Claude's "Super Heresy" from Frankensmurfs

DizRotus

This project accidentally started due to the thread below,

The topic of using the components of the Frankensmurfs to create @ClaudeJ1's "Super Heresys" (I know the plural of heresy is heresies, but Heresy, as used by Klipsch, is a proper noun, so the plural can be Heresys, plus, it's my thread) is better in this forum than the alerts forum.

The Frankensmurfs are due to arrive on Tuesday.  A 4x8 sheet of Baltic birch will be available on Monday.  The pair of Eminence Delta Pro 12A woofers will be delivered next week.

A pair of Eminence APT 50 tweeters and APT 200 baby cheeks have been collecting dust.  This pawn shop mess might be a bit of stone soup, but I'm picking up speed on this slippery slope.  Now to wait for lightning to strike so new life can be breathed into the monsters.

More photos and updates to follow.

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

EDIT :  8/5/17

I've got a pair of autformers that might work.  On closer inspection they're chokes taken from some long forgotten Klipsch network, which will be of no use.  Perhaps the tweeters or network components from the the F'smurfs will be useable.

My guess is the Frankensmurfs started life as 2-ways, but were converted to 3-ways when the squawkers were added.

First mistake, forgot to order the recommended ports when I ordered the woofers.  Now I will have to pay shipping or spend another $100 bucks on something else.  Perhaps a subwoofer amp would help avoid the shipping on two small plastic ports.

IMG_0137.JPG

30 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

First mistake, forgot to order the recommended ports when I ordered the woofers.  Now I will have to pay shipping or spend another $100 bucks on something else.  Perhaps a subwoofer amp would help avoid the shipping on two small plastic ports.

IMG_0137.JPG

Holy cow, you'll do anything to get that "free" shipping, wont' you, geez.

I have a spare port you can have. The ports can be the last thing to go in the cabinets. In fact, my router setup is still intact for the PRECISE hole required for these. So, the wise thing to do is to wait and see what else you need to complete the project KIT first before "pull the trigger," as it were.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Looks like a cool project Diz, keep us posted and you know we love photos. I rebuilt a pair a Heresys a couple years ago, it was a fun build, not too complicated and well worth the effort.

h5.thumb.jpg.d410291b834fa151d924f09e04076e15.jpg

Mike,

I'll be wrapping up the work on my son's H1s today so photos will be posted in the Duratex thread.

How did you get permission to build speakers in a hospital room?  My garage is a comparative disaster.

Not my garage! I have a small woodshop at my work and I like to set a good example and leave it cleaner than I found it when doing a project there. I would guess my garage and yours probably look about the same. Here is a photo taken in my garage when working on a different project. A little more "lived in"!

agarage.thumb.JPG.24c30dde874f66a27926b8197017fa7f.JPG

10 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Not my garage! I have a small woodshop at my work and I like to set a good example and leave it cleaner than I found it when doing a project there. I would guess my garage and yours probably look about the same. Here is a photo taken in my garage when working on a different project. A little more "lived in"!

agarage.thumb.JPG.24c30dde874f66a27926b8197017fa7f.JPG

Now I can go to my garage without so much guilt.  Yours is still much neater, though. Thank you.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Mike,

I'll be wrapping up the work on my son's H1s today so photos will be posted in the Duratex thread.

How did you get permission to build speakers in a hospital room?  My garage is a comparative disaster.

CNC surgeons Always keep clean operating theaters. "Better listening through cleanliness". Or something 

like that, hell, its still early!

The Frankensmurfs arrived.  They actually sounded pretty good playing Take Five, despite one tweeter with an open VC.  The K-57 and K701 will go into the Super Hs.  The K-76 can be easily repaired to be used in the Super Hs or the KP-101 cabinets I'll probably build.  Other than the barrier strips and inductors, doesn't appear to be much to reuse from the KP-2.0A 3-way networks.

IMG_0306 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0308 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0314 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0320 (Medium).JPG

On 8/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, John Albright said:

The blue is kinda cute!  I'll design you a crossover if you want. 

The plan is to put a pair of Bob Crites' titanium diaphragms in the K76 tweeters.  Then either the Eminence APT50 or the K76s will go into the Super Heresys.  The other will go in KP101 clones with the 8" woofers recently acquired.  

A schamtic for a KP-101 would be most welcome.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, DizRotus said:

The Crites titanium diaphragms for the K76s arrived, as did the autotransformers.  Soon, as time permits, I'll start making some sawdust.

Nice.  I'm sooooooo jealous.  I have 2 audio projects I'm wanting to start on but home remodeling is preventing me.  I'd much rather be working on speakers.  I have an extremely rare pair of MEL H2's to refinish and a pair of KP-2500's I'm thinking of de-furring.

• Like 1