1960 Klipschorns and Mcintosh Electronics $1800 - Boston Metro West

applebees

Are you watching this Gary @Tigerman.  Woostah is not too fah from you.  Get da cah outa da bahn and grab this great deal.  Oh wait . . . there are McIntosh gear and Khorns too.  I was distracted by the organ.

If I were closer I'd grab these and visit the graves of my mother, her parents and my great grandparents in Worcester.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All - P.J here.  Tom's influence finally pushed me past the brink.. These are my Klipshorns now!  I've wanted some ever since hearing Tom's almost 10 years ago and have been sporadically checking Craigslist for years...  Luckily these were pretty close to me and after consulting with Tom on how much I should offer, I decided to go for them.  The seller, Ed, was a great guy, an audiophile & retired physics teacher being forced to downsize into a smaller place.  He just wanted to sell the speakers to someone who would appreciate them.  They are from the early 60's, purchased by Ed from the owner of "The Music Box" in Wellesley in the early 70's.  Apparently they were part of the owner's personal collection and Ed had been going into the store regularly for years to check them out- eventually the owner upgraded to a newer pair and convinced Ed to buy these-- saying that if he waited until he had enough money, he wouldn't have the hearing to truly enjoy them.

Very cool story, and I am now the proud new owner!  Right now I have them hooked up to an HK 430 and they sound incredible, nothing else I've owned even comes close.  Tom pointed me to this forum so I'm excited to join and talk to some other enthusiasts.  I am in the process of trying to find the serial numbers and learn a little bit more about these things, Tom is an excellent resource as I am sure many of you are.  Looking forward to all that follows!

Best,

P.J

WP_20170806_22_02_44_Rich.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, x107 said:

. . .  Right now I have them hooked up to an HK 430 and they sound incredible, nothing else I've owned even comes close.  Tom pointed me to this forum so I'm excited to join and talk to some other enthusiasts.  I am in the process of trying to find the serial numbers and learn a little bit more about these things, Tom is an excellent resource as I am sure many of you are.  Looking forward to all that follows!

Best,

P.J

Welcome P.J.-

An h/k 430 is an excellent receiver to power Khorns.  Being influenced to get Khorns is good, just don't let Tom turn you into a Penguins fan. :-))

• Like 1

22 hours ago, x107 said:

Hi All - P.J here.  Tom's influence finally pushed me past the brink.. These are my Klipshorns now!  I've wanted some ever since hearing Tom's almost 10 years ago and have been sporadically checking Craigslist for years...  Luckily these were pretty close to me and after consulting with Tom on how much I should offer, I decided to go for them.  The seller, Ed, was a great guy, an audiophile & retired physics teacher being forced to downsize into a smaller place.  He just wanted to sell the speakers to someone who would appreciate them.  They are from the early 60's, purchased by Ed from the owner of "The Music Box" in Wellesley in the early 70's.  Apparently they were part of the owner's personal collection and Ed had been going into the store regularly for years to check them out- eventually the owner upgraded to a newer pair and convinced Ed to buy these-- saying that if he waited until he had enough money, he wouldn't have the hearing to truly enjoy them.

Very cool story, and I am now the proud new owner!  Right now I have them hooked up to an HK 430 and they sound incredible, nothing else I've owned even comes close.  Tom pointed me to this forum so I'm excited to join and talk to some other enthusiasts.  I am in the process of trying to find the serial numbers and learn a little bit more about these things, Tom is an excellent resource as I am sure many of you are.  Looking forward to all that follows!

Best,

P.J

need more pictures !!!!

Attaching a few more pics-

The serial number is only readable on one of the speakers' labels (attached) - the other one is completely faded.  It looks like it says 1B860 or maybe 1B862 which doesn't really match the scheme of ##Letter#### from here.  So either there are numbers missing and these are from '63 or they are pre-62?  Any ideas?

WP_20170807_18_01_44_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_08_15_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_02_15_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_02_04_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_01_31_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_00_17_Rich.jpg

WP_20170806_22_10_48_Rich.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, x107 said:

Attaching a few more pics-

The serial number is only readable on one of the speakers' labels (attached) - the other one is completely faded.  It looks like it says 1B860 or maybe 1B862 which doesn't really match the scheme of ##Letter#### from here.  So either there are numbers missing and these are from '63 or they are pre-62?  Any ideas?

WP_20170807_18_01_44_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_08_15_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_02_15_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_02_04_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_01_31_Rich.jpg

WP_20170807_18_00_17_Rich.jpg

WP_20170806_22_10_48_Rich.jpg

b=1963 fr= fir raw d= decorators 

fits with the back story...

what did you get them for...

it would be nice to remove the paint

and fill any damage ..clear them..