Amsterdam Creep Cam

Zen Traveler

17 hours ago, LarryC said:

Very civilized...

I was there in 1992 for New Years and it was CRAZY. There is way too much to tell but the thing I remember most is that I met a fellow who was traveling with 2 chicks and we all shared bunks in a large dorm room at the local Youth Hostel (VondelPark). Anyway, they were from Australia and he REALLY was interested in talking American/Global politics. We drank at the bar for a while and as it got close to midnight got up and started walking amongst the crowd which was vast (the 4K video at midnight showed it nicely). The thing that struck me as we were talking was how surreal it was with firecrackers going off high in the sky as well as by our feet reminded me of wartime. 👀

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, Zen Traveler said:

When you take the train to the outskirts/campground it takes about 20 minutes and you go through 3 areas of HUGE tenement building where migrants over centuries have moved and lived.

On YouTube you can actually cover almost every area of the city by folks walking, biking, drones, and a ton of Driver's eye-view on trams and trains--It REALLY is mind-boggling to the degree that even an obscure route from the Gaaspercamping station out of town described above (including the tenement buildings) to Centraal Station is on it--Watching them is like being there on my TV and surround sound. :) This probably will be boring to most but search for "Amsterdam Walking "or "canal boat" and find something that may be more interesting.

20 minutes ago, T2K said:

Wonder how fast the train/tram was traveling between all those stops?

Used to live there ... the trains top out at about 70MPH.  Most amazing part is that the stops are timed to the SECOND ... when your train is supposed to leave a station at say 11:04, it WILL leave at 11:04:00 ... unbelievable :D 

Seems like a nice mode of transportation. It appears that the tram may reach 40 or so MPH before reaching the next station, it's hard to tell. I logged probably ten's of thousands of miles on a diesel in the past. Lots less enjoyable but still scenic.

Keith

21 hours ago, T2K said:

I watched the video and found it interesting Zen. Wonder how fast the train/tram was traveling between all those stops? Beats a bus.

Keith

That was an intercity train coming back from the outskirts of Amsterdam back to the city center. They also have that trip in reverse online...I never considered how fast it was going but my guess is between 40 to 60 MPH, The international trains go faster. 

20 hours ago, Emile said:

Most amazing part is that the stops are timed to the SECOND ... when your train is supposed to leave a station at say 11:04, it WILL leave at 11:04:00 ... unbelievable :D

Yep, Gotta love Western Europe's transportation system!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, T2K said:

I logged probably ten's of thousands of miles on a diesel in the past. Lots less enjoyable but still scenic.

I absolutely love train travel. Again, YouTube has an amazing number of routes, including pretty much all of the routes into the Jungfrau region of Switzerland...In fact, you can get a drivers eyeview from Bern, to Interlaken, and Interlaken up the various routes into the Berner Oberland....Here is one of my favorite videos because it's going up to Schynige Platte during the spring whereas I hiked up that mountain in winter when it was closed and have some awesome pics. Ha! It was also when I had one of the scariest moments of my life when the guide I was hiking with almost misjudged my capabilities. 😳

• Like 1

Last weekend I realized you actually could walk through both Schiphol and Centraal in Amsterdam and it made me realize I could actually go by train from the airport to the city center. A few days ago I posted the train trip from Gasperplaas (campground outskirts) while today I took that trip in reverse imagining going to the campsite after taking the train in from the airport. I skipped the ride back in town but decided to take the Number 5 tram to the Van Gogh museum from Centraal, which is 20 minutes in on this video: 

• 1 year later...

Please remove the link. No links on first post and no religious links at all. I love to discuss theology  but it is a violation of terms of service. Some latitude is allowed for asking for prayer and such, but  that's it. Need change your screen name as well.

Blessings,

Dave

4 hours ago, Mallette said:

Please remove the link. No links on first post and no religious links at all. I love to discuss theology  but it is a violation of terms of service. Some latitude is allowed for asking for prayer and such, but  that's it. Need change your screen name as well.

Blessings,

Dave

I think you are flagging the wrong thread. This one has no religious discussion and is about a live webcam in the heart of Amsterdam (along with other travel videos) which I still visit daily. :)

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

I think you are flagging the wrong thread. This one has no religious discussion and is about a live webcam in the heart of Amsterdam (along with other travel videos) which I still visit daily. :)

Trust me...I know what I am doing. You can't see it as it has not been approved and is hidden. I'll leave it until tomorrow then ban him if he doesn't quit preaching.

Dave

12 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Trust me...I know what I am doing. You can't see it as it has not been approved and is hidden. I'll leave it until tomorrow then ban him if he doesn't quit preaching.

Dave

I thought you were gone Dave?  One last hurrah?

No. Got the question answered (and pinned) that pissed me off. However, not going join the assault on free speech with the rest of the mods. I'll only act on reports that Forum members bring to my attention. I am SICK of this safe zone crap. There ain't no safe zone...

Dave

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Oh! I saw the last post was mine over a year ago and nothing like what you described in MY first post. Weird to pic this topic to preach but thanks for cleaning it up.

4 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I am SICK of this safe zone crap. There ain't no safe zone...

we're becoming a nation of wimps. I'm not in favor of mocking people and think we should all be respectful; but there are a lot bigger problems in the world than hurt feelings.