have bought refurbished gear from A4Less with excellent results.  A great way to save $$$.

Bill