Which turntable??

I currently have the Marantz TT-15S1 (Mfg by ClearAudio). It's a damn fine table, IMO. However, I want to move up to a VPI. Not for any glaring limitations with the table, but just because I'm in this hobby and upgradeitis is always prevalent.

If anything my main complaint with the Marantz/ClearAudio is all the variability in the tonearm and the wacky antiskate they have. The tonearm slot is not keyed, so there is a chance that the arm can be off during setup. They also have a magnetic antiskate, which is somewhat confounding. I still can't tell if it does anything.

I am really sucked in by the VTA on the fly options on certain VPI tables. Since I am constantly changing between older and newer, heavier LPs it seems like that would really come in handy. One of these days....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I own a Clearaudio Concept Wood and love it.

I Almost went with a VPI Classic 1 from the internetz (and was also looking at a Clearaudio Performance DC), but I got to demo the Wood for a few weeks and decided to pull the trigger. I got the Satisfy carbon fiber tonearm. I also upgraded the cartridge to the Audio Technica AT Art-9.
The tonearm on the Concept Wood was a better tonearm than the one on the Performance DC (that I was considering)... also, I believe the Satisfy tonearm retails for more than what the stock VPI Classic tonearm goes for (at least in the States)... can't speak to performance though.
Finally, the Satisfy tonearm alleviates the problems that some people had with the regular Concept: footfalls

On the other hand, people who have VPIs really seem to dig them.

Edited by cadeallaw

On 7/28/2017 at 10:39 AM, wstrickland1 said:

Both mfgs are well respected. I personally like VPI but not because I think it's "better", I just have experience with it. I have a Scoutmaster and it is a sweet machine.

I like Basis because of my experience with it -- it has an outstanding sound quality.

With Basis, one does not need to go higher than the 2001, which AJ Conti used for himself.  The admirable Basis record clamp is a must, however.  The Vector arm seems to have been a great leap forward.  Sadly, AJ's untimely death may have stalled the company, as I haven't heard much about it recently.