RP 280F Crossover Network Mod

DubPlate

This is a shot in the dark folks. I own the 280s, I love them. The dynamics, Lows and mids on these things are amazing. However, after several months of use, positioning, and calibrations, I still finds the highs a little fatiguing.

Is anyone aware of any

aftermarket crossover network that I could employ to address this issue, or even just to get a little more out of the speakers?

I am not savvy enough to make an actual crossover network, looking for something I could simple install.

Thanks.

First make sure your room is not too reflective.  Hard surfaces, especially walls do what you describe. 

Next, try covering the back of the horn with rope caulk.  You can get it at Ace and Home Depot, at least. 

JA is correct, really there are 2 easy ways to resolve this imo --

1) You should have some acoustic panels at the first reflection points.  That will solve this issue - period  You are getting reflections off the walls and there's no real way to make them go away except to reduce them below a threshold where you hear them.  Panels do just that.  One panel on the left, one on the right, hopefully placed such that they can cover the L C and R positions.

2) Autocalibration programs read the room and then try and adjust the sound for them. Audyssey, YPAO, Trinnov DRC and so forth all are technologies that will do this.  It's not the same as #1, but works well enough it often solves exactly what you don't like without having to add panels.

The speakers themselves are fine, the issue, as always, is the room they are in.  Great that you asked the question because it would be easy to think you need different speakers, and that IS a solution but not a good one.  Instead, you want to tame those highs.  Think of it this way.   The speaker is doing everything right.  But when that tweeter bounces off the wall, it is reflecting back and adding to the volume you hear from the tweeters.  By reducing that reflection, you reduce the tweeter volume, and bring things back where they should be.

3) Toeing in the speakers more can sometimes help.  Since they are reflecting off walls, toeing them in can reduce those reflections some.

3 ideas to help.   It is not the speakers!