Hidden Home Theater with Reference 7 5.1 system

tigervette

I am in the process of doing a 20x22 ft two floor room addition to my house. Main floor will be opened up into an open room.  I currently have the RF7s, RC-7, RS-7s, and RSW-15 sub.  My wife hates the look of the speakers and wants them hidden or gone. From what I can see, I only have two options with retaining the speakers.  Build them into a custom entertainment unit with fabric cloth and plug the vents.  Or build a false wall with speaker cloth and mount speakers behind it.  Room will have windows, a permanently mounted TV and a drop down projection screen to hide away.   What are your thoughts in how to deal with this situation?  Or just move towards the new reference premiere architectural speakers and mount in wall?

Initial approach was the layout facing the windows (gaps in walls).  Blue is the couch.    But the more I think about it, perhaps a false wall with speaker fabric would work better since it can also include the subwoofer and AV rack.  I'm still designing the dimensions of the room so it can still be flexible.   Bottom part is open to the dining room so it is not a fully enclosed space.

original plan layout.JPG

false wall.JPG

4 hours ago, tigervette said:

My wife hates the look of the speakers and wants them hidden or gone.

Welcome to the forum.

I am running the RF3's and think the 7's are just about the best for home theater. Hiding them behind any material will affect the frequencies heard, possibly loss of higher frequencies as they are easily absorbed by fabric. This can be mitigated with some tuning and the proper screen material , if using them behind the screen. This is one of the reasons I listen with speakers grills/covers removed.

Have you considered buying your wife a diamond or new car to improve WAF? I talked my wife into Jubilee's but it cost me a new refrigerator - not really a high price to pay in the end. :) 

On the other hand Klipsch has a big selection of in-wall speakers to choose from.

6 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Would your wife go for the idea of leaving your speakers out, but behind the screen?

They would be seen when the screen is up.

She doesn't ever want to see them again.  

Have you considered buying your wife a diamond or new car to improve WAF? I talked my wife into Jubilee's but it cost me a new refrigerator - not really a high price to pay in the end.

She's already gotten a renovated kitchen, new fridge, new minivan, and soon a renovated guest bathroom in 2017 alone...   The speakers are her pet peeve.

3 minutes ago, tigervette said:

She doesn't ever want to see them again.  

She's already gotten a renovated kitchen, new fridge, new minivan, and soon a renovated guest bathroom in 2017 alone...   The speakers are her pet peeve.

A false wall might be your best option, or you might have to take Ole Dollar's suggestion with in wall speakers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tigervette said:

I am going to agree with @Ceptorman on this.

Tell her you want Jubilee's and she may think the RF7's should stay - just kidding and don't want to cause you any marriage issues.

I've been working with a Klipsch dealer named Cory from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and he has been great about getting me information on the less common Klipsch lines. He may be a good resource for the in-wall stuff. Good luck and totally agree on keeping the wife happy.

Disclaimer - I am a current customer of Cory's but have no other relationship to his business.

2 hours ago, tigervette said:

Seems to me that she "owes" you something and that is tolerating your "ugly" speakers.;):P

Bill

• Like 1

A false wall will work great.  There are many HT's with a false wall and they sound great.  So,SQ  is not a big issue and neither are the grills.  A marriage is about compromise and having speakers in a media, is not unusual.  Don't let a little low T stop you from firmly  voicing your opinion.  You could go with in-wall for side surrounds.

Rule#2 of Man Cave, Man decorates room, no other input allowed, lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willland said:

Seems to me that she "owes" you something and that is tolerating your "ugly" speakers.;):P

Bill

I have to agree with Bill.  She got all those things and she's still giving you shit about the speakers?  Marriage is about compromise.  It's not her house, it's both your house.  

6 hours ago, Loudnobnoxious said:

I have to agree with Bill.  She got all those things and she's still giving you shit about the speakers?  Marriage is about compromise.  It's not her house, it's both your house.  

My comments were a little "tongue in cheek" but that is kind of what I was saying.

Maybe a false wall that has removable panels/screens where you can see all that copper every once in a while.  When the bride is home, cover them up, when she is away, let them breathe.

Bill

She's agreed to do a false wall approach but this won't be the typical fabric screen false wall.  The room has to look like a normal room and be able to support a home theater.   I plan to have the projection screen and projector be hidden via motorized mounts. Place the RF-7's and RC-7 behind the false wall and may get the SVS Ultra PB16 to complement it. The false wall has to look like a normal textured drywall.  Can do the speaker grills cutouts in wall with acoustic fabric but rest of wall has to look like a living room. Behind wall will be storage for AV rack and ease of wiring, so leaning towards being unfinished wall. What is the best way to construct this wall, drywall with OSB and sound deadening foam?  I'm worried about how the sub will resonate in the room behind the false wall.  Room size behind false wall will be around 4x20.

Edited by tigervette