Looking for rear surround suggestions

AccessDenied

My current setup:

RB-35s are my main speakers.
RC-62 as my center 

Bose 701 series 1 as my rear surrounds (Looking to replace these...)

The Bose were passed down to me by my Dad, and we both agree that they do not nearly compare with even the RB-35s...

I see a pair of RS52 on CL near me.
They are listed at $250 for the pair - is this reasonable? Or should I consider something else for surrounds?

I want something fairly compact that can be wall mounted.

Open to all suggestions!

Budget $300 - assuming I can sell the Bose for $150+

• Moderators

The RS-52 are fantastic speakers.  They had no problem keeping up with my RF-83 / RC-64 so they will definitely work with the RB-35 / RC-62.  I think $250 is a very reasonable price.  If they have been listed for awhile, they might sell them even cheaper.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AccessDenied said:

So I picked up the RS-52 pair for $220.
My brother lives literally one block over from where the guy was selling so he saved me a 6 hour drive as well!

Great score.

36 minutes ago, AccessDenied said:

I'm on my way to an entry-level HT...

IMO, quite a bit more than "entry level"

37 minutes ago, AccessDenied said:

Now I have a 5.0 setup.
If only I can convince my wife that we NEED a sub! :lol:

First you must convince your bride that she "needs" a new designer purse or pair of designer shoes.;)

Bill

• Like 1

Just now, willland said:

Great score.

IMO, quite a bit more than "entry level"

First you must convince your bride that she "needs" a new designer purse or pair of designer shoes.;)

Bill

hahaha thanks!
Fortunately my wife and I are pretty much minimalists... No designer bags or shoes; but maybe a high-end sushi dinner?!

But when it comes to audio, I want quality.

I got the RB-35s on my 13th birthday in 2003... They are still going strong and are still my main front speakers nearly 14 years later!

I just don't know anything about subs... Which is why I started a new thread to hopefully get some education on the subject! lol

1 hour ago, AccessDenied said:

Sub Suggestions anyone?

I'm very tight on budget now... (read less than $200 :o)
I see good reviews on a Polk PSW10 on Amazon for $89.
Is that just a waste of money?

I say, if possible, save up your $$$ and get something decent when you can afford it. 

Where is your location?  Maybe someone near can let you borrow an unused sub just to demo.

Bill

On July 31, 2017 at 9:05 AM, AccessDenied said:

assuming I can sell the Bose for $150+

This is your best option.  Put those things up on your local Craigslist page and get rid of them.  They just can't produce all the frequencies and detail needed and you risk blowing the crap out of those things.  

2 hours ago, AccessDenied said:

Sub Suggestions anyone?

I'm very tight on budget now... (read less than $200 :o)
I see good reviews on a Polk PSW10 on Amazon for $89.
Is that just a waste of money?

Good subs are a must. There is a misconception that more/bigger subs just means louder bass. It is true you can get more output but the real reason for upgrading is to have cleaner bass. The Klipsch philosophy is that if it moves it distorts and that is very true for subs as well. A small 10'' huffing and rattling in a corner is going to be far more offensive than a decent 15'' dropping the floor out of the room like a roller coaster ride.

For a good budget option, this Dayton Audio 15'' is well regarded and is around $200:

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1500-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00JZTQIJ4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1501778684&sr=8-6&keywords=dayton+audio+subwoofer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willland said:

I say, if possible, save up your $$$ and get something decent when you can afford it. 

Where is your location?  Maybe someone near can let you borrow an unused sub just to demo.

Bill

Eastern Shore of Maryland.

That would be incredible if possible... I always look at the garage forum but I don't see many ads in my area.

AD, you would definitely benefit from a sub in your system.

Keep an eye on the Frys.com daily deals. They regularly run the R-12SW twelve inch powered sub for $197 and it ships free. It was on sale earlier this week. For under $200 that sub would be hard to beat.

Congrats on your system!

Tim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

You could always trade a bushel of blue crabs for a loaner sub......or just have a big ole' crab eatin' party!!

I do know a guy who owns a crab shack...

Any takers?!
I'll supply the crabs and the beer, someone just needs to supply the sub! 
Annnd bonus crabs for whoever leaves a functioning subwoofer behind! :D

1 hour ago, teaman said:

AD, you would definitely benefit from a sub in your system.

Keep an eye on the Frys.com daily deals. They regularly run the R-12SW twelve inch powered sub for $197 and it ships free. It was on sale earlier this week. For under $200 that sub would be hard to beat.

Congrats on your system!

Tim

Thanks for the suggestion!
I already follow B&H daily deals for my photography gear lol.
One more for the morning routine!

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, AccessDenied said:

Really? haha I just figured compared to the rest of the crew here... 

There will always be folks with bigger/better systems. 

Here is what I consider an Entry Level System.  $250 for a complete 5.1 system!

82-780-017-S01.jpg

I agree...a sub is an absolute MUST for Home Theater.  Even if you have to start out with a mediocre sub for awhile, that is still better than no sub.  Lots of good deals on Craigslist for cheap if you are ok with owning 10yr old subs (pretty much all I've ever owned).  A Velodyne F1500 can be had for $150.  Velodyne HGS15 around $250. 

4 minutes ago, Youthman said:

There will always be folks with bigger/better systems. 

Here is what I consider an Entry Level System.  $250 for a complete 5.1 system!

82-780-017-S01.jpg

I agree...a sub is an absolute MUST for Home Theater.  Even if you have to start out with a mediocre sub for awhile, that is still better than no sub.  Lots of good deals on Craigslist for cheap if you are ok with owning 10yr old subs (pretty much all I've ever owned).  A Velodyne F1500 can be had for $150.  Velodyne HGS15 around $250. 

As long as it's quality equipment and has been cared for I don't mind if it's vintage.
My center and surrounds were both scored off craigslist, both were in great condition!

I really don't know where to start with subs though... So unless a Klipsch sub comes up on CL, and even then I'm not sure which models to avoid, I really don't know what I'm looking at...

I did see a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 near me for $300, or a Velodyne CT-12 for $150.
Either of these okay Subs?