Tube CD players???

gottajam

I've got an ah Tjoeb 99 cdp, which is the original AH cpd,  sitting here.  Replaced it with a solid state CAL Audio Lab cdp.  Used it for years and did a lot of tube rolling.  Liked it so much I even replaced the laser assembly when it went bad. 

Yes, like most gear you swap in and out of a system, you can tell the difference even if you are using a tube pre and amp like I am.

If you want to play with if for awhile I'd be happy to ship it out to you and you pay return shipping after your experiments/listening.

I'm thinking of selling it because I have way too many toys, but if you want to have some fun with it before I do, feel free.

Oh, and just so I'm clear on this, I vastly prefer vinyl to zeros and ones, but tubed cdp's make digital sound much better then it really does.

Tube CD players are nice if that is the way you want to go.  As for the benefits, it is base on the output stage and impedance mismatch.    This may take a lot of trial an error to get the right one and even then the results are up in the air.  Just because it is tube based, in a majority of cases there is no benefit.  But, if you like the look and the sound is OK, why not.

My thoughts are if you are using a digital signal, maximize the digital chain and be happy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

As for the benefits, it is base on the output stage and impedance mismatch.    This may take a lot of trial an error to get the right one and even then the results are up in the air.  Just because it is tube based, in a majority of cases there is no benefit. 

Output stage and impedance mismatch? No benefit?

What are you going on about?

Mike, we are trying to focus the discussion on the tube sound.  Most of that sound is in the amp and preamp more specifically.  We are basically talking about distortion into the final product. First, digital is not bad.  The things that people use to talk about with the digital gitter and other stuff is obsolete unless all your gear is 30 years old.  I use both tubes and analog and they can be darn good whether analog or digital.

Even the argument of digital quality of cd quality vs studio quality is very debatable.  Considering the human population hearing acuity, there is no difference or a least I have not been able to find a solid majority of one over the other.  Sometimes, the weakest link is simply our hearing acuity.

Are the tubes in CDPs used in the output stage as a buffer? They should still be designed with a low output impedance to be able to work well with the low input impedance of SS gear. That's the whole point.

10 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Even the argument of digital quality of cd quality vs studio quality is very debatable.  Considering the human population hearing acuity, there is no difference or a least I have not been able to find a solid majority of one over the other.

I have an acquaintance who owns a NEW Neve audio console/mixing desk in his studio. It is flat out past 200kHz. Digital consoles don't come close, and there are plenty of engineering/studio guys (and gals) who believe that even something that happens up at a 100kHz or higher has an effect on audio within our hearing range.That's one of the reasons Harrison's consoles (while having digital controls) have an analog signal path. While not cheap, it is sometimes easier to get wide bandwidth out of an analog circuit. Of course, I am talking about those who are recording/producing what we end up listening to in our homes. By the time is goes through everything, you (me) may hear no difference at all.

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce that is what I am saying but, I'm different.  I like the look of tube gear and will drop coins quickly for the look.  The look of the system as an effect upon me and holistic in why you have it to a certain point.   I would not hesitate if it is a piece of equipment I want!  The room, gear, and other things all make for a great listening arena.  

Bruce, now I'm listening to my SS gear but, will get up and cut the tube on, ha, ha!  The only reason I don't always listen to the tube system is the remote functionality, lazy but, the SS is also off the hook .lol.  You guys know your stuff.:)

• 4 weeks later...

Boomac (Scott) had an Eastern Electric CDP for a while, eventually changed to something else and shed all his (BAT) tube electronics, I believe.  I liked the sound of his EE.  Oppo is nice, though its in the digital realm -- current models have the advantage of bein universal players with CD and Blu-Ray. However, necessary hookups like TV and cable boxes may degrade their very nice sound (it did in my setup).

Tubes in the circuitry might add a nice tube softness, realism, and clarity, as in the EE.  Magnum Dynalab offered tube output stage options on some of its tuners; I have an "MD 102T" which benefitted from an added tube clarity and realism when I added the tube option.  I'd do it again.