Audio Mirror equipment

tube fanatic

Yep, owned two pairs. He now only uses the big Russian 6c33 power tube, two each mono. Forty watts of single ended power, huge trannies but fire breathing dragons for sure. If you csn deal with the heat the 6c makes the best sounding tube amps I have owned. Owned the AM, Almarro and Antique Sound Labs using this same power tube. His earlier amps proved a bit troublesome with poorly placed bias controls, resistors that would go poof. But Vlad always made good on any issue. His new amps use self bias I believe. They made Klipsch Heritage sound absolutly Huge - made PP and UL tube amps sound very small. 

I'm not surprised at your impressions of the AM amps.  I would expect them to destroy the popular p-p ultralinear amps any day.  Did you sell yours because of the high heat generated?  In a cold climate they could probably replace a space heater in a poorly insulated room!

Maynard  

Heat was one reason and availability of closely matched tubes was another. Although his new self bias amps would elevate that problem. Both times I owned them my rig was upstairs in a semi-closed cabinet which is a no-no with these tubes. Each 6c was about 4 inches away from the side of the cabinet and one day I smelled something - it was tube heat burning the finish from the wood!! The Almarro 318 used just one tube per channel in an integrated design and by then everything was moved to the basement on an open stand so heat was of no concern. The 6c33 are damn big tubes with solid thick glass construction. Makes a KT 88 look puny. Actually designed to use in Russian MIG aircraft guidance systems so rugged they had to be. While I am slowly weening myself from tubes I could actually own these yet again and can only imagine the sound through Jubilees.

And yes, without mentioning any names or brands the Mirrors will slay the designs you mentioned. 

Pretty sure I got to hear some of his offerings at the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas a few years back. For some reason I am thinking speakers that he had, but it may have been amps also. Does he have a store? I am in Houston and would love to get in touch.

Rick

On 7/28/2017 at 2:11 PM, richieb said:

Heat was one reason and availability of closely matched tubes was another. Although his new self bias amps would elevate that problem. Both times I owned them my rig was upstairs in a semi-closed cabinet which is a no-no with these tubes. Each 6c was about 4 inches away from the side of the cabinet and one day I smelled something - it was tube heat burning the finish from the wood!! The Almarro 318 used just one tube per channel in an integrated design and by then everything was moved to the basement on an open stand so heat was of no concern. The 6c33 are damn big tubes with solid thick glass construction. Makes a KT 88 look puny. Actually designed to use in Russian MIG aircraft guidance systems so rugged they had to be. While I am slowly weening myself from tubes I could actually own these yet again and can only imagine the sound through Jubilees.

And yes, without mentioning any names or brands the Mirrors will slay the designs you mentioned. 

How much do these put out? wow