Klipschorn Review - Audio 1986

edwinr

It's an oldie, but a goodie. Most people who own, or have owned Klipschorns have seen this review, but it's always good to have another read.  What I take out of this review is that for the best results the Klipschorn should have two good corners (we know this) in a large room with high ceilings.  I wonder if the sealed back version of the Klipschorn is less demanding vis a vis placement options:  http://www.soundhifi.com/klipsch/86horn.htm

The classic Richard Heyser article.  Hard to believe it's over 30 yrs. old!  

In particular, I liked how his subjective comments related so well to the real world, like the accuracy of replicating the sounds of helicopter blades and car doors slamming, and how well the accuracy of things like piano recordings traveled from room to room.  We take those things for granted nowadays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LarryC said:

The classic Richard Heyser article.  Hard to believe it's over 30 yrs. old!  

In particular, I liked how his subjective comments related so well to the real world, like the accuracy of replicating the sounds of helicopter blades and car doors slamming, and how well the accuracy of things like piano recordings traveled from room to room.  We take those things for granted nowadays.

Those of us who have Khorns do.

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

More than once I've noticed the "live music" next door phenomenon with horn-loaded speakers.

My explanation is that it's all about the micro-dynamics. Horn speakers reproduce the extremely small differences in dynamic shading that are crucial in rendering musical instruments in a life-like way. This is maintained even when you're not in the same room as the speakers — our brains still get enough of that information which completes the illusion that we're hearing real live musical instruments.

When we listen to an audio system that omits those micro-dynamics our brains fill-in the missing information, but only to a certain degree. When we're not in the same room as the speakers our brains are not able to add enough of the missing info and we immediately become aware that we're listening to a sound reproduction system.

• Like 2