Speaker Pairing for 5.1

DanSoloRocker

Hi. I've got a Denon AVR-X4000 setup with a pair of RB-81's as fronts and a pair of RP-160M's as surrounds. I don't have a center speaker as I'm not sure what to use. Should I be using a different setup like RB-61's or RB-51's? I'm using a Polk PS10W as the sub. Should that be different too? So far I'm less than impressed with the current setup.

DUROCKER,

Welcome to the forum.

The most ideal center speaker with a pair of RB-81's is another RB-81 but most HT/family room setups can't accommodate because of the vertical orientation of the speaker.

So center speakers would be the most obvious choice because of their horizontal orientation which fits better in a TV stand.  

Here are the ones that are most suggested in order of timbre matching.

RC-62

RC-62II

RC-64

RC-64II

RC-35

Where is your location?

Bill

Sorry for the late reply . . .

I'm east of Dallas. I've found that someone is selling a Klipsch RC-10 for $75.  I haven't asked them anything. That's cheaper than the $200 someone else is asking for their RC-62 II's.

I'm still trying to get the Denon to impress me. Maybe I should replace the RB-81's with RB-61's.

22 minutes ago, DUROCKER said:

I'm east of Dallas. I've found that someone is selling a Klipsch RC-10 for $75.

I personally would not go that route.  Two 4" woofers mating well with two 8" woofers is a tall order.  It will sound a bit thin.

26 minutes ago, DUROCKER said:

I'm still trying to get the Denon to impress me.

Impress you, how do you mean?

26 minutes ago, DUROCKER said:

Maybe I should replace the RB-81's with RB-61's.

The 61's are great bookshelf speakers and sound fantastic with stereo music but the 81's might still have the edge with a "bigger" sound for HT.

Bill

• Like 1

Hard to guess what "impress" means, but, .......

First look at the room.  Are there hard surfaces on the floor and walls between you and the speakers?  Too many reflections will change the sound and frequency response for the worse.  Use carpets and curtains for a more artistic approach to absorbent panels.  Persian rugs on the walls is a time-honored technique.  Angling the front speakers toward you so they bounce less energy off the walls might help.

Lot's of people have trouble setting up their HT receiver or pre/pro.  Be sure you have all of your speakers set to "small" so the sub gets low bass IN ADDITION to the LFE special effects.  Then, set the receiver crossover frequency 10 to 20 Hz above the published lower limit of each speaker individually.  Set the crossover on to the subwoofer to the max frequency setting to let the receiver do all the work.  Get and use a sound meter to set the levels of all the speakers and sub.  It cannot be done accurately by ear.  You may enjoy the sub more if you add 3 dB to its calibrated setting.  Measure the actual distances from your seat to each speaker for the timing calibration.  If you use Audessey and a calibrated mic, you will get reasonable results using it exactly as described in the manual. 

Your subwoofer is the least impressive.  I looked it up; it only goes down to 40 Hz!  Replace.  Two high quality, high output 12-inchers should be enough.  Be sure they dig down to at least 25 Hz.  I am partial to Klipsch, but I've also witnessed a demo of Klipsch subs against other well respected subs and the Klipsch killed the other one in low frequency output, distortion and lack of port noise. 

I would never go to smaller speakers hoping to be "impressed".  A 3rd RB-81 would make a good center channel speaker, too, even on it's side, but set the crossover even higher than the front left and right unless it is against a wall.   

2 hours ago, DUROCKER said:

I've found that someone is selling a Klipsch RC-10 for $75.  I haven't asked them anything. That's cheaper than the $200 someone else is asking for their RC-62 II's.

I don't say this about many Reference speakers but the 10 series IMO is the absolute worst sounding series of speakers that Klipsch produced with the name Reference attached to them. Stay clear of them.

Have you asked why they might be selling it for $200?  The RC-10 can't even kind of compare to the RC-62 II.  That's like comparing a McDonalds hamburger to a gormet dinner at a fancy restaurant.  At the end of the day, save for "Youthman Deals" you're going to get what you pay for.

2 hours ago, John Albright said:

First look at the room.  Are there hard surfaces on the floor and walls between you and the speakers?  Too many reflections will change the sound and frequency response for the worse.  Use carpets and curtains for a more artistic approach to absorbent panels.  Persian rugs on the walls is a time-honored technique.  Angling the front speakers toward you so they bounce less energy off the walls might help.

Lot's of people have trouble setting up their HT receiver or pre/pro.  Be sure you have all of your speakers set to "small" so the sub gets low bass IN ADDITION to the LFE special effects.  Then, set the receiver crossover frequency 10 to 20 Hz above the published lower limit of each speaker individually.  Set the crossover on to the subwoofer to the max frequency setting to let the receiver do all the work.  Get and use a sound meter to set the levels of all the speakers and sub.  It cannot be done accurately by ear.  You may enjoy the sub more if you add 3 dB to its calibrated setting.  Measure the actual distances from your seat to each speaker for the timing calibration.  If you use Audessey and a calibrated mic, you will get reasonable results using it exactly as described in the manual. 

Your subwoofer is the least impressive.  I looked it up; it only goes down to 40 Hz!  Replace.  Two high quality, high output 12-inchers should be enough.  Be sure they dig down to at least 25 Hz.  I am partial to Klipsch, but I've also witnessed a demo of Klipsch subs against other well respected subs and the Klipsch killed the other one in low frequency output, distortion and lack of port noise. 

I would never go to smaller speakers hoping to be "impressed".  A 3rd RB-81 would make a good center channel speaker, too, even on it's side, but set the crossover even higher than the front left and right unless it is against a wall.   

Thank you so much for the info!  My room is newly carpeted and has no windows, except for the french-door entry. If I can get a reasonably priced Klipsch SW to replace the Polk, I will do that. First things first, I must update my AVR settings as you recommend.

2 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I don't say this about many Reference speakers but the 10 series IMO is the absolute worst sounding series of speakers that Klipsch produced with the name Reference attached to them. Stay clear of them.

Have you asked why they might be selling it for $200?  The RC-10 can't even kind of compare to the RC-62 II.  That's like comparing a McDonalds hamburger to a gormet dinner at a fancy restaurant.  At the end of the day, save for "Youthman Deals" you're going to get what you pay for.

Hi, and no, I'm not sure why the seller is asking only $200, but it's in unopened box condition, so he photos.

I'm still waiting for his replay today.

49 minutes ago, DUROCKER said:

Hi, and no, I'm not sure why the seller is asking only $200, but it's in unopened box condition, so he photos.

I'm still waiting for his replay today.

My point is the RC-62 is worth looking at. The $75 RC-10 is not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DUROCKER said:

I'm sorry, I meant that I replaced an older Denon AVR that was setup with other speakers with the current model X4000 and it seems to be weak in comparison to the previous setup.

What Denon AVR did you own before?

Bill

On Friday, August 04, 2017 at 0:30 PM, John Albright said:

BTW, I decided to go with the RP-160M's as my FRONTS and get an RP-250C for center in the near future.

The 250 will leave you wanting for more IMO.  I'd at least try for the 440.  Two 5" drivers never did it for me at the center point.  You want that center speaker to be more beefy.  There's someone near me selling a NIB 450 for $400 right now...

• Like 1