K402 question

NBPK402

Yes I am using those.... also another forum member "Stavok" is also using them. It was a big improvement over the original.  I could not afford to re engineer the TAD (also a lot more money)  I have used them both with passive and active. I have the settings for the DX-38 if you need them.

So are you saying the EV DH1a is s big improvement over the stock k402 driver or is it the Klipsch is a big improvement over the EV driver?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ellisr63 said:

So are you saying the EV DH1a is s big improvement over the stock k402 driver or is it the Klipsch is a big improvement over the EV driver?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I suspect he means the EV/Klipsch driver sounds better than the  Aton/P-Audio/Klipsch driver.

I had the stock K69 when I purchased the 402's....   They come as a package.

I was looking for the next step and almost bought some TAD's but in the process the price went from about 2500 to over 3K so I walked away.

I then heard the EV DH1A's talked about on this forum and how goo they sound so I tried a set and was impressed. They brought everything to a new level. It is hard to put into words but it was almost like lifting a veil.  There are a few forum members using them last I heard.

• Like 1

Thanks...that is what I was hoping. I know that the JBL 2360a, sounded great with the EV drivers...so I kept them for the new K402 horn.

What are you crossing them over at...do you do a high shelf too?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I hope to have a basic box made for it this Sunday...once we get to our new location, and. get settled I will start the build

Today we listened to the k402 horn in its new cabinet with the EV DH1a driver, and it sounded great. We compared it to a smaller EV horn with the same driver with both horns being crossed over at 500hz to LA Scala bass bins. The k402 horn sound much fuller on the bottom end than the smaller EV horn driver combo. The EV horn sounds excellent, but the k402 horn takes it up another level. I want to say it sounded even better than the JBL 2360a horn did with the same driver, but that is going by how the JBL sounded in my room, and tune a few months ago. We used the same settings for the MiniDSP that we used on my JBLs, and on the smaller EV horns.

My friend, and I now know why people make the really big horns! BIGGER HORNS SOUND EVEN BETTER! Next we will be tuning the DIY Synergy horn we made, and see how it does compared to the K402, and the EV horn.

I am hoping it sounds better than the EV/LA Scala bass bin combo...if it does I fully expect the Klipsch 402 wood version to sound even better than the K402/LA Scala bass bin combo does. I will post up how the first Synergy compares hopefully in the next week.

The other option is for me to get brave and mod the k402 for Synergy like Chris did. I wish that Klipsch would return to the $300 horn for selling to DIYers...they could remove all identifying marks, and sell it with no warranty as a similar horn. They also could sell a B stock to DIYers...they are not losing any customers as the ones that would buy it can't afford or don't want to invest that much in the speaker. If the original was priced too low...sell it for $500 a piece, and then it is a reasonable price. This is only my opinion, but I think for the price they are charging you should be getting the top driver, and a cabinet included.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 11:14 PM, ellisr63 said:

I was going to use my EV DH1a drivers in the k402.

Roy did test my EV driver and he said it was a GOOD driver. It was also the driver used by Mr. Pope to convince PWK that tractrix horns were better, using the anechoic chamber in Hope.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

I just looked at the Klipsch driver I got and it is the Kt-1132...isn't that supposed to be the better driver?

Not for the 2-way.  Should have custom ordered the K-691 if that's what you are going to do.  

• Like 1

Not for the 2-way.  Should have custom ordered the K-691 if that's what you are going to do.  

Well we planned on using the EV DH1a drivers from the start, so I am going to try and find out what the K1132 is worth and sell it.

• Like 1