Receipt for my LaScalas

babadono

Thank you @babadono.

With the street number, I can now figure out exactly where the place used to be on Woodward Ave.  I don't even have to write the number down.  It's not taxing to my nearly septuagenarian brain. @ClaudeJ1 Will appreciate this also.

But wait, a few years ago they changed the numbering system on Woodward Ave. due to it being confusing.  As you traveled from Detroit to Pontiac, through Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Bloomfield Hills, the numbers would go up and down as you changed municipalities.  

Now, 1040 N. Woodward is in Birmingham.  

10 hours ago, babadono said:

As promised in another thread earlier today I am going to try to attach a photo of my original Receipt from the High Fidelity Workshop in Royal Oak Michigan

0801172110_Burst01.jpg

Yep, there it is. Especially for @DizRotus

Now multiply that number by 5 or 6 for inflation and you will see that new, improved LaScalas, are roughtly the same price today at about $8,000

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Thank you @babadono.

With the street number, I can now figure out exactly where the place used to be on Woodward Ave.  I don't even have to write the number down.  It's not taxing to my nearly septuagenarian brain. @ClaudeJ1 Will appreciate this also.

But wait, a few years ago they changed the numbering system on Woodward Ave. due to it being confusing.  As you traveled from Detroit to Pontiac, through Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Bloomfield Hills, the numbers would go up and down as you changed municipalities.  

Now, 1040 N. Woodward is in Birmingham.  

I was thinking last night as I posted this, isn't there any historical reference/archive that you can query? The public library? The Chamber of Commerce? I'll bet the "History Detectives" could figure it out:)

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Now multiply that number by 5 or 6 for inflation and you will see that new, improved LaScalas, are roughtly the same price today at about $8,000

inflation calculator

$5,194.36

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

I don't consider glued sawdust

with veneer a improvement...

just cheaper to manufacture...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

inflation calculator

$5,194.36

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

I don't consider glued sawdust

with veneer a improvement...

just cheaper to manufacture...

I was referring to the sound as an improvement, as well as appearance. Some of the most exotic speakers in the world are made with MDF, so while I agree it's a cheaper BASE material, there may be sonic benefits that accompany the economy/profit aspects. Also, if you price veneers and the labor cost of application, it may not be cheaper than cutting Birch Plywood as was done with LaScalas for decades (I watched them do it during my visit at the Hope factory) Even at the price, they are 1/3 the price of audiophile magazine reviewed "competitor" that uses real laminate curved plywood and larger horn drivers. VALUE can mean different things to different people. In some aspects, I don't disagree with what you consider an improvement, but many others feel differently enough to have voted otherwise with their money.

With the advent of great horn subwoofers, tapped or not, A 104 Hz. Short Bass/Midbass Horn of a LaScala and it's derivatives are a more phase coherent alternative to the venrable Khorn. And there is more than nominal charge for "pretty" as proven by the creation of the Belle Klipsch.

If choosing real plywood is your basis, the Peavey FH-1 with a Klipsch K33 woofer makes a cheaper, measurably better alternative to LaScala bass. I have owned over a dozen of those. Simulation, measurements, and listening proved their solidly braced construction of plywood, for a more solid build and the smoother horn expansion made them that way.

• Like 2

"Chain" is probably not the right word.  The Royal Oak store was family owned.  It was probably owned by the same people who owned the Ann Arbor store.  I don't think it was a multi-store chain.

Claude @ClaudeJ1, recalls the owner of the Royal Oak store closing the business to retire, when he couldn't find a buyer.  It was a very small shop that catered to tinkerers, the DIY crowd.  They sold a lot of Dynaco kits and Klipsch decorators.  The turn-key audiophools bought their McIntosh and furniture quality Klipsch from Almas Hi-Fi in Birmingham (pronounced in a faux British accent through clenched teeth).

• 2 years later...
On 8/2/2017 at 12:25 AM, babadono said:

As promised in another thread earlier today I am going to try to attach a photo of my original Receipt from the High Fidelity Workshop in Royal Oak Michigan

Yep, there it is. Especially for @DizRotus

, what a price difference , now they cost 12k$    -------I should have a receipt for my Cornwalls somewhere ------

36 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

, what a price difference , now they cost 12k$    -------I should have a receipt for my Cornwalls somewhere ------

Price is the same, it's your DOLLARS that are worth 6 times LESS.

• Haha 1