Cross-overs advise Klipsch Reference Premiere Line

IMWhizzle

Guys, I need some advise. At the moment I own:

4x Klipsch 280F

1x Klipsch 450C

2x Klipsch 140SA

1 Klipsch R-115SW

So I took Audyssey XT32 measurements on my Marantz 6010 AVR. I really don't like the sound of the Audyssey software and what it does to my speakers. I think that it's because of my room. I also experimented with subwoofer placement and an all round 80hz crossover, but I am not happy with the bass response in my room. I leave the distance setting unaltered as Audyssey found them.

I recalibrated all speakers including the sub to 75db with the iPhone app of Studio Six Digital which is calibrated itself for my specific IPhone 6s Plus.

When I play music and movies the bass sound on the MLP is too much while the speakers setting in he avr are small with a crossover of 80hz. Also the 60hz setting on the mains and the surround sounds bloated as if the sub and the woofers in the towers are competing with each other. I think it has something to do with the room and the speaker placement. But, esthetically my wife thinks no alterations should be done to the placement.

But when I choose a crossover of 120hz the bass sounds clean, but in my head I think, why did I get towers for? So I am constantly searching for a all round crossover setting for all the speakers. 60hz sounds good all around, but isn't that straining for the center speaker? I also have read somewhere online that one should choose an all round crossover instead of different crossovers because of the science of bass, distance settings and wavelengths which can influence the time alignment.

Maybe you guys can help me out finding the correct settings in my room. Here is a picture of it.0b50462181172f34382ab946a0f9ce5f.jpg

You have wood floors that are reflective.  The sub is pushed into the corner.  And area rug would help. Also moving the sub 12 to 18 inches from the wall

I have the RF 7ll and XO at 80 or 100 Hz.  Nothing said you  should use the lowest XO based on speaker spec.  The XO is use to get  the best sound and best integration  between the mains and sub.

You have wood floors that are reflective.  The sub is pushed into the corner.  And area rug would help. Also moving the sub 12 to 18 inches from the wall

I have the RF 7ll and XO at 80 or 100 Hz.  Nothing said you  should use the lowest XO based on speaker spec.  The XO is use to get  the best sound and best integration  between the mains and sub.

Thank you for your response.

The sub is already 30 cm from the wall on both sides. Doesn't look like it on the photo but it is.

Also just now I've tried a crossover setting of 120hz on all speakers. Much, much better. I also have a rug on the floor under the sitting area. The main speakers are 40cm from the wall both sides. Also, you can't see it on the pictures but there is a curtain behind the rear speakers.

Also, localization is surprisingly not an issue with the 120hz crossover now. It think it has to do with the oddly shaped living room. I will listen to it a couple of days when I get back from my holiday.
  • Like 1

Ahh I have found the problem! I just played a 80hz test tone with all the speakers on 80hz and measured it with the spl meter. I looked for the highest spl setting and increased the subwoofer distance setting with 3ft and switched the phase setting on the sub from 0 to 180 degrees.

Problem solved!! [emoji16]

• Like 1