My 2 Channel is up & running! Thank You Chris & Cory @ Metropolis Lake Outfitters!

32blownhemi

Bill, 

First, it's looking nice!  Good stuff going on there.

Second, if you are concerned, you can take the two upper panels on the Danley and flip them so the input jack will be hidden on the back and the flat panel will be on the front.

I don't want to hide that there will be some gymnastics involved because one of the panels would have to be slid THROUGH the opening (the one with the jack on it) unless you wanted to remove the wires which is even larger pain in the neck.

Just wanted you to know that you can hide the input wire to the backside if you want to go through the effort.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 3:34 AM, 32blownhemi said:

I have La Scala I's but screwed & glued 3/4" plywood to the sides. I don't know if the bass sounds better because of this or because of the Xilica but it does

You might have the double fix.  I think the 3/4" would have fixed your issues...  and I think Roy has a PEQ in there that would also fix those issues.

That brings up a question to me that perhaps someone can answer...

Since he's got the 3/4" stiffening on the side and (presumably) there is the -7db PEQ at 148Hz in there....  if the PEQ were taken out, would that help bring back some sound for them that he could use since the plywood is stiffening that frequency? 

Or am I misunderstanding something here?

You might wind up attenuating a little more in order to compensate for stiffer bass bin side walls since the stiffening removes some of the parasitic losses. 

Or you can just move them a little farther away from the walls...

Chris

We keep losing him....  has he commented yet on how it sounds in an enjoyment way verses "this one sounds better on the carpet" way?

I've missed it if he has.

Then again, I'm guessing we can surmise why we keep losing him.  He's either enjoying the sound or it might be those scantily clad beach gals that he was once talking about... :emotion-21: :wub: 

Here I am! I've got some pretty bad sleep habits as in bed at 4am, morning coffee at 4 pm... Plus, I have to admit, two night in a row I was hanging out with scantly clad bikini girls ;)  Although both of them are platonic relationships only :(   Lol...   I'm totally blow away with my stereo. It sounds so killer, it's unbelievable! Moved my iTunes songs to Amarra & OMG! Billie Jean & Hotel California & a few others are unbelievable! It's sounds like Michael & the Eagles are in my living room! But, I can hear a huge difference in bad recordings. I like 60's rock & roll a lot my favorite stuff doesn't sound better... Chris, I moved the right speaker dead center between the side wall & the wall that the tv & stereo are agains't. Or should I move it closer to the wall that the stereo's agains't?  

6 hours ago, 32blownhemi said:

Chris, I moved the right speaker dead center between the side wall & the wall that the tv & stereo are agains't. Or should I move it closer to the wall that the stereo's agains't?  

I'd try both one place and listen, then move it to the next place, until you find one that sounds better.  You'll find the right place pretty rapidly.

In general, the rule of thumb would be to keep both JubScalas about the same distance from the walls in terms of surface area that they're close to.  It may be that the visual check of this rule of thumb isn't as close to the listening performance of what you hear.  Experiment and move things around if you've got a little time.

Chris

• Like 1

Thank You Chris! The way the rooms set up it would be tough to have both speakers the same distance from the walls. Or does it work to have, lets say, one speaker 12 feet from me & the other one 18 feet & just adjust the balance to sound even? Or what about false corners? Like they do on Klipschcorn's. I've plenty of time. I'll experiment with it when I get up later...   Thanks!    Bill

1 minute ago, 32blownhemi said:

Thank You Chris! The way the rooms set up it would be tough to have both speakers the same distance from the walls. Or does it work to have, lets say, one speaker 12 feet from me & the other one 18 feet & just adjust the balance to sound even? Or what about false corners? Like they do on Klipschcorn's. I've plenty of time. I'll experiment with it when I get up later...   Thanks!    Bill

Using a bookcase as a backstop I've found helps.  A false corner would work even better but is more invasive of the room's available floor space.

In two channel, it's important to have the two loudspeakers the same distance from your listening position, but there is more latitude if you use an AVR or AVP to correct the time delays and that relative loudness of the two channels, since about 90% of the purpose of the AVR/AVP is to do that for you.  In general though for two channel, I'd recommend equal distances.

Chris

• Like 1

Ok, I'll keep them the same distance. You know I think I'll set a designated stereo listening chair dead center in the room. Then I can put both speakers equal distance from the walls & also have my listening chair equal distance from the speakers. But, I think I might be splitting hairs cuz it already sounds killer. I'm certainly not a speaker expert but I do know that my speakers sound a lot better than the one's that I listened to at two different McIntosh dealers. Both places said "listen to these you won't believe how good they sound". One place said the speakers were $18 G's & the others were somewhere in the $20 G range. Don't remember the exact price, they were to far out of my budget to even matter... Maybe not so much in bass but the mid's & highs in those speaker weren't even close to my Jubescala's...     Bill

• Like 1

Oh, I just saw where you said false corners would be best. Hmm, no WAF around here! And I've got quite a bit of left over 3/4" plywood from where I braced the bins. What dimensions would you make the corners?  I'd think the corners could be quite a bit smaller than the ones for the Klipschcorns...  Bill

Yes, I'd design them to be the height of the bass bin and extend a foot or two along the side walls out in front of the bin. 

You can alternatively just attach flares at the front of the bass bin on the two side walls of about 30-45 degrees from the centerline and perhaps a foot or two in length.  You already get bass bin extension from the floor and a partial flat baffle effect from the K-402 horn resting on top. 

• Like 1

So Bill....  how would you put these up against your LaScalas prior to the change?

Is the Danley still sitting dormant?

That poor box is going to get a complex....  it keeps getting bought with great excitement, only to be left standing alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

So Bill....  how would you put these up against your LaScalas prior to the change?

Is the Danley still sitting dormant?

That poor box is going to get a complex....  it keeps getting bought with great excitement, only to be left standing alone.

OMG Richard, an unbelievable difference! On a 1-10 scale I'd put the Scala's with the 402 horns at a 10... The stock Scala's? A 4 or less... I'm hearing instruments in songs that I didn't even realize were there   Lol... Next time I go by the McIntosh dealer I'll see what he played for me. I'm curious cuz they cost many times what I have in mine. And mine sound much better...  I know, Danley is a little upset. She's thinks I don't like her because of her weight. After all 285 pounds! But I'm trying to reassure her I judge more on personality than weight... On a more serious note, a guy on the forum who lives locally said he'd help me hook her up. So I need to get ahold of him... And thanks for the tip on hiding her wires but I don't want her to get a complex & think I'm ashamed of her. Last time I told a GF to go change into something that didn't show her legs she left me   Lol...   Thanks!   Bill