Rear speaker placement *manically laughs*

supercooldude

25 minutes ago, supercooldude said:

Hmmm, so you think dump the very back wall speakers and readjust the sides?  At the this point I barely ever here the backs or sides anyways.  Its very frustrating

This is that height and couch being close to the wall.

for testing purposes i would ignore how the room looks for a few days while testing couch and speaker positions.

i myself put the surrounds on boxes and vary the height and position forward and back and honestly in a few hours you can find "the" spot or spots for them.  then you decide how and if you can reallymake that work.  Guessing will not get you to surround nirvana 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboKlipsch said:

This is that height and couch being close to the wall.

for testing purposes i would ignore how the room looks for a few days while testing couch and speaker positions.

i myself put the surrounds on boxes and vary the height and position forward and back and honestly in a few hours you can find "the" spot or spots for them.  then you decide how and if you can reallymake that work.  Guessing will not get you to surround nirvana 

OK, I think I can do that!  The problem will be when I find the perfect spot and its half on a door and half on a wall.  Now to order those surround speakers.....

3 minutes ago, supercooldude said:

I wish I knew how to do that.  Lol

i could walk you through it easily.

first step is placement....decide where u can fit the surrounds and couch and optimize that first.

trust me try some different positions you will get a huge smile on your face as u find better spots.

the couch is more important here than the surrounds but both are important.

a few panels will then vastly improve dialog and clarity.

then calibration to dial it all in....1 2 3 ur done.

• Like 1

Just now, supercooldude said:

OK, I think I can do that!  The problem will be when I find the perfect spot and its half on a door and half on a wall.  Now to order those surround speakers.....

thats fine...if u determine that there is a solution or a compromise that will still be close if not the same

pretend for a moment u are single and have nobody ever coming over.  find the spots then figure how to work it out in reality...but start by knowing what u really want layoutwise

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboKlipsch said:

thats fine...if u determine that there is a solution or a compromise that will still be close if not the same

pretend for a moment u are single and have nobody ever coming over.  find the spots then figure how to work it out in reality...but start by knowing what u really want layoutwise

"Pretend for a moment you are single" YESSIR!! 

3 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

i could walk you through it easily.

first step is placement....decide where u can fit the surrounds and couch and optimize that first.

trust me try some different positions you will get a huge smile on your face as u find better spots.

the couch is more important here than the surrounds but both are important.

a few panels will then vastly improve dialog and clarity.

then calibration to dial it all in....1 2 3 ur done.

I am going to take you up on that offer mr.!

I should just order the 2 250s?  Forget about the back wall for the time being?

11 minutes ago, supercooldude said:

I wish I knew how to do that.  Lol

Sit in the main listening position and have someone walk along the side walls with a mirror.  Where you see the speaker from your listening position is your first reflection points.  You also have one behind you.  For me the rear one was the biggest one.  I made a two inch panel insulation panel and the difference was night and day.  I also have about 8 to 12 inches between the couch and wall.  It depends on how much the kids are feeling rambunctious.  Just from the main menu of a few movies I put on the test things out, I was hearing things, I never heard again.  I added one side panel, because the second side panel would be where my stair banisters are.  They act as a difusor. 

• Like 1

my goal would be 7.1 and nothing less.

i would not order anything i cant return until im sure what i want

heres the gist.  move that couch forward until it is parallel to or slightly in front of the side surrounds.  try that.  i would expect the improvement to be so big you wont even want to bother will exact back surround placement.  your layout for 7.1 is almost spot on already.  its the listening position that causes everything to be off

we are talking $0 ti fix this cool

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loudnobnoxious said:

Sit in the main listening position and have someone walk along the side walls with a mirror.  Where you see the speaker from your listening position is your first reflection points.  You also have one behind you.  For me the rear one was the biggest one.  I made a two inch panel insulation panel and the difference was night and day.  I also have about 8 to 12 inches between the couch and wall.  It depends on how much the kids are feeling rambunctious.  Just from the main menu of a few movies I put on the test things out, I was hearing things, I never heard again.  I added one side panel, because the second side panel would be where my stair banisters are.  They act as a difusor. 

Ok, will do.  I think I understand......

2 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

heres the gist.  move that couch forward until it is parallel to or slightly in front of the side surrounds.  try that.  i would expect the improvement to be so big you wont even want to bother will exact back surround placement.  your layout for 7.1 is almost spot on already.  its the listening position that causes everything to be off

we are talking $0 ti fix this loud!

OK!  But those tiny bose side speakers are right up on at the ceiling...they need to come down?

3 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

we are talking $0 ti fix this cool

OK so I made a quick mock up of a RP-250s, its not pretty but it gives me the (very) rough dimensions of what it would feel like in any particular space.  And with that I have decided to do something rather unorthodox...

So you see that bookshelf isn't merely a bookshelf...

And I was thinking I could easily make a place to mount the speaker, while running the wire so the door could still open and close, this would allow me to have both speajers directly across from one another.  Its easy enough to pull the couch forward a foot while watching a movie and then putting it back.

PS I have stopped buying blu rays and just buy everything on iTunes now....

What do you think???

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

• Like 1

I would experiment with moving the couch forward and listening.  1 foot may not be enough.  Establish where u need the seats to be then the rest will fall in line.  What in wall surrounds do you have now?  My first test position would be couch forward enough that the side surrounds are about 6inches to a foot behind my ears.    Mock up looks great and is a good spot.  Needs to be above your ears so it doesnt blast someone right in line with it.  Bose is too high BUT when you move forward i bet they begin to come into play.  Get the bose sounding right position wise then replace with rps or rbs

Wait a false door...youre Batman?  Arent u.  Do i see a cape in there

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supercooldude said:

OK!  But those tiny bose side speakers are right up on at the ceiling...they need to come down?

Yes. They need to come down.  Where you put the cardboard cutout is a good place to experiment with but like Robo said, try them and then move them a little.  Generally 90-110 degrees from the listening position.  Generally it's recommended they be 2-3 ft above your ears when sitting.  Not bashing Bose because this is a Klipsch forum, because there are many people here who mix in other brands with Klipsch, but Bose is generally not regarded very highly by the audiophile community.  If you like them great, but around here or places like AVSforum, they'll tell you Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.  They give you a lot of highs but not much mids.  Plus they're designed to work with Bose only equipment and a strong A/V receiver can fry them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loudnobnoxious said:

Yes. They need to come down.  Where you put the cardboard cutout is a good place to experiment with but like Robo said, try them and then move them a little.  Generally 90-110 degrees from the listening position.  Generally it's recommended they be 2-3 ft above your ears when sitting.  Not bashing Bose because this is a Klipsch forum, because there are many people here who mix in other brands with Klipsch, but Bose is generally not regarded very highly by the audiophile community.  If you like them great, but around here or places like AVSforum, they'll tell you Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.  They give you a lot of highs but not much mids.  Plus they're designed to work with Bose only equipment and a strong A/V receiver can fry them. 

I don't even remember where I got those Bose from.  I am not a fan.  they were just small and all I had.  They are going bye bye

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

A2 b2 are roughly the spots for sides imo your mock ups make more sense now...and that position may work well too

I am going to rework the diagram of my basement again.  Basically it would be B3 and inbetween A2 and A3.  Thats about all I can do.

My daughter and I watched Insidious today with the couch moved about a foot and a half forward.  There was definitely a difference but those tiny bose speakers aren't much to work with.

The bose should be unmounted and tested lower down.  Ive used bose and surethey are not Klipsch.  But rhey can keep up for testing purposes.  Use the bose to find position then buy the rps and its golden.  Rear surrounds are ok...in wall precludes tilting them down but rears will be ok like this.  The sides will be amazing with them lower and the couch forward.   I liked Insidious a lot good scares classic style 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Ok wait....are the in walls the back surrounds?  If so this is gonna work out great.  I was confused looking at the pictures

Yeah they are in the walls...they are some inexpensive polks I could afford at the time.  They are definitely too high.  I was think if I should replace the inwalls with R-5650s ii, and have the sides be RP-250s but I was told the timbre wont match so well.

What do I do? lol