Newest member of the Klipsch family!

AviatorBimmer

Hey peeps, I have finally upgraded my HT and went with all Klipsch speakers, except for the subs.

Here is what I have so far:

TV: LG 65C7P OLED 4K

UHD Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203

AVR: Denon AVR-X4300H

Mains: 2 x Klipsch RP-280F

Center: 1 x Klipsch RP-450C

Side surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-150M

Back surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-150M

Atmos: 2 x Klipsch RP-140SA

Subwoofers: 2 x HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

I am still in the process of calibrating everthing and I can't wait to pop in a nice action-packed movie and see how it all sounds.

Any feedback, tips, tricks, suggestions or criticism are highly accepted!

IMG_2674.thumb.JPG.1ffddfd2c84f3c1999da5eb489533163.JPG

• Like 1

I think you've done a bang-up job getting this setup.  Looks ready to go for calibration!

Very nice symmetry and proper layout throughout from what I can see, spot on.

In all my measurements in my rooms, I have never found two subs up front to be the "best" positioning, but each room is different.

I would not be surprised if you could take either sub - left or right, and put it in the back of the room symmetrically (i.e. either centered, or off-center to match) and likely find that you like it better.  That's a big room, and while the subs will definitely come from the front which is good, Audyssey is going to calibrate them such that placement anywhere in the room is going to work just fine.    I realize that the symmetry is important and if that's where they stay it will be awesome.   But I'm a basshead-perfectionist and with the system you have, I'm thinking you're a bit like me and want those subs "perfect" 

If placement in the back would be difficult for a sub, right behind the couch may actually work well too, but since I can't see the back of the room I can't be sure what would look best.  I think your AVR has 2 sub inputs so location for the 2 can be handled well by Audyssey vs you having to figure it out.

So what I'm saying is...if you a curious about what I say (or anybody else who gives 2 cents), it should be as easy as running the calibration in each place, listening for a day or two and deciding which you like better.  That's a real plus with a 2 sub input as you don't have to manually figure that out.  

What is the first movie/album after calibration?

21 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I think you've done a bang-up job getting this setup.  Looks ready to go for calibration!

Very nice symmetry and proper layout throughout from what I can see, spot on.

In all my measurements in my rooms, I have never found two subs up front to be the "best" positioning, but each room is different.

I would not be surprised if you could take either sub - left or right, and put it in the back of the room symmetrically (i.e. either centered, or off-center to match) and likely find that you like it better.  That's a big room, and while the subs will definitely come from the front which is good, Audyssey is going to calibrate them such that placement anywhere in the room is going to work just fine.    I realize that the symmetry is important and if that's where they stay it will be awesome.   But I'm a basshead-perfectionist and with the system you have, I'm thinking you're a bit like me and want those subs "perfect" 

If placement in the back would be difficult for a sub, right behind the couch may actually work well too, but since I can't see the back of the room I can't be sure what would look best.  I think your AVR has 2 sub inputs so location for the 2 can be handled well by Audyssey vs you having to figure it out.

So what I'm saying is...if you a curious about what I say (or anybody else who gives 2 cents), it should be as easy as running the calibration in each place, listening for a day or two and deciding which you like better.  That's a real plus with a 2 sub input as you don't have to manually figure that out.  

What is the first movie/album after calibration?

Thanks for the quick response and feedback! Ok, as you stated, this is a huge room with an open wall to the kitchen area and also an open entry to a hallway.

Here is a hand drawn sketch and some additional photos of different angles:

IMG_2675.JPG.85233f7e6424c3d7ae3f57b0344a150a.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG.44478a2a79a75ff3736e95aed5cc8817.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG.288874ec683610152e0e6ceccb553215.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG.7a99e421a647e7cdd23b116c97e0ee65.JPG

As you can see and already noticed, I am OCD abot symmetry LOL... Those 2 columns in the rear would make placement of the sub there a tough one.

What you think?

As for first movie, I was thinking about Hacksaw Ridge in 4K HDR

Edited by AviatorBimmer

Looks like you've made the best of a tough layout.  Those big open family rooms make placement of surround speakers difficult.

I'd worry that your side surrounds are too close to the listener and may sound a bit hot.  The further you could pull them away from the listener the better.

• Like 1

OCD in a good way.

1.  Calibrate as is and test for a while.

2.  Back left by the plant, right up against the wall for reenfrocement.  Leave front right where it is.  I tend to think the wall on the right reenforces bass and this may help balance it more evenly so the right side isnt overpowering.  2a test placement might be right sub closer to the right front corner (outside the right main).

3. Back right in that corner under the table and leave left sub as is.  This will provide corner loading for a lot more low end bass.  3a would be to move left outside of left main closer to the piano.  Balance may be better further away.

Get a really long sub cable and move them around testing if youre up for it.  I guarantee one set of positions will sound way better than the others...which i cant say without hearing them or measuring.  No matter what the subs must be wall loaded in that huge room so you get some solid low end.  Gains will likely be very high...thats why that back right corner might be good (or front right corner with the back left by the plant).   Just my 2c dont take my word do what u like best.

Crossover at 60 or 80.  With audyssey calibration one or more layouts will make it impossible to hear where the subs are and thats key.  If more than one layout is invisible i would pick the one that sounds best in the most seats.

2 hours ago, fuzzydog said:

Looks like you've made the best of a tough layout.  Those big open family rooms make placement of surround speakers difficult.

I'd worry that your side surrounds are too close to the listener and may sound a bit hot.  The further you could pull them away from the listener the better.

I agree w Fuzz here.