Forte II x over OEM/Crites build

Here is the latest x over for the Forte II's. Basically nothing more than a remake of the factory schematic. The Moser solder posts made things a lot easier than expected, please do not look too closely as my soldering skills show up when I didn't have Tracy, my second set of eyes to help guide me. :) 

ft2800.jpg

ft2b800.JPG

Here is a little tip about mounting the steel core inductor.  If you use a steel screw (one that can be picked up with a magnet) through the core to mount these, you will actually add a bit of core mass and that increases the amount of inductance.  I ran into this one time using that style inductor and the increase was enough to effect how the circuit worked.  This can be solved by using a brass screw or a stainless steel screw.

Bob Crites

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEC said:

Here is a little tip about mounting the steel core inductor.  If you use a steel screw (one that can be picked up with a magnet) through the core to mount these, you will actually add a bit of core mass and that increases the amount of inductance.  I ran into this one time using that style inductor and the increase was enough to effect how the circuit worked.  This can be solved by using a brass screw or a stainless steel screw.

Bob Crites

Thanks for the tip. Had problems finding brass so I went with stainless steel  hardware through out.

11 hours ago, Don Richard said:

Check SS screws with a magnet, not all stainless is non-magnetic. 18-8, 303, 304 and 316 stainless are non-magnetic, some of the 400 series stainless are magnetic

Sure did and they tested fine though do not know the stainless material they were made of.

• 3 weeks later...