Amsterdam Creep Cam

Zen Traveler

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, billybob said:

Even Amsterdam may have a hit and run or other crime committed there. Nice to have the definition in case a zoom enlargement is ever needed. Fortunately for me, I have Netflix and am able to travel from my not so easy chair. Looks lovely!

Watched some cctv footage on a show, forgot the name, of all these people in London and other large cities where the culprits and handbag thieves acted like they did not know what a cctv camera is, although there are cameras right in the open. Strange behaviors!

Crime aside, people watching is fun.

This was a good observation and found another genre of videos that's fun to watch if you've been there and the potential you suggest above: Driver's eye perspective video on routes in Amsterdam--This is one anyone going to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum have been on along with the Leidesplein for partying in between there and Centraal Station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYMMcwt8wwc

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, two of the most amazing places I have ever visited.

There is a thread in the old place that I enjoyed about Vincent Van Gogh and wish they could resurrect here--Could be interesting discussion....That said, NO DOUBT! It would be bragging how many days I've spent in the VVG museum and have been fortunate to visit the Rijksmuseum pretty close to a dozen times. :) 

....For those VVG fans who plan to visit Amsterdam--You've  gotta go to Otterlo. ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.shodan.io/explore

http://68.177.73.106:81/Top

http://camera.buffalotrace.com/view/view.shtml?id=71179&imagePath=/mjpg/video.mjpg&size=1

Using your favorite search engine, a simple search can unearth great finds quite easily.

Try "eagle cam", "eagle webcam" (substituting what your particular interest is for the word "eagle"), and you might be surprised at what turns up. This works for destinations and events as well; i.e., "rockies web cam" or "fireworks webcam".

The best way to really drill down and find a specific webcam is to use Google's inurlsearch operator. Most webcams have just a few different kinds of URLs, and you can find some hidden gems that are currently in Google's index.

For example, here's a sample search using Google:
inurl:/view.shtml: Append your desired location on there, for example, "france", and you'll come up with a lot of interesting information. You can also try inurl:view/index.shtml, or inurl:view/view.shtml for different results.

You can also use the intitle search operator to only search titles of Web pages. Try the following search strings:
intitle:liveapplet: This is an extremely simple search that reveals a surprising number of results. Try allintitle:”Network Camera NetworkCamera” for similar but different results.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Very cool, thanks for sharing the link. Was there about five years ago. Great city!

At an earlier stay in Amsterdam about ten years ago, my brother and I stepped into a bar. Right away someone said "Oh! Americans!" and seemed excited. I said, "Yeah."

"So sick of F - ing Americans."

We continued inside, sat down and had a few drinks with no more chatter from the guy. I think he just needed to vent some frustration. His comment didn't negatively affect my visit, but it has remained a strong memory.

2 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:

"So sick of F - ing Americans."

We continued inside, sat down and had a few drinks with no more chatter from the guy. I think he just needed to vent some frustration. His comment didn't negatively affect my visit, but it has remained a strong memory.

Ha! I can dig it. Unfortunately, it's been about 10 years since my last visit, but for the 20 years prior I spent many days in Amsterdam over 15 or so trips. Your story brought back memories of quite a few similar discussions. I lived in Germany for 4 years as a kid and went on my first solo "once in a lifetime" backpacking adventure in 1985. It was then Amsterdam was part of my adventure and I unexpectedly became obsessed with Vincent Van Gogh, as well as with travel itself. I saved up money after opening a small business that ended up being able to run itself for periods of time by 1991. From then to 2008 I took between 14 and 16 trips lasting between 10 days to a 6 week backpacking camping trip (camped several times) that was EXTREMELY awesome!

Anyway, I stopped calling these trips "vacations" and instead referred to them as learning expeditions. I also found myself in uncomfortable situations being an American and had to explain to others we aren't all alike. ;) At the end of a long day of exploring I came back to the T'Anker Hotel, which was behind Centraal Station, but is no longer there because the state purchased and extended the station. This place was wildly cool given I became friends with the owners, but too much to explain here. When you walk in the reception is a 24 hour bar which guests, and some locals hang and on this particular night one of the Hotel runners made  comment about how "Americans were assholes because they always were bragging bout riding public transportation for free" when they shoulda been paying. There were quite a few americans sitting around not knowing what to say and I was able to step in and give a cool anecdote that happened to me while camping outside the city limits and taking the train from the camp ground (Gaaspercamping)straight to Centraal.

The city center is packed with artful/old buildings and tremendous amount of people. When you take the train to the outskirts/campground it takes about 20 minutes and you go through 3 areas of HUGE tenement building where migrants over centuries have moved and lived. Anyway, I am on the train back to the campsite and am the only white guy amongst a dozen or so black youth who I had to wonder if they had jobs or were just part of the unemployed'/underemployed masses. Regardless, we arrive at this one stop, all 3 doors open and in each a policeman enters to check everyone's tickets (they do this randomly). I thought  surely several of these guys are going to get caught, but to my chagrin none did. As it happens, I was the last one checked and it seems everyone's eyes were on me. Lo and behold I pulled out my ticket, the cops got off and the doors closed. Immediately, all of us started smiling and the story I shared back at the bar/hotel was how cool it was being in the minority of them thinking I was the one going to get caught and that Americans do purchase tickets to ride! Yep. Thanks for letting me share this cultural moment again and Happy New Year!