Tube CD players???

gottajam

Has anybody tried / auditioned any tube CD players? Every now and then I see one pop up on the 'gon. There is one on there right now that seems to spark my interest for some reason. It is a Shanling T100. Some of the reviews seem to indicate that this CDP is pretty nice. However, there are too many other reviews that mention that this CDP is lacking in bass. That alone is not enough to sway me. Everybody's hearing and the way they process music is a little different.

But if it ever kicks that bucket, China is a long way off to be hauling a fragile piece of audio gear. That alone is reason enough to sway me.

So my question is, have any of you guys had / auditioned any tube CDPs? Is it even worth pursuing? If it IS worth it, which brands are worth looking into? 

There do not seem to be a proliferation of companies scrambling to kick off the next gen of tube CD players. 

39 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I have an Njoe Tjoeb and love it.  It's basically a factory modded re-badged Marantz.

I have this same CDP with the upsampler and upgraded power cord, great sounding unit. The most analog sounding CDP I have ever heard.. (Njoe Tjoeb) is pronounced (New Tube)...

1 minute ago, canyonman said:

I have this same CDP with the upsampler and upgraded power cord, great sounding unit. The most analog sounding CDP I have ever heard.. (Njoe Tjoeb) is pronounced (New Tube)...

I think the model is Ah! (or something like that).  Not sure if they still make them.

14 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Mine is currently collecting dust Jay.  I'm in the middle of a bedroom remodel and that system is scattered all over the house.  I can't wait to get it up and running again.

Well Carl,

To be honest with you sometimes I go 8 months or more without ever turning mine on!!! My TT setup is killer and my Master Tapes on reels are even better, so my CDP rarely gets used....

I have the California Audio Labs Sigma and Delta combo, the DAC has tubes and so far I have not heard anything better in CD players. Sometimes eerily close to analog sound. 

Some of my other gear is McIntosh MC30's, MC240's, MC300, C22 III, MX110Z and Klipschorns...

I am at a lost, a tube CD player is suppose to add some tube like quality to the sound.  Now, we are talking about a digital signal.  I assume, if you have a tube CD, you have a tube preamp and amp.  How can you tell what the tube CD is doing and the the DAC is still process digital to analog.  Where is the tubes doing much to the signal?

I can understand using the BDP(Oppo) but, the tube things is questionable without further explanation.

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I am at a lost, a tube CD player is suppose to add some tube like quality to the sound.  Now, we are talking about a digital signal.  I assume, if you have a tube CD, you have a tube preamp and amp.  How can you tell what the tube CD is doing and the the DAC is still process digital to analog.  Where is the tubes doing much to the signal?

I can understand using the BDP(Oppo) but, the tube things is questionable without further explanation.

Most tubed CD players use the tube/tubes at the output of the CDP, in the low pass analog circuit (after the DAC chip) where the buffering op amps would be...the tubes are used instead of op-amps for buffering.

I've had an old Carver 490T tubed CD player, and have Daddy Dee's Heart/Marantz tubed unit...I dunno, there is something to be said about a CD player with a tubed output.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your answers and time. 

Silversport. I also see a Marantz 6000SE "tubed by Heart" for sale in the used market. I have never heard of "Heart" or "Tubed by Heart". I also see a Vincent tube CDP. I cannot find a whole heck of a lot of info on the Vincent. But the Marantz is more prolific in USA. If anything ever went wrong with it, I would most likely have an easier time trying to get any repairs done.

Have you done any tube rolling with the 6000SE? 

JOLIDA JD 100A Tube CD PLAYER

Mine was modded by HotRodAudioMods new and I replaced it with an Oppo BD105 to save space; probably shouldn't have; zero issues. When sold to a forum member it somehow had the tray door break off but some glue fixed that.

Sold ones: https://www.hifishark.com/model/jolida-jd-100

• Like 2

JOLIDA JD 100A Tube CD PLAYER

I have this cd player as well. Rolling different tubes can give the sound a different flavor. I settled on Mullard long plate 12AX7's. I've had this cd player for approximately ten years. However.....

Since I've gone to playing different file types from my media player EQ'd in the digital domain I rarely use a cd player anymore. When the mood strikes to play a cd, I always use the digital output of the Jolida.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SWL said:

I have this cd player as well. Rolling different tubes can give the sound a different flavor. I settled on Mullard long plate 12AX7's. I've had this cd player for approximately ten years. However.....

Since I've gone to playing different file types from my media player EQ'd in the digital domain I rarely use a cd player anymore. When the mood strikes to play a cd, I always use the digital output of the Jolida.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

The Jolida is semi-rare to see on the used market in this model. Must be a keeper, and there is a mod for it besides, although, may not be wanted or needed. Thanks!