Good Efficient Center to go with Chorus IIs in 5.1

Biscuit

I have Chorus II on the front of a 5.1.  I currently have a 96db RC-35 as my center and it is a little underwhelming with the chorus iis. I could use some recommendations on a center that would compete that:

1) isn't too large.  Would like to stay < 30w, 11 deep and 11 high.

2) closer to 100db sensitivity

3) Would like to stay $600 or less

Was looking at this custom made piece from Bob Crites.  A little longer than I would prefer, but wanted to know if any had any experience with this speaker?

Thanks!

@BiscuitThis DIY kit is highly regarded, less than $300 including flat pack.  It is 27" wide and has 98.5 sensitivity which fits your criteria.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-8/fusion8-center-kit.html

If you have some interest in DIY (not a competitor to Klipsch IMO) I and several others on this board who have kits from DIYSoundgroup can expound.  Just ask.

Go with the RC-7, absolute best match IMO although I think just slightly larger than what you listed. KV-4 would be my second recommendation, ran both models for years with Chorus II's and thought they were both great with the RC-7 being notably better.

• Like 1

Here's the specs for the RC-7:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120427015141/http://www.klipsch.com:80/rc-7-center-speaker#second

SPECIFICATIONS

• BUILT FROM: 2001
  • BUILT UNTIL: 2006
  • CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 1950Hz
    MF: 550Hz
  • DIMENSIONS: 9" (23cm) x 26" (66.5cm) x 12" (30.7cm)
  • ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF
  • ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via dual rear-firing ports
  • FINISHES: Cherry or Black wood veneer
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 45Hz-20kHz (+-)3dB
  • HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 8" square 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
  • INPUT CONNECTIONS: 2 sets of binding post speaker terminals
  • MOUNTING: Dual Downtilt feet
  • NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
  • POWER HANDLING: 200 w max continuous (800 w peak)
  • SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
  • TWEETER: K-67-DV 1.75" (4.45cm) Titanium dome compression driver
  • WEIGHT: 42 lbs. (19kg)
  • WOOFER: Two K-1083-SB 8" (20.32cm) Cerametallic(r) cone / cast polymer frame
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lost240 said:

If you don't want to go through making one yourself I have an Academy in black that will be a match for you.

Go with the Academy....if you have the room.....Throw in an upgrade kit from Bob.......you will be set.

KLF C-7 would be my next choice......

George,

• Like 3

The Academy has the same sensitivity as the 35 and has a baby horn tweeter, I've had several and although it would likely be an upgrade over the 35 it is at the bottom of my list of the larger Klipsch center speakers. 

• Like 1

I sure wish people would stop recommending mis-matched centers solely based on what they think.  RC-7, um no, RC-64II, um no, KLF-C7, um no.  The correct timbre' matched center to you Chorus II speakers is the Academy.  The best choice would obviously be a third Chorus II, but a Forte II and a Quartet would also work.

• Like 4

Could you share where or how you find the correct center that is intended for which Speaker package, please.

I understand the rationale that suggests pairing Forte's with a forte as the center speaker.

Where does one find list of Klipsch Speakers and the reccomend Center Speaker?

Thank you in advance. Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I sure wish people would stop recommending mis-matched centers solely based on what they think.  RC-7, um no, RC-64II, um no, KLF-C7, um no.  The correct timbre' matched center to you Chorus II speakers is the Academy.  The best choice would obviously be a third Chorus II, but a Forte II and a Quartet would also work.

Funny how you dog the mis-match and in the same breath suggest a mis-match of your own? The forte and Quartet do not sound the same as a Chorus although they will work just fine and so will the other center speakers mentioned

On 7/31/2017 at 6:21 AM, Frzninvt said:

The best choice would obviously be a third Chorus II

I asked Jim, the Klipsch Historian, a question much like this during the 2017 pilgrimage except my reference was for 3 speaker stereo. His answer was "another Chorus II". 

• Like 1

I have a pair of Chorus II's for my fronts and asked the same question about 2 years ago. I got a similar response at first (...another Chorus II),but others responded in a smilar way as you above!

I patiently waited and watched criagslist for an Academy center, Forte II's, or Quartets.  Lucky for me, about a week into my search, a really nice pair of Quartet's popped up for $275, which I jumped on.  As it was a pair, I still have the "extra" one sitting off in the closet.  

Joel

• Like 1