Get a better USB cable from PC to preamp? Difference?

avguytx

I hope this isn't opening too big a can of worms like a speaker wire discussion but was curious what others have done.  I play FLAC files from my computer which are stored on a NAS.  The computer is hooked from a USB output to my new Onkyo P-3000R preamp with a generic "everyone has this USB around the house" kind of cable.  Is it worth spending a little money on a "better" cable for any audio difference or would it be more so for shielding?  (which I was thinking)  I'd spend $20 to $40 on a cable if it was that much of a difference especially considering it's a new preamp wasn't cheap (compared to some) even if I did buy it at Rep Sample price.  I'm a Network Administrator for the city I live in and was for a school district so I have LOTS of cables around.

Just curious...

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Borrow a higher end cable from a friend, and do a blind test

No friends in town that get into audio.  Just my best friend of 40 years and that's only occasionally with a lot of my older gear that's been stored there since moving back here in 2010.  He has no internet as his place (too far out) so it's all via Spotify or CD's he already has.

There are generally two schools of thought on this. The first is the "Digital is only 1s and 0s so the cable doesn't matter" and the other is the "Digital 1s and 0s is still expressed as voltage levels thus a cheap cable can distort these levels to the point the DAC can misread them"

Personally, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle and would get a decent monoprice one from amazon and call it good.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-6-Feet-24AWG-Plated-105438/dp/B003BXPQF2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501186398&sr=8-3&keywords=monoprice+USB+6ft

I have heard though that going past 6 ft with a USB run can degrade the quality though.

If you are using a PC, make sure to be sending out the digital info through WASAPI or AISO instead of your computers audio mixer. This will make a MUCH bigger improvement over USB quality.

Yep, those are the only two versions I use as Onkyo has "proprietary" drivers that had to be installed on the PC before it would work.

I agree about it being somewhere in the middle.  I would think a decent cable with good shielding and nothing crazy would be all that's needed.  I mostly fall into that camp about a digital cable not mattering to a certain extent.  Length of cabling is what degrades.  That's why HDMI has their standards for cable length as does USB.  I believe USB is 16.4 feet. 

May just get a decent 6 foot cable and give it a whirl.  Nothing too fancy but better than what comes out of the Cracker Jacks boxes. :D

I use 'Curious' USB cables in addition to Uptone Audio's products.

ISO-REGEN powered by an LPS-1 power supply and then into an IFI MICROLINK USB-SPDIF converter that has anti-jitter technology. Works for me.

Sounds great. I almost never listen to cd's anymore.....going on over two years now.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

"If you are using a PC, make sure to be sending out the digital info through WASAPI or AISO instead of your computers audio mixer. This will make a MUCH bigger improvement over USB quality."

Can this be done using Windows XP?

•  

Windows XP? Seriously? ;)

6 hours ago, SWL said:

I use 'Curious' USB cables in addition to Uptone Audio's products.

ISO-REGEN powered by an LPS-1 power supply and then into an IFI MICROLINK USB-SPDIF converter that has anti-jitter technology. Works for me.

Sounds great. I almost never listen to cd's anymore.....going on over two years now.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

The ISO version is great but if you don't want to spend as much the USB REGEN is pretty darn good!  

• Like 1