Rear speaker placement *manically laughs*

supercooldude

4 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I have found the transformer movies to have great surround.  twister excellent still gravity is the ultimate test.  top gun has many goodflybys

I will try gravity again.  The first 20 minutes I need to map out, because the fronts were spot on but the rears weren't getting the action I was expecting.

4 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

part of dynamic eq boosts the surrounds at lower volumes.  since u rarily listen that loud i was suggesting bumping up the surrounds a db or 2 and seeing if it sounds bette

Okay I will bump them up a lil bit (I understood that part :D ).  Im not totally sure what dynamic eq is.  Is that the receiver lowering the surrounds? or the mix?

3 hours ago, Youthman said:

Yes, no need to toe in the surrounds.  They are meant to be mounted flush on the wall. They are designed to disperse the sound by nature.  You aren't trying to "aim" them towards your listening position like you do with your mains.

This good? :) 

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

perfect!

google audyssey dynamic eq for a good explanation.  in short at volumes below reference we hear sound differently than at reference.  bass tends to be too low and surrounds can be hard to hear.  DEQ is a solution that maps how we hear and augments the bass and surrounds as needed to sound "right."  nothing makes surrounds sound better at say -30 volume.  

26 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

google audyssey dynamic eq for a good explanation.  in short at volumes below reference we hear sound differently than at reference.  bass tends to be too low and surrounds can be hard to hear.  DEQ is a solution that maps how we hear and augments the bass and surrounds as needed to sound "right."  nothing makes surrounds sound better at say -30 volume.  

I hope I'm not driving you nuts but I have a few more questions :)

What volume is considered "at reference"?

So how do I get DEQ?  Is it my receiver?  Or an added equalizer? Pre Amps (I have no idea what those are I have just heard the term a lot lol)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

did u fix and paint the wall or cover w posters?  either way looks great!

I just took stuff off of one wall and covered the holes in the wall.  I am seriously considering getting soundproofing done, already have 3 quotes, because I really want to be able to enjoy all this without worrying about the neighbors.

27 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

buy gravity blu ray on amazon its under 10bucks usually

I bought it on iTunes.

1 hour ago, supercooldude said:

I hope I'm not driving you nuts but I have a few more questions :)

What volume is considered "at reference"?

So how do I get DEQ?  Is it my receiver?  Or an added equalizer? Pre Amps (I have no idea what those are I have just heard the term a lot lol)

Reference is a theater standard originally created by Lucas and the THX team.  

105db peaks and 85db white noise matched levels to each channel

115db peak for lfe

at home calibration is 75db for reference with 30db or 105db peaks

115db for lfe

most avrs count down from reference

0  is reference

-20 is 20db below reference

DEQ engages to add higher output to bass and surrounds at volumes below reference

as volume gets lower more bass and surrounds are added to mimic the distribution of sound you would hear at reference

at low volume without deq u may not hear much bass or surrounds.  using sophisticated algorithms the mfgs have created dynamic eq to adjust so any volume sounds good not just reference which is often too loud

• Like 1

DEQ is a feature on many avrs u need to check to see which have it.

my denon has it....all speakers use deq in that setup

my sony does not.  i have a external amp with dsp for my subs there which let me create my own deq in the amp for the subs!

i cannot create a deq for surrounds though they are using the avr

i love deq personally.  i beieve yamaha has it too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supercooldude said:

I just took stuff off of one wall and covered the holes in the wall.  I am seriously considering getting soundproofing done, already have 3 quotes, because I really want to be able to enjoy all this without worrying about the neighbors.

I bought it on iTunes.

cool u seem to know bldg and crafting but just a reminder soundproofing is trying to prevent neighbors from hearing....acoustic treatment is for improving in room sound.  soundproofing can be difficult and expensive make sure they address how the would handle bass tones as it is very hard to do.  man your setup is going to kick azz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Reference is a theater standard originally created by Lucas and the THX team.  

105db peaks and 85db white noise matched levels to each channel

115db peak for lfe

at home calibration is 75db for reference with 30db or 105db peaks

115db for lfe

most avrs count down from reference

0  is reference

-20 is 20db below reference

DEQ engages to add higher output to bass and surrounds at volumes below reference

as volume gets lower more bass and surrounds are added to mimic the distribution of sound you would hear at reference

at low volume without deq u may not hear much bass or surrounds.  using sophisticated algorithms the mfgs have created dynamic eq to adjust so any volume sounds good not just reference which is often too loud

So I have a great deal on a Marantz - 7002 receiver and a Marantz MM-9000 --5 -channel power amplifier.  I have a feeling that will be a big upgrade from my Yamaha RX-V675 but I really need to hear you guys opinion.  I would have no clue why I would need the amplifier....