New Schiit Release

Rivernuggets

That's a very impressive amp. The price is really nice. As Emotiva retreats into cheapness, Schitt ascends.

No-Excuses Amp, No-Brainer Price
Vidar is nothing less than a no-excuses, exotic-topology, Class-AB, linear-supply, microprocessor-controlled, power-doubling, dual-mono-ish, intelligently-managed, drives-almost-anything power amp. No Class D, no switching supplies, no fans, no compromises, nothing in the signal path but music—for a three-figure price tag.

This company seems to have a hand in everything right now. Not sure if $700 for a 100wpc amp is a great deal, there is plenty of competition there. I also don't think Emotiva is retreating into cheapness, their prices have jumped significantly. 

1 hour ago, teaman said:

This company seems to have a hand in everything right now. Not sure if $700 for a 100wpc amp is a great deal, there is plenty of competition there. I also don't think Emotiva is retreating into cheapness, their prices have jumped significantly. 

I think he was referring to things moving to class H vs class AB.. and now at a higher price to boot.  They use some of the same core topology as the XPR's did.  But IDK, they don't make the XPR's anymore.  And he had to raise prices supposedly for letting bricks and mortar retailers sell his stuff, but coincidentally a year later no such dealers exist, hmm.  Then he (Dan Laufman) recently sent out a message saying no more discounting.  So I got my XPA 5 G2 at an Emotiva event discount new at $700-ish, full tilt was a grand at the time... a couple (literally maybe just two years) of years later G3 version costs about double what I paid.  Schiit on the other hand is trying to make pretty good schiit.. made in the US... but at as close to made in China prices that they can achieve.  I heard this at AXPONA hooked up to some Salks and it sounded pretty good.  It will be interesting to see how these do.  Might even try one or two after they have been out in the wild for a year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dudeisms said:

I think he was referring to things moving to class H vs class AB.. and now at a higher price to boot.  They use some of the same core topology as the XPR's did.  But IDK, they don't make the XPR's anymore.  And he had to raise prices supposedly for letting bricks and mortar retailers sell his stuff, but coincidentally a year later no such dealers exist, hmm.  Then he (Dan Laufman) recently sent out a message saying no more discounting.  So I got my XPA 5 G2 at an Emotiva event discount new at $700-ish, full tilt was a grand at the time... a couple (literally maybe just two years) of years later G3 version costs about double what I paid.  Schiit on the other hand is trying to make pretty good schiit.. made in the US... but at as close to made in China prices that they can achieve.  I heard this at AXPONA hooked up to some Salks and it sounded pretty good.  It will be interesting to see how these do.  Might even try one or two after they have been out in the wild for a year.

Yes, that's more or less what i see happening. Those old Emotiva amps were like tanks and at nice pricing. I haven't purchased any Schitt stuff yet, but my next dAC will probably be one of theirs. I just like what I'm seeing from them. It reminds me of the old Emotiva.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 0:03 AM, teaman said:

Inexpensive doesn't equal cheap.  That was part of the point I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Inexpensive doesn't equal cheap.  That was part of the point I think.

Time will tell I guess, I don't know many people who have jumped into any new Emotiva gear since they launched a lot of it.

I bought my Emo A-100 MiniX for the massive amount of $149 12/15/15 to drive my RB-81ii's - and to test the TN company's PRC-made goodies. Wow - was I impressed! After acquiring my vintage Heresys 9/16, I looked for another one, but they were gone. I had to 'settle' for the FLEX model's replacement -  the a-100 BasX. The same basic amp, except for the S/N (was 95 dB; now 110 dB!) and the added headphone jack. It was on a Seasonal Sale, too - and <$200 shipped... a deal. I had wanted two 2.0 stereo CD only systems, now I have them! Then along comes this new Schiit amp. I want a Vidar so badly now... USA made would be nice.

I had nearly ordered a PRC-made Yaqin MC-13 tube amp (6CA7) for the same $700 (Amazon)... decided I didn't need it... then along comes this thread! Oh sure, more power and less distortion - great. Someone please buy one and evaluate it... I don't need much of an excuse... just don't want to be 'first'! I was 69 last Saturday - and my CEO has okayed the purchase of one of the amps, Yaqin or Schiit. In fact, she nearly ordered the tube amp for me last week (I think I had worn her down!). Having worked on hifi gear since the 60's, including tube-gear, I prefer SS anyhow. Help?!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone take the plunge yet? I've read a couple favorable reviews online. One stated how the Vidar is comparable to amps in the $2000 range. Now that's a compliment. The same reviewer thought the Vidar had (paraphrasing here) ample and controlled bass with flat mids and highs.

Sounds like a good match for Klipsch, IMO.

I don't know to be honest.

I get it at the US prices. But at just about 2100£ (2xVidar and 1x Freya) i think there is better options out there. Like the Rotel RA-1592 or Hegel H160 for example. I know some people don't like integrated as much as i do. And they are less powerfull. But this is a Klipsch forum, not many Klipsch speakers need more than 150/200 watts ya know😛

I would like to hear a set though!

The Freya does look very nice.

• Like 1