My 2 Channel is up & running! Thank You Chris & Cory @ Metropolis Lake Outfitters!

32blownhemi

Thank You Chris for programing my Xilica 4080! If anyones on the fence about doing this? Don't be! And Thank You Cory for getting me the Horns, drivers & the Xilica! Excellent service! It sounds fantastic! And it's only going to get better seeing as how I'm using Apple ITunes with a 20' USB cable for my source! So I'm ready to try HD Tracks & a CD player. Then I need to get the Danley sub hooked up...  I have La Scala I's but screwed & glued 3/4" plywood to the sides. I don't know if the bass sounds better because of this or because of the Xilica but it does. I can really hear the difference playing Eminem. Also the speaker that's on the carpet sounds better than the speaker that isn't so tomorrow I'll hit a carpet store for a carpet remnant. Also moved the large living room table out & put a smaller one in. It just seemed like the table was shielding the sound. What's a good SDCD to get? I'll ask in the CD section...    Bill20170801_224922_resized.thumb.jpg.cee7cce7552decec45303b8c3e430de5.jpg20170801_225009_resized.thumb.jpg.3243b523968aa89b620475e93f0f92cd.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

Nice!!! 

How did you manage to get those amps' to stay on the shelf like that? ;)

JJ

Thank You JJ!  I used those shelves that you see in restaurant storage rooms. Restaurant supply businesses sell them.  My daughters boss gave em to me & I just cut it down from 6' to 26". I have no idea what weight their rated to but I do know I've seen what restaurants stack on them! I was lost as to what to use until I looked in my garage  lol  5982384a81b00_20170802_132151_resized(1).thumb.jpg.1dc7975b6195de8a5f3079f341665cb5.jpg

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Can't tell if you have a good surge protector/power conditioner hooked up there, but if not, with all of that expensive gear, it would be a very worthwhile investment.....

Thank You Jim! Hmm, what is a good surge protector for me to get? I'm using cheap-o ones. I do remember the place I bough one of my mc275's recommending a protector that was like $1000 or so. Is that necessary?   Thanks!   Bill20170802_132220_resized.thumb.jpg.06056c4e9a33698ae0863ac5948b4358.jpg

Is that a C2500 pre amp? If so we run the same pre and amp (I only have one)

Would you be interested in one of these; mine is un-used, batteries need replaced, have box, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Conditioner-Battery-Backup-S15BLK/dp/B000WV1I2Q

Replacement battery pack:  https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Replacement-APC-S15BLK-Conditioner/dp/B00TWZNY4S

But I would just replace the batteries not the pack: http://www.batteryclerk.com/products/apc-s15blk-12v-7ah-ups-battery.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI762Th7i51QIViYizCh1aKwMJEAYYAiABEgLO8fD_BwE

1 hour ago, 32blownhemi said:

Thank You Jim! Hmm, what is a good surge protector for me to get? I'm using cheap-o ones. I do remember the place I bough one of my mc275's recommending a protector that was like $1000 or so. Is that necessary?   Thanks!   Bill20170802_132220_resized.thumb.jpg.06056c4e9a33698ae0863ac5948b4358.jpg

You don't need to spend that much IMO, but you DEFINITELY do need something better than those power strips.  USNRET has what you need.  Very good guy to deal with.

Tubes and power protection. This not a sales pitch just my experience. We lived on an island that had frequent power dips due to salt spray encrusting the power lines. After getting my VRD amps I was terrified each time it dipped or went off..on..off being afraid that if I was not right at hand I would have a hot cycle on the tubes and destroy one / some so I bought the APC and it was pricey but so were my tubes.

After moving into a new place with steady power I still used the APC but then the batteries died after about 3-5 years. I was going to replace the batteries with universals just never got a round tuit. In this setup I have no room for it so I live dangerously.

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Tubes and power protection. This not a sales pitch just my experience. We lived on an island that had frequent power dips due to salt spray encrusting the power lines. After getting my VRD amps I was terrified each time it dipped or went off..on..off being afraid that if I was not right at hand I would have a hot cycle on the tubes and destroy one / some so I bought the APC and it was pricey but so were my tubes.

After moving into a new place with steady power I still used the APC but then the batteries died after about 3-5 years. I was going to replace the batteries with universals just never got a round tuit. In this setup I have no room for it so I live dangerously.

Thank you for the warning!  Guess I'm not out of the 'rabbit hole' yet? Lol...  How much do you want for it? I know I need some kind of 'surge protection' just confused on what.  Bill

19 minutes ago, 32blownhemi said:

Thank you for the warning!  Guess I'm not out of the 'rabbit hole' yet? Lol...  How much do you want for it? I know I need some kind of 'surge protection' just confused on what.  Bill

Bill, as usual I screwed this up. Mine is the APC S20Blk. If you are interested we can take it to PM; I'll check the used worth as I am sure you will. Shipping w/o battery weight probably covers a lot on shipping. That photo or my skills suk; there are no spots.

20170802_192428[1].jpg

13 minutes ago, 32blownhemi said:

Mike, the above link isn't working. Yes, let me know in a PM what your looking to get for it. I know I need the surge protection but with what I have don't think I need a battery backup. Or do I?  Thank You!  Bill

Check the post above with photo before I screwed it up. I went with battery back up with a more expensive unit to carry the load and give tube protection quickly so that they would not cycle off and on. I had problems finding a surge protector that would latch OFF if voltage dropped and then require a MANUAL ON when proper power was available; except for multi-thousand dollar units they would shutdown and then immediately power back up even if power outage was in seconds or minutes.  I went with the APC so that the batteries would continue to power and I would go do a proper, in order shutdown and allow the tubes to cool before I restored power.

Edit: anyone with an UPS and expensive battery packs check this out for a more cost effective route

On 8/2/2017 at 2:34 AM, 32blownhemi said:

Also the speaker that's on the carpet sounds better than the speaker that isn't so tomorrow I'll hit a carpet store for a carpet remnant. Also moved the large living room table out & put a smaller one in. It just seemed like the table was shielding the sound.

How is the sound now out of the right JubScala?

I'm actually amazed Chris! I adjusted the balance to play louder out of the right speaker so the music sounded as loud out of both speakers. Then I put carpet under the speaker & the sound got louder out of the right speaker. And then I put carpet on the wall beside the speaker & Wow! I had to set the balance back to even! Not only louder but clearer or cleaner. In fact, the right speaker just might sound better then the left speaker! There's no WAF around here so I'm wondering if I should hang carpet beside the left speaker?!  Lol... A friend of mine walked into my house the other day & said "Bill, as bad as your hearing is I don't see how a good stereo is going to matter". Hmm, a year or so ago I got fitted & tested for a hearing aid but didn't get it. So I called 'em & set up an appointment for next Wednesday! I'm looking forward to the high notes getting even better! Is there a bottom to the 'Rabbit Hole'  Lol20170804_160650_resized.jpg.27ce8146b5baa48432a7a2d840e1894a.jpg 

• Like 1