Bought My First Pair of HIPs

LalaWoots

Hello,

I've owned (and regrettably sold) most of the heritage line from Klipsch with the exception of HIPs and got a chance to remove the rear panels today. Are the drives original along with the crossovers (HIE)? There are a few scratches here and there and what could I use to to correct them?

Also, would the crossovers already need the caps replaced or new transformers? They are black with some texture that looks like finished drywall. I still consider myself a novice so any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

HIP1.jpg

HIP2.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! They must be one of the last of the original HIP's I'm guessing because of the k-42 woofers unless they've been replaced? I have a pair of these upgraded with Crites parts and will never let them go, fantastic little speakers when paired with the right subwoofers. I sent my whole crossover boards to Bob Crites for a re-cap, had them back in a few days and believe it cost me around $140 shipped both ways? 

• Like 1

That's a good idea.

I looked carefully for evidence and it looks like the woofers were never removed, hopefully that is the case (also they are stamped frames and not cast aluminum). I happen to have an extra set of HIP crossovers. How do the HIP differ from the HIE crossovers? I noticed the HIP have four metal cannister type caps, not the plastic type as the HIE do, which is better/longer lasting? I found an example below.

HIP3.jpg

• Like 1

If you wish to improve the sound greatly without Subs, you can do my Super Heresy/Baby Cornwall mod and turn the network into a Cornwall B. That way you can use this without a subwoofer. The network for this is the similar to a Klipshorn, which leaves the Midrange and Tweeter VERY loud..............much louder than the woofer. Changing the network to a Cornwall B by soldering to different taps on the Autoformer and replacing the Capacitors will do this for less than $10 and greatly improve the sound balance (lots more BASS). This will cost you an extra watt or two of amplifier power at normal listening, but I guarantee you will prefer it.

Cornwall B network.gif.jpg

• Like 1