Heresy?

zackolesouth

Here is the thing matching the output tap impedance with the loudspeaker impedance will maximize current transfer from the amplifier to the loudspeaker. That said impedance shifts up or down  some won't make a huge difference remember your speakers impedance shifts all over the place with frequency and to a much greater degree than the tap values offered on your output transformer. Multi tap transformers as a consumer compromise. One of the problems is that if you use let say the four ohm tap of a 4 - 8 - 16 ohm output transformer then most of the winding of your transformer secondary is not loaded it is simply flapping in the breeze. I have found that loading the full secondary almost always sounds better (this is why multi taps are a compromise). as I said the difference in current delivery under normal listening make very little to no difference so far as the amount of power delivered but loading the full secondary can in some cases make a very big difference to the sound quality. You can run on any tap you like give a try ad go with the tap that sounds best to you. If you cant tell then simply match the tap which is closet to the stated impedance of your loudspeakers but your ears should tell you which is best.

Here is the thing matching the output tap impedance with the loudspeaker impedance will maximize current transfer from the amplifier to the loudspeaker. That said impedance shifts up won't make a huge difference remember your speakers impedance shifts all over the place with frequency and to a much greater degree than the tap values offered on your output transformer. Multi tap transformers as a consumer compromise. One of the problems is that if you use let say the four ohm tap of a 4 - 8 - 16 ohm output transformer then most of the winding of your transformer secondary is not loaded it is simply flapping in the breeze. I have found that loading the full secondary almost always sounds better (this is why multi taps are a compromise). as I said the difference in current delivery under normal listening make very little to no difference so far as the amount of power delivered but loading the full secondary can in some cases make a very big difference to the sound quality. You can run on any tap you like give a try ad go with the tap that sounds best to you. If you cant tell then simply match the tap which is closet to the stated impedance of your loudspeakers but your ears should tell you which is best.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't possibly hurt the speakers.  The taps are to protect the AMP.  Here is the published impedance curve of the Heresy One.  This would apply to all with a Type E crossover.  Sixteen ohms is a good choice.

Impedance of Klipsch Heresy.jpg

• 7 months later...