New to forum, am I doing it right?

NickNick11

Hey guys and gals! So, I'm fairly new into the home theatre game. Recently, klipsch had a 50% off sale on their r26f towers (i know not the best, but a bargain nonetheless) so I snagged two of those and a 10"sw. I also have a Sony strdh770 7.2 receiver. Now, my question is... will an rp-440c be a good bang-for-buck (literally) option for a center, as I just ordered one off Amazon, and will the receiver be able to cope with the power. I've read multiple threads about wattage and most say contradicting things and I just ended up confusing myself to be honest.. I also wanted to know about speaker settings, like large vs small... which Hz to use etc.. etc.. Let me know your thoughts on this setup, thanks!

Edited by NickNick11
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forum. I think @DizRotus is correct as later this evening you should get more feedback from the more knowledgeable HT folks.

For me, I have an RF3 based system with the Yamaha receiver subwoofer crossover set to 50 Hz and the speakers set to small. I recommend 2 subwoofers, learned that on this forum, or more and found this to sound good with movies and music. With 2 subwoofers you don't have just one that has to work overtime especially during movie effects. 

I am not sure about your question on rp-440c's as I have not heard them. Good luck and glad you are here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickNick11 said:

Hey guys and gals! So, I'm fairly new into the home theatre game. Recently, klipsch had a 50% off sale on their r26f towers (i know not the best, but a bargain nonetheless) so I snagged two of those and a 10"sw. I also have a Sony strdh770 7.2 receiver. Now, my question is... will an rp-440c be a good bang-for-buck (literally) option for a center, as I just ordered one off Amazon, and will the receiver be able to cope with the power. I've read multiple threads about wattage and most say contradicting things and I just ended up confusing myself to be honest.. I also wanted to know about speaker settings, like large vs small... which Hz to use etc.. etc.. Let me know your thoughts on this setup, thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I had a similar starting setup.

AVR is plenty strong, Klispch doesn't need much.

Those numbers are just the rated wattage i.e. what they are capable of 

440C is a great center, much better than the R25C that would have matched the 26fs.  

If it's not a big price bump, I would grab a 450C personally, but would be very happy with a 440C also. 

With a sub the fronts should almost always be set to small, and then that let's the sub handle everything from the crossover down.

The crossover can be set to a lot of different Hz but I think you will find -- listening -- that either 80 or 100hz will be best, possibly even 120hz.

Some people, especially friends i know that love rock music, will run their fronts LARGE (full range) and the sub.  There's a choice on the menu for this.

WIth one sub there is a possibility you will like this better.  

Setting up a sub is very different if you set the fronts to large or small.  

Where you place it, how high to set the gain, and even the sub crossover are different  

Listen, enjoy, and your ears are the ultimate judge.  Enjoy the speakers.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Welcome to the forum!

I had a similar starting setup.

AVR is plenty strong, Klispch doesn't need much.

Those numbers are just the rated wattage i.e. what they are capable of 

440C is a great center, much better than the R25C that would have matched the 26fs.  

If it's not a big price bump, I would grab a 450C personally, but would be very happy with a 440C also. 

With a sub the fronts should almost always be set to small, and then that let's the sub handle everything from the crossover down.

The crossover can be set to a lot of different Hz but I think you will find -- listening -- that either 80 or 100hz will be best, possibly even 120hz.

Some people, especially friends i know that love rock music, will run their fronts LARGE (full range) and the sub.  There's a choice on the menu for this.

WIth one sub there is a possibility you will like this better.  

Setting up a sub is very different if you set the fronts to large or small.  

Where you place it, how high to set the gain, and even the sub crossover are different  

Listen, enjoy, and your ears are the ultimate judge.  Enjoy the speakers.  

Thanks for the input! The rp440c I just bought was only 350 on amazon, compared to the 450c which was 520 cheapest I saw. Right now I have the fronts set to large at 120hz. Trouble is, I don't know enough to know what any of that means lol. It says in the receiver manual to keep the fronts set to large, but almost everything I've read from other people say to put them small.

Cool don't upgrade for that price difference, the 440C will be awesome.

Crossover just means....where do the speakers trade off duties with each other?  When does the subwoofer stop playing and give up the job to the main speakers?  120hz.

The room is the limiting factor in almost every home setup, the room makes the speakers sound really bad, unless care is taken.

Lots of people try and upgrade their speakers because their rooms sound bad.

The subwoofer is free to roam around the room and make the low end sound as good as possible in a given room.

So placing the sub is really a matter of where it sounds best (hopefully, assuming you have flexibility).  A test tone should sound consistent without a lot of swings up and down in volume...in that main seat, and if you're lucky, in the seats left and right too.  THAT is the right spot for the sub.

So now the sub is placed.  How do you know where to cross that sub over with the mains?  Well, it should be where it sounds best!  So, set it to 80hz, play a test tone, see if it sounds consistent.  Try 100hz.  Then try music you know.   "best" is usually "consistent" in the most basic setup terms (imo).  

Set the fronts to small, the subwoofer crossover frequency knob on the back all the way up to max (so the AVR controls it), and experiment.

It's fun and cool to find better spots for the front speakers and the subwoofer.  The sub is really key, find that spot and you'll be in HT heaven. 

• Like 1