Rear speaker placement *manically laughs*

supercooldude

Howdy Howdy Howdy!

I have been getting absolutely fabulous advice on this forum, and have had great pleasure meeting and doing business with people from here!! 

So lets keep it going!

So, rear speakers:

Lets take a look at the diagram and talk about where the side speakers should go.  The pig problem is fitting what I want, which at the moment the dream would be the RS-62s, I have also been suggested the rp-250s.... here are the questions:

1.  The big question: If I am getting pyramid shaped rears/sides do I need all four of them to be that shape?

2.  The big question: Notice that the three placement choices do not really line up with each other on the sides, A1 to B1 and A3 to B3, however A2 and B2 line up across from one another.  Any suggestions on that?  Can side be put a spots where the arent directly across from their counter part?

3. The big question (did I say that already??): Any other suggestions for speakers etc?  Notice the "B Wall" doesnt have a corner for my to put something big on the floor so I would rather have everything on the wall if possible.

Thanks everyone!  This is sooooo much FUN!

B Wall.jpg

A Wall.jpg

Basement Speaker Layout.jpg

• Moderators
21 hours ago, supercooldude said:

The pig problem is fitting what I want, which at the moment the dream would be the RS-62s

If that's your dream, you might not ever be satisfied with anything less.  I have owned RS-52, RS-62 and RS-62ii.  The RS-52 have no problems at all keeping up with the RF-83 / RC-64. I ran that combo for quite some time until I came across a good deal on a pair of RS-62, then an even better deal on (4) RS-62ii.  There is zero difference in sound between RS-62 and RS-62ii...only difference is triangular grill vs 1/2 round grill.  The RS-62 do sound bigger than the RS-52 but it's not night an day difference.  The RS-52 might save you some real estate (if you need it).

If I am getting pyramid shaped rears/sides do I need all four of them to be that shape?

No, you could get RS for the side surrounds and even keep your inwalls for your surround back (if they sound good).

Notice that the three placement choices do not really line up with each other on the sides, A1 to B1 and A3 to B3, however A2 and B2 line up across from one another.  Any suggestions on that?  Can side be put a spots where the arent directly across from their counter part?

IMO, I feel that A3 and B3 are the best choice for side surrounds (although A3 isn't ideal being so close to the back wall).  I would also choose to move them 2-3' above your ears when sitting on your couch.  Mounting them up high near the ceiling is not ideal at all (trust me from experience). 

I too had challenges as I had a double door that was in the way on one wall and a double sliding glass door that was in the way.  You can see I originally ran wiring near the ceiling on the side walls (I just noticed I have one black plate on left wall and red plate on right wall LOL).  I'm not sure I hear the surround back speakers but it was definitely a great idea to have a custom mount for the right side surround (one hanging in front of the curtain).  I would have preferred to have mounted them even lower but people would run into the one as they entered the room.  It's barely level with the top of my head now.

Home-Theater-Rear-Wall.jpg

Youthman, firstly I cannot thank you enough for all your help.  THis has been a fantastic experience.

Okay let me roll back on saying rs-62s was a "dream", because I only found out about them 2 weeks ago lol.

Here are the choices

A.  This Sides:

i.  RS-52 

ii.  RS-62 (probably too big)

iii.  RP-250s (can get a great deal on brand new ones right away $275 each)

B.  The Rears

i.  I was just looking through in wall speakers, anyone care to make a few suggestions?  

The one that caught my eye was the R-5650s ii

• Moderators

Glad to help.

If you are not dead set on having RS-62, the RS-52 or RP-250s will work just fine.  Although I have not heard any of the Reference Premiere Speakers, they seem to be well received by those that have purchased them. 

I have no experience with inwalls.  Unfortunately, your room and mine are setup with seating against the back wall (in my room it's the 2nd row).  If at all possible, I would encourage you to move the seating foward to directly beside your side surrounds or no more than 10 degrees in front of them.

This diagram should help

509tweak.dolby7.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Absolutely.  Some guys like to use wide dispersion on the sides and then direct radiating (like bookshelf or inwalls) for the back surrounds.  I have always had (4) wide dispersion speakers for surrounds and they sound great to me.

Two comments --

1) Near ceiling placement is problematic for several reasons, but the gist is, you should mount them much lower than you are showing.  I know at first it seems like it may screw up the room, but it won't.  They can be blended into the furnishings on the wall but lower...preferably from just above ear height to no more than a couple feet above ear height...and preferably at least a foo from the ceiling.  This is not even as important as --

2) the couch at the back wall needs to come forward.  Everything...the fronts, the surrounds, the bass, the calibration, will be tremendously improved with the couch 2 feet off the back wall.  1 foot is OK, 3 feet is better, but on that back wall will cause enough problems you won't get what you hope for out of it.  

LOL that's a ghostbusters pack on the wall, isn't it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Absolutely.  Some guys like to use wide dispersion on the sides and then direct radiating (like bookshelf or inwalls) for the back surrounds.  I have always had (4) wide dispersion speakers for surrounds and they sound great to me.

Okay cool, its those side walls that are the problem.  This will be the next step I suppose.  I have been staring at those walls all day today....

2 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Two comments --

1) Near ceiling placement is problematic for several reasons, but the gist is, you should mount them much lower than you are showing.  I know at first it seems like it may screw up the room, but it won't.  They can be blended into the furnishings on the wall but lower...preferably from just above ear height to no more than a couple feet above ear height...and preferably at least a foo from the ceiling.  This is not even as important as --

Follow up question:  Would the side speakers, if placed near the ceiling, were tilted down towards the sweet spot, would that help?  I remember hearing thats called "flying" the speakers.  Like at a concert, or a broadway show or even in school auditoriums.

2) the couch at the back wall needs to come forward.  Everything...the fronts, the surrounds, the bass, the calibration, will be tremendously improved with the couch 2 feet off the back wall.  1 foot is OK, 3 feet is better, but on that back wall will cause enough problems you won't get what you hope for out of it.  

I wish it could come forward, maybe I will move it there when we play movies.  I calibrated everything to the center of the room where I could put our fancy bean bag and have the best seat in the house.  Also, won't I be WAY too close to the screen?  Well I guess not , if thats where I put the bean bag.  I haven't actually tested it out that way yet...its been a crazy few weeks.

LOL that's a ghostbusters pack on the wall, isn't it?

Yup.  Built it myself :) Halloween is a fun time around our house...

Too close only if the l and r fronts cant both reach you directly....otherwise its ok.  Sitting on a bean bag lowers you down even further re surrounds.  Try them on stands or boxes to hear the differences.  Transformers or even better....Gravitys first 20min is a great test of surround positioning.  It is so pinpoint in surround it will tell u right away if the setup works well.   Twister demos the surround sweep nicely too.  

• Like 1

Your best bet is to follow the Dolby specs as closely as possible to get the best sound.  Proper placement is important and Robo has some good tips.  If you can't move your couch off the wall, you might want to consider just staying with a 5.1 or 5.2 system.  I have my couch about a foot off the back wall.  I tried a sixth channel behind the couch but I didn't like it to much.  I prefer the 5.1 but setting it up properly and adding some sound dampening material to catch the first reflection points made my system sound exponentially better.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loudnobnoxious said:

Your best bet is to follow the Dolby specs as closely as possible to get the best sound.  Proper placement is important and Robo has some good tips.  If you can't move your couch off the wall, you might want to consider just staying with a 5.1 or 5.2 system.  I have my couch about a foot off the back wall.  I tried a sixth channel behind the couch but I didn't like it to much.  I prefer the 5.1 but setting it up properly and adding some sound dampening material to catch the first reflection points made my system sound exponentially better.  

If i offered to ship 2 acoustic panels to every Klipsch member in the color they prefer for free and if they dont like them return them. ...i think 98% would keep them.   They are that important.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

If i offered to ship 2 acoustic panels to every Klipsch member in the color they prefer for free and if they dont like them return them. ...i think 98% would keep them.   They are that important.

I wouldn't know what to do with them if you gave them to me lol.  Where would I put them?  

13 hours ago, Loudnobnoxious said:

Hmmm, so you think dump the very back wall speakers and readjust the sides?  At the this point I barely ever here the backs or sides anyways.  Its very frustrating

13 hours ago, Loudnobnoxious said:

And the more I look at my walls the more i think "this is impossible!"